Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2012, 01:54 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

Flint is not Detroit, just as Gary isn't Chicago.
I wasn't the one who stated it so don't quote me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Atlanta is closer to Nashville and Charlotte than Minneapolis is to the next 1+ million city, but Atlanta is much further away from the next major, global-esque city than Minneapolis is to Chicago. So although you're close to some other cities, Minneapolis is closer to Chicago, a truly global city. It's also 5 hours to Milwaukee and Omaha, 4 hours to Madison and Des Moines, and 7 hours to KC. St. Louis isn't so far as it is difficult to navigate to without direct interstate connection, but it could also be included. So although isolated, so is Atlanta, and I wouldn't consider Charlotte, Nashville, Birmingham or Jacksonville as "better" than KC, Omaha, Milwaukee, or Madison......not to mention Chicago.
Exactly.

Last edited by BlackOut; 05-05-2012 at 02:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 02:17 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Atlanta is closer to Nashville and Charlotte than Minneapolis is to the next 1+ million city, but Atlanta is much further away from the next major, global-esque city than Minneapolis is to Chicago. So although you're close to some other cities, Minneapolis is closer to Chicago, a truly global city. It's also 5 hours to Milwaukee and Omaha, 4 hours to Madison and Des Moines, and 7 hours to KC. St. Louis isn't so far as it is difficult to navigate to without direct interstate connection, but it could also be included. So although isolated, so is Atlanta, and I wouldn't consider Charlotte, Nashville, Birmingham or Jacksonville as "better" than KC, Omaha, Milwaukee, or Madison......not to mention Chicago.
Um no no, Chicago, KC, and Milwaukee are the only major cities in the Midwest that closer to Minneapolis than Atlanta ironically. And you do know Chicago to Minneapolis is about just as far as Cincinnati to Atlanta dis

Last edited by chiatldal; 05-05-2012 at 02:27 PM..

Old 05-05-2012, 02:45 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,781 times
Quote:
That's how we feel/felt about the South, until people blindly migrated there for God knows why.

To me, it the difference between the "has beens" and the "never was/were". The Midwest cities were once truly great American cities and meccas for cultural attractions, while with exceptions here and there (Atlanta being one), most Southern cities never were truly great at one point in American history. There are 6+ cities in the Midwest that were once top 15 cities in this country.....can you say that about the South? It is a very interesting thing to be here in Cleveland (where we recently relocated for family reasons) and be in a city that is widely considered one of the least desirable places to relocate to in this country, yet you can see that this city was CLEARLY a very important place in America at some point, because the city is built to be another Chicago, Philly or Boston, yet never maintained its growth and robustness. The same could be probably said for Detroit, St. Louis, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh (not sure if it counts as Midwestern), Milwaukee, and Chicago.....and even the Twin Cities, Kansas City, Indy, and Columbus.
Cool but it doesnt really mean anything to me. The midwest is full of cities that are at best on the American radar not the worlds radar. They're important to America both past and present but hardly a force in the world. Midwest gives us 3 international cities with Chicago, Minneapolis, and Detroit and thats it. The south especially with the census definitions has DC, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Miami which are all international/globally known cities. Even Orlando, Nashville, Austin, and New Orleans have global aspects to them more than any other midwestern city outside of your regions 'big 3'. Your post screams American to me, especially when you talk about how these cities were influential to America, some of the largest cities in America, helped create America well thats good but thats not where the world is today. Today theres things that are much more important than just America, we're a global community and these midwestern cities are outdated.

The south has more diversity, there is no place in the midwest that is as diverse or international as Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, DC, or Houston except Chicago and to an extent Detroit and Minneapolis. There are no midwestern metropolises larger than those southern metropolises except Chicago. None more powerful except Chicago. None with as many global ties except Chicago. Midwest seems like a nice enough place for a family but its a has been region, its best days are far behind it and the souths/wests best days are ahead of it. Go ahead and try to make a case about their growth slowdown, seems to be the only thing midwesterners are good at making excuses and prolific remarks about a day when their region resurges once again. You lost the game, your region is now the smallest, least important, offers the least, less exciting, and its uninspiring. I'll take water shortage problems with a great city over unlimited water in the middle of a prairie anyday. Except for Indy and Columbus nearly every midwestern city declined in population in recent censuses.

Get used to hear the word 'underrated' when used for the midwest, its losing its appeal by the day [sans Indy or Columbus].

Last edited by Slyman11; 05-05-2012 at 02:55 PM..

Old 05-05-2012, 09:09 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Um no no, Chicago, KC, and Milwaukee are the only major cities in the Midwest that closer to Minneapolis than Atlanta ironically. And you do know Chicago to Minneapolis is about just as far as Cincinnati to Atlanta dis
Does Cincy = Chicago in this weird-a$$ hypothetical?

Minneapolis to St. Louis is 467 miles
Atlanta to St. Louis is 469 miles

So again, KC, St. Louis, Milwaukee and Chicago beats the tar out of Nashville, Charlotte, Jacksonville and Birmingham.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
Cool but it doesnt really mean anything to me. The midwest is full of cities that are at best on the American radar not the worlds radar. They're important to America both past and present but hardly a force in the world. Midwest gives us 3 international cities with Chicago, Minneapolis, and Detroit and thats it. The south especially with the census definitions has DC, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Miami which are all international/globally known cities. Even Orlando, Nashville, Austin, and New Orleans have global aspects to them more than any other midwestern city outside of your regions 'big 3'. Your post screams American to me, especially when you talk about how these cities were influential to America, some of the largest cities in America, helped create America well thats good but thats not where the world is today. Today theres things that are much more important than just America, we're a global community and these midwestern cities are outdated.

The south has more diversity, there is no place in the midwest that is as diverse or international as Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, DC, or Houston except Chicago and to an extent Detroit and Minneapolis. There are no midwestern metropolises larger than those southern metropolises except Chicago. None more powerful except Chicago. None with as many global ties except Chicago. Midwest seems like a nice enough place for a family but its a has been region, its best days are far behind it and the souths/wests best days are ahead of it. Go ahead and try to make a case about their growth slowdown, seems to be the only thing midwesterners are good at making excuses and prolific remarks about a day when their region resurges once again. You lost the game, your region is now the smallest, least important, offers the least, less exciting, and its uninspiring. I'll take water shortage problems with a great city over unlimited water in the middle of a prairie anyday. Except for Indy and Columbus nearly every midwestern city declined in population in recent censuses.

Get used to hear the word 'underrated' when used for the midwest, its losing its appeal by the day [sans Indy or Columbus].
Underrated is a compliment, btw, so I'll take that over "unlimited water in the middle of the prairie", for one. Orlando, Nashville and Austin have NOT contributed more to the world than Kansas City, St. Louis, or Cleveland, and if you believe that you probably aren't very well educated.

We lost the game? The South utterly blows and yet you STILL brag about its greatness. There isn't ONE great city in the South (unless you include DC in the South, and I don't). Atlanta is not great, Houston is not great, Dallas is not great, and Miami is far from great. The cities are brand new and built cheaply, not to mention God-awfully ugly! It's cheap as hell to live there for a reason. It's the WORST in education and crime, two aspects I personally take with high regard (I know I know....you don't). You're making fun of the Midwest for having a family-oriented culture? What an odd remark -- since when is that a bad thing?! You make fun of our cities for losing population, even though the ONLY cities that grew were those which annexed land (C-bus and Indy) and every other city has hard and defined boundaries that will probably NEVER change.

Don't get confused: just because the South is growing does NOT make it great! If you want to be great you'll have to do MORE than steal Africans and force them to live in and love your cities, and steal industry from the North because your bumfuk cousins only ask for minimum wage with no job security because that's by FAR the best option most of you have. At least Northern cities PAID their industrial employees to be middle class citizens!

Boy the South sounds sweet!

Old 05-05-2012, 09:36 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
The South's big cities, for the most part, are better than the Midwest's big cities.

Using the main cities in each region, Atlanta and Chicago, more professional people would choose to live in Atlanta over Chicago. Once you clear metro Chicago, the area is hit with an ugly stick. In winter, it looks like driving through the tundra. North of Atlanta, the North Georgia mountains are fairly scenic.

Other cities such as Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill are very nice metro areas. The first is a financial center and the second is more diversified. Ohioans move to NC in droves, and don't move back.

Houston is America's 4th largest city. They have everything. Even a beach 47 miles away. Pick your passion: a big A/C bill or a big heating bill. As for other Texas cities, Austin seems to have its share of fans. I am definitely not a fan of Dallas, because I don't like the landscape at all.

They say Birmingham is fairly nice, but I've only passed through. I will admit like I don't like any of Tennessee's big cities, but that's because I don't like the location. That said, I wouldn't like analogous Louisville KY or Cincinnati OH either.

Florida. Not a big fan of Orlando, but living in Miami, Tampa or Jacksonville means living by the beach. Can't beat Florida's ocean. Their skylines are modern. For some, that means nondescript. For others, it means "nice and new."

Old 05-05-2012, 09:44 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,274 times
Quote:
Underrated is a compliment, btw, so I'll take that over "unlimited water in the middle of the prairie", for one. Orlando, Nashville and Austin have NOT contributed more to the world than Kansas City, St. Louis, or Cleveland, and if you believe that you probably aren't very well educated.

We lost the game? The South utterly blows and yet you STILL brag about its greatness. There isn't ONE great city in the South (unless you include DC in the South, and I don't). Atlanta is not great, Houston is not great, Dallas is not great, and Miami is far from great. The cities are brand new and built cheaply, not to mention God-awfully ugly! It's cheap as hell to live there for a reason. It's the WORST in education and crime, two aspects I personally take with high regard (I know I know....you don't). You're making fun of the Midwest for having a family-oriented culture? What an odd remark -- since when is that a bad thing?! You make fun of our cities for losing population, even though the ONLY cities that grew were those which annexed land (C-bus and Indy) and every other city has hard and defined boundaries that will probably NEVER change.

Don't get confused: just because the South is growing does NOT make it great! If you want to be great you'll have to do MORE than steal Africans and force them to live in and love your cities, and steal industry from the North because your bumfuk cousins only ask for minimum wage with no job security because that's by FAR the best option most of you have. At least Northern cities PAID their industrial employees to be middle class citizens!

Boy the South sounds sweet!
I do agree with some Southern cities being too new but their are still a good amount of historic cities with great architecture.
Then can you really bring crime and bad education into the equation when the Midwestern cities such as St. Louis, Detroit, and Chicago are just as worse if not more worse.
Plus all that industry you are all mad and making ridiculous statements about about is not in the cities or really related to the cities but are more in rural areas.
"Stealing Africans", what is that. Is that some 1800 reference.
I personally like Midwestern cities but the hating some of you people (not just you) is unnecessary.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:45 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,566 times
Ok ok slyman11. You win northern man don't won't you around anyhow. Gheezh such venom. Did you get treated poorly when up here or what. ????

Old 05-05-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
The South's big cities, for the most part, are better than the Midwest's big cities.

Using the main cities in each region, Atlanta and Chicago, more professional people would choose to live in Atlanta over Chicago. Once you clear metro Chicago, the area is hit with an ugly stick. In winter, it looks like driving through the tundra. North of Atlanta, the North Georgia mountains are fairly scenic.

Other cities such as Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill are very nice metro areas. The first is a financial center and the second is more diversified. Ohioans move to NC in droves, and don't move back.

Houston is America's 4th largest city. They have everything. Even a beach 47 miles away. Pick your passion: a big A/C bill or a big heating bill. As for other Texas cities, Austin seems to have its share of fans. I am definitely not a fan of Dallas, because I don't like the landscape at all.

They say Birmingham is fairly nice, but I've only passed through. I will admit like I don't like any of Tennessee's big cities, but that's because I don't like the location. That said, I wouldn't like analogous Louisville KY or Cincinnati OH either.

Florida. Not a big fan of Orlando, but living in Miami, Tampa or Jacksonville means living by the beach. Can't beat Florida's ocean. Their skylines are modern. For some, that means nondescript. For others, it means "nice and new."
You just don't like cities with culture and personality....so the South is probably PERFECT for you!

You have an obvious bias AGAINST the Midwest so your opinion doesn't help much here (but then, neither does mine, but at least I live in ONE of the two regions now don't I?)

Old 05-05-2012, 09:51 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
You just don't like cities with culture and personality....so the South is probably PERFECT for you!
The number of native languages that metro ATL school districts have to cater to is staggering. I forgot the exact number. Except for Chicago, which other Midwest cities have dedicated heavy-rail transit? None of them. Atlanta has a world class heavy rail transit system (Miami also went heavy rail with their transit decision). If you like architecture, there is no shortage of historical homes in metro Atlanta. If you are willing to drive a few hours, you can see the Vanderbilt Mansion in Asheville NC.

Saying there is no culture in Florida is mindless. I doubt America's portal to Latin America is lacking in culture. Then, throw in the multitudes of people from all over the world that visit Miami. The different cuisines and ethnicities make for an interesting stew. Also, St Augustine FL was discovered before New York's harbor was discovered. On the other side of Florida, beautiful Pensacola is known as the City of Five Flags, because that's how many nations claimed ownership of it. Since I'm at Pensacola, move a little west to New Orleans. Not for me, but its cultural milieu is unlike anything else in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City