Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston or Seattle
Boston 35 47.30%
Seattle 39 52.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 08:02 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
I'm still leaning towards Boston. There's just something about it that feels more "central", and it is. I never knew that you could get to the mountains and/or beach so quickly, and I would've figured the trips to NYC among other cities nearby would be a lot longer than they really are. Whereas in Seattle, your choices for large cities within a driving distance are pretty much Portland or Vancouver. I have a feeling I'd feel more "open" and free in Boston.

The main reason why I'm still considering Seattle is because I just love the vibe it gives off: laid-back and carefree. Not to mention its natural beauty.
It's about 4 hours to Mid-Town Manhattan from Downtown Boston.

The main difference between the East Coast and the West Coast is that the East Coast is one giant sandy beach and often the water is warm enough to swim in as far north as southern Maine. From Cape Cod south the water is 70 degrees and above in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 11:28 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
I've never seen such a neck at neck poll.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:40 PM

422 posts, read 815,395 times
Last week, I researched polls with at least 25,000 views on City vs. City. Boston and SF go toe-to-toe in one poll. It's crazy. Those are the two closest cities on this forum in terms of being dead even. SF and SEA and BOS and SEA are generally pretty contested as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I've never seen such a neck at neck poll.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
It's about 4 hours to Mid-Town Manhattan from Downtown Boston.

The main difference between the East Coast and the West Coast is that the East Coast is one giant sandy beach and often the water is warm enough to swim in as far north as southern Maine. From Cape Cod south the water is 70 degrees and above in the summer.
True, these are big pluses for Boston. The proximity to Montreal is a big plus for me. You can use those beaches. As for the beauty of the snow-capped Olympics across Puget Sound, you can only look at them.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
True, these are big pluses for Boston. The proximity to Montreal is a big plus for me. You can use those beaches. As for the beauty of the snow-capped Olympics across Puget Sound, you can only look at them.
You can hike in them (and get a view like the last photo here

How is that any different than visiting a beach?

Old 05-08-2012, 05:41 PM

12 posts, read 31,287 times
No matter where I go, I'll always miss the Rockies. I'd rather try something a bit new though, so in this case, the beach > the mountains. It's kind of a bummer that I wouldn't be around any mountains living in Boston, but thankfully there are a few places to ski around the area and I'd be willing to take the trip to see something bigger.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
You can hike in them (and get a view like the last photo here

How is that any different than visiting a beach?
Not big on hiking. Prefer going to the beach, any day. Going to the beach in LA was part and parcel of growing up. I've even stopped skiing. I remember I found it thrilling while in college, and couldn't wait for the winter break between semesters. Now, it's expensive and not worth it. That said, my favorite thing about the mountains now is seeing fall colors.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:11 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Who on earth said you can't swim in Seattle? If you find the sound too cold go on the eastern side of the city to Lake Washington. I lived 4 blocks from LW and use to swim in there all the time. The lake is over 25 miles in length and there are numerous beaches up and down the lake. I use to swim at Madison Park, Madrona and Mount Baker Beach the most. Also along Puget Sound particularly along Alki Beach you can skate, ride your bike, jog or walk for miles along the water or even *gasp* swim! This while watching the ferries and other boats go by. And it includes the Olympic Mountains in full view. Seasonally, killer whales come thru and every once in a while seals stop by.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:49 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Lake Washington

Alki Beach

Old 05-08-2012, 08:57 PM

159 posts, read 428,277 times
Is the Sound too cold to swim in? Or too dirty? I know the Pacific up there definitely is... but since Puget Sound is so sheltered, does it heat up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City