Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston or Seattle
Boston 35 47.30%
Seattle 39 52.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 11:16 AM

12 posts, read 31,290 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to finally move out of Denver and I've narrowed down my choices to either Seattle or Boston. I'm leaning a bit more towards Boston because from what I've heard it wins in art, music, food, and museums, all of which are big factors for me. On the other hand, my BIGGEST concern would probably be my social life. Bostonians are usually said to be more cold and aloof, and just in general less sociable. This could be a problem for me as I'm moving alone and I'm not the best at making friends - I'm worried I won't have any. I've also heard that it rains just as much, if not more, in Boston than it does in Seattle. I do love the rain but if it really is as wet as I believe it to be, I'd get sick of the weather.

Putting weather aside, considering these factors would I enjoy myself more in Boston or Seattle? -

- Which is cleaner?
- Which has the worse traffic?
- Which has more of a "big city" feel to it?
- Which is more diverse?
- Which has more trees and greenery?
- Which has the more attractive waterfront?
- Which is more walkable?
- Which has the better outdoor recreation?
- Which is better if I'm interested in art, culture, and music?
- Which have you found easier to start a conversation in? And which do you think would be easier to make long-term friends?

Also, is it true that people are more cold in Boston and I'd have a tougher time making friends? And does it really rain as much in Boston as it does in Seattle?

I know these are a lot of questions to consider, but I'm having a really tough time deciding on one or the other. I'd appreciate any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 11:21 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,799,060 times
You have to remember, there is a massive amount of people living in the city of Boston and the metro area that are not from here. The notion that Boston is a very unfriendly city is overblown. If you live here, you will not have issues making friends. I currently work with 4 people who are from the west coast and England that moved here, by themselves, and have found groups of friends. It can be easily done.

Boston's traffic is not as bad as Seattle's.

I think it's a push on cleanliness.

Seattle's downtown feels larger than Boston's, namely because they have larger roads and it's set up as a grid. But overall, Boston feels slightly more like a big city.

Diversity may also be a push.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:16 PM

12 posts, read 31,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
You have to remember, there is a massive amount of people living in the city of Boston and the metro area that are not from here. The notion that Boston is a very unfriendly city is overblown. If you live here, you will not have issues making friends. I currently work with 4 people who are from the west coast and England that moved here, by themselves, and have found groups of friends. It can be easily done.
Thanks for the tip, that's a big relief off my shoulders.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:33 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.T. View Post
I'm looking to finally move out of Denver and I've narrowed down my choices to either Seattle or Boston. I'm leaning a bit more towards Boston because from what I've heard it wins in art, music, food, and museums, all of which are big factors for me. On the other hand, my BIGGEST concern would probably be my social life. Bostonians are usually said to be more cold and aloof, and just in general less sociable. This could be a problem for me as I'm moving alone and I'm not the best at making friends - I'm worried I won't have any. I've also heard that it rains just as much, if not more, in Boston than it does in Seattle. I do love the rain but if it really is as wet as I believe it to be, I'd get sick of the weather.

Putting weather aside, considering these factors would I enjoy myself more in Boston or Seattle? -

- Which is cleaner?
- Which is more diverse?
- Which have you found easier to start a conversation in? And which do you think would be easier to make long-term friends?

Also, is it true that people are more cold in Boston and I'd have a tougher time making friends? And does it really rain as much in Boston as it does in Seattle?

I know these are a lot of questions to consider, but I'm having a really tough time deciding on one or the other. I'd appreciate any replies.
Boston wins, especially with the things your looking for. Boston feels like a much larger city and region, its just as clean as Seattle, just as diverse if not more, just as green, has one of the nicest waterfronts offered in the U.S., much more walkable, and much superior in culture, music, and the arts. No not even close with that one. Seattle does win in outdoor recreation with its majestic mountains and scenic calm waters of the pudget sound. Seattle is also easier to have outgoing conversations with to those that live there, they are more outgoing but in Boston after they warm up to you those are the people you would be grateful for knowing and one day you'll thank yourself for it.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:25 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,604 times
Both are great cities, you really can't go wrong on this. I have opinions on most of these or in some cases, I think there is an objective truth. Either way, I'll give you the answer as I see it.

Quote:

- Which is cleaner? tie
- Which has the worse traffic? Boston
- Which has more of a "big city" feel to it? Boston
- Which is more diverse? Tie, though this depends somewhat on how you define diversity
- Which has more trees and greenery? Tie, although the natural scenery around Seattle is by far more spectacular. Just the same, Boston is a very green, woodsie place, even in the city.
- Which has the more attractive waterfront? Seattle
- Which is more walkable? Boston
- Which has the better outdoor recreation? Tie
- Which is better if I'm interested in art, culture, and music? Boston
- Which have you found easier to start a conversation in? Probably Seattle
And which do you think would be easier to make long-term friends? tie -- you'll likely get there sooner in Seattle, but the relationships you form in Boston will be just as impactful.

Also, is it true that people are more cold in Boston and I'd have a tougher time making friends? Depends on your own personal style. It is true that we are less likely to interact with a stranger for no reason, but we are still quite approachable in Boston.

And does it really rain as much in Boston as it does in Seattle? Yes, unfortunately

You can always flip a coin

Old 05-03-2012, 02:12 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,648,291 times
Quote:
I'm looking to finally move out of Denver and I've narrowed down my choices to either Seattle or Boston. I'm leaning a bit more towards Boston because from what I've heard it wins in art, music, food, and museums, all of which are big factors for me.
Let's start here. Not so sure about art and museums. So i will concede to Boston. Boston certainly wins for its rich history. But I take exception to your food contention. Seattle's seafood is at least as good as Boston's and likely better. And the availability of locally grown fruits and veggies is far superior. spend one afternoon at the Pike Place Market or any of the local Farmer's markets. WA is a HUGE agricultural state) And let's not forget, WA is the 2nd largest wine producing region in the US. WA wines are world renowned.

- Which is cleaner? Seattle
- Which has the worse traffic? Tie, they both suck.
- Which has more of a "big city" feel to it? This is also a tie.
- Which is more diverse? Seattle is lilly white with a strong asian influence, So Boston.
- Which has more trees and greenery? In the city? Probably a tie, but as previously mentioned, the natural splendor the the NW is a slam dunk for Seattle.
- Which has the more attractive waterfront? Seattle's waterfront is going through a major overhaul. So Seattle
- Which is more walkable? Tie, but Boston with fewer hills.
- Which has the better outdoor recreation? Seattle and it's not close.(3 National Parks within 60 miles, great skiing nearby...water everywhere)
- Which is better if I'm interested in art, culture, and music? The music scene in Seattle is top notch. Arts are too. But Boston probably wins the art and museum category.
- Which have you found easier to start a conversation in? And which do you think would be easier to make long-term friends? If you have decent people skills you should be fine either place.

Quote:
Seattle rains less, but more often. If overcast weather is an issue for you, Boston is likely a better idea. However, Seattle's weather is far milder than Boston's. Boston gets much hotter and much colder.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:14 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,251,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Seattle's seafood is at least as good as Boston's and likely better.
It tastes more fresh in Seattle and Boston is very hard to beat but I think Seattle has done it on seafood IMO.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:49 PM

159 posts, read 428,317 times
Quote:
I'm looking to finally move out of Denver and I've narrowed down my choices to either Seattle or Boston.
Well, first of all, you're playing around with what I believe to be the best three cities in the country: Denver, Boston and Seattle. All three are very, very different places, but I think they have the strongest character of all the large cities in the nation. It's a bit like comparing apples and oranges, though. But let me attempt to walk you through this...

Quote:
On the other hand, my BIGGEST concern would probably be my social life. Bostonians are usually said to be more cold and aloof, and just in general less sociable.
My parents are both from MA, and while I was born in Newport, RI, I think Boston is one of the most regional 'hub' cities in the country, and thus representative of New Enlgnaders as a whole (with the exception of SW Connecticut, who wishes strongly that it could become part of NYC).

I tend to believe that New Englanders are very honest with strangers and, because of this, they come off as cold. If a New Englander isn't interested in talking to you, they're not going to do it -- they're not big on small talk, and they're not going to whisper sweet nothings in your ear simply because you want to hear it. They're very 'real' people, and for folks coming from the south or the midwest, where everyone appears constantly warm or comforting (souless, IMO), this can seem like anti-social behavior. In fact, I think it's actually the antithesis of that. You always know where you stand with someone from Boston -- always. That can be very valuable. Also, it tends to make the real friendships you develop just that much more honest and frank -- you know the person probably isn't just hanging around you because they didn't know how to say no.

Contrary to this is the so-called 'Seattle freeze,' which, I think, is the complete opposite of the general behavior of New Englanders. In Seattle, people act like they really want to be chummy, but, in reality, they have little interest in carrying on a conversation. So, whereas the people in Boston would just blow you off, the people in Seattle will string you along and then lie to you repeatedly just to avoid an actual legitimate interaction or a relationship.

I'm not saying this is death-blow for Seattle by any means, and certainly there are bad and good people in both places (I mean, I've lived in Boston, and am moving to Seattle in six months, so I obviously see value in both places). But, in terms of an outgoing social scene, I think you're going to enjoy Boston with its raucious, in-your-face love of all things Bruins/Celts/Patriots and, above all else, RED SOX than you are Seattle's far more closeted, 'ha ha, you are charming (but I'm actually trying to walk away from you right now and can't think up an exit strategy)' culture.

---

Also, you mentioned weather. Seattle has more gray days than Boston, but receives less rain. In New England, you can absolutely bank on 4-5 good Nor'easters a year (depending, of course, on El Nino/La Nina conditions in the Pacific, which tend to screw things up one way or the other). Personally, I love love LOVE snow, and there's nothing -- absolutely nothing -- quite like watching a storm come in, and tuning into the weather to see the buildup and the panic as it arrives. New England gets tons of snow (not necessarily Boston though -- depends a lot on storm track), but they also know how to deal with it very, very effectively, so while you may miss work from time to time, you'll be amazed how fast the salt trucks get things under control. If you appreciate a winter wonderland, you'll get it in New England -- you will not get it in Seattle.

Additionally, something to consider is that in Boston, you're going to see the sun a fair amount even during the winter. It won't be warm, but there will still be dazzlingly-clear days (like there are in Denver in December at times). It's not the norm, but it's WAY MORE COMMON than it is in Seattle, where you can go weeks on end and only see a little ptch of sunlight. But, Seattle doesn't get the snow, so if that really bothers you, then the west coast may be where you want to go.

Quote:

- Which is cleaner?
Seattle, but at the expense of character.

Quote:
Seattle. Boston has an excellent mass transit system, with rail lines reaching out in six or seven different directions. Seattle is all cars. ALL CARS. And no, the Sounder does NOT count.

Quote:
Impossible to define. Seattle is a more 'lonely' city than Boston, which has regional centers like Providence and Manchester and Hartford practically within shouting distance. Boston's metro area is bigger, though, and it is a regional as opposed to state center. Boston feels almost like the majestic capital city of its own little country -- Seattle feels like the biggest city in Washington, not unlike how Portland feels like the biggest city in Oregon, or Birmingham for Alabama. Boston prides itself on being the nexus of all things New England. But, again, it's difficult to make a clear-cut call on this.

Quote:
- Which is more diverse?
Once upon a time, Boston. The place still claims a big Irish/Italian influence, but, IMO, it's just been too long in the melting pot. Seattle has a very, very strong asian presence and feel, and this is much more closely linked to Japan/Korea/Taiwan/China than the Italians and Irish in Boston are to their respective homelands.

Quote:
And here we come to the really, really dicey number in the whole bunch.

What you have to ask yourself here is, what do you mean by greenery? If you mean simple things like parks, then the winner is Boston by a longshot. But if you're talking about accessibility to things like the 'great outdoors,' I think Seattle wins hands down. The tallest mountains near Boston are the White Mts. in New Hampshire, a good 2 hours to the north. And, compared to the Rockies, they're going to look like foothills to you (the White Mountains were created by an igneous intrustion through Appalachians courtesy of the New England Hotspot millions of years ago -- they've got decent local relief, but they're no Pike's Peak or Mt. Elbert by any stretch of the imagination, and their footprint is TINY. When driving, you're into and out of them in under an hour).

Certainly, you can't see the mountains from Boston -- you can't see much of anything in fact. New England is a hilly, but geographically ho-hum place aside from the ocean (which you can swim in during the summer, unlike Seattle), and a few patches of mountains. Step outside in Seattle and it's like BLAMMO -- MOUNT RAINIER, IN YOUR FACE (if you can see it -- clouds often obscure it), BLAMMO -- THE OLYMPIC MOUNTAINS, BLAMMO -- THE CASCADES.

So while Seattle might not have as much greenery right downtown, it's infinitely easier to see and appreciate nature's majesty in Seattle than it is in Boston.

Quote:
Utter toss up. Boston's downtown (and, by extension, its waterfront), is more walkable than Seattle's is. However, Seattle has the ferries, Pikes Place Market, a far busier port (which I love to watch), etc.

Quote:
Boston. It just is.

Quote:
In the city, Boston. Close to the city, Seattle. In terms of sports, Boston -- it's the sports capital of planet Earth.

Quote:
Boston. You've got the Pops, you've got that old world feel... yeah, Boston. But, again, that's not to say Seattle isn't close.

Quote:
You'll have an easier time talking to people in Seattle.

You'll have an easier time making life-long friends in Boston.

Quote:
And does it really rain as much in Boston as it does in Seattle?
It rains more in Boston, but on far fewer days.

Quote:
Hey, no sweat. Currently, I'm bouncing between Denver and Seattle like a rubber ball. I've done New England to death since I was a little kid, and really want to live some place where the spectacular scenery is everywhere whenever I walk out my front door.

One important thing that you didn't ask about is architecture -- IE, the style of homes and townhouses. New England has cute down to a science. They have patented adorable. Every other town looks like this:

Every other house looks like this:

And that's really not an exageration. Sure, New England has plenty of ugly, rundown spots (many of the larger towns were former mill cities, and while a lot of those mills have been transformed into malls/apartments, there are just as many that sit derelict -- at least one big one burns down every couple of years).

New England is old -- damned old; just about older than anywhere else in the country, and it shows. The roads wind, the towns all have greens at the center, the old core of every village is populated by adorable capes and queen annes. And, because it's so old, a lot of it just seems to fit together perfectly, like a post card.

Seattle, on the other hand, is one of the newest large cities in the country, and because of that, almost all the surrounding construction is post 1950s. There is no cohesion to anything -- you'll occasionally blunder into a charming victorian house out of the blue, but if you're looking for picture-perfect downtowns and matching architecture, it simply isn't there. New England has a theme for everything, Seattle is all over the map.

As someone from Denver, try to imagine New England as Georgetown down I-70 (but 100 years older), and Seattle as some Denver suburb like, oh, Lakewood. It's not -that- bad, but it's still extremely noticeable when you compare the two.

If you have any other questions, ask away. My wife would really like to move back to New England, so while it's not technically 'in the running' for me, I weight it again Seattle and Denver all the time.

Last edited by ShrikeArghast; 05-03-2012 at 07:26 PM..

Old 05-03-2012, 09:13 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrikeArghast View Post

What you have to ask yourself here is, what do you mean by greenery? If you mean simple things like parks, then the winner is Boston by a longshot. But if you're talking about accessibility to things like the 'great outdoors,' I think Seattle wins hands down. The tallest mountains near Boston are the White Mts. in New Hampshire, a good 2 hours to the north. And, compared to the Rockies, they're going to look like foothills to you (the White Mountains were created by an igneous intrustion through Appalachians courtesy of the New England Hotspot millions of years ago -- they've got decent local relief, but they're no Pike's Peak or Mt. Elbert by any stretch of the imagination, and their footprint is TINY. When driving, you're into and out of them in under an hour).
To nitpick, the base to summit of Mt. Adams in the Whites is higher than Mt. Elbert of the Rockies. Not saying the White Mountains are comparable in grandeur to the Rockies, just that in a few small spots they do a decent job of giving a "big mountain" feel. The North Cascades and the Olympics are spectacularly grand compared to the Olympics.

Boston felt much more big city to me mainly because its much denser. The extensive rail system helps, too. Seattle's downtown is nice and so are the surrounding neighborhoods but in my opinion Boston's architecture is better and gives a nicer big city feel.

If I had to choose I'd stay in Boston most of the year and Seattle two months in late summer so I had a chance to escape to the mountains. Can't go wrong...

Old 05-03-2012, 10:10 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,648,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrikeArghast View Post

Contrary to this is the so-called 'Seattle freeze,' which, I think, is the complete opposite of the general behavior of New Englanders. In Seattle, people act like they really want to be chummy, but, in reality, they have little interest in carrying on a conversation. So, whereas the people in Boston would just blow you off, the people in Seattle will string you along and then lie to you repeatedly just to avoid an actual legitimate interaction or a relationship. .
I found your post to be a fair portrait for the most part. But this observation seems silly to me. Anyone with decent social skills will make plenty of friends in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City