Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 03:04 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,249,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
Can you explain your defintion of what the American South is. If you dont want to include Texas of South Florida, how can you include a state like Louisiana for example becuase it has just as diverse a mix like Texas and has a distinctly different culture from other states . You cant just delete some states from the South based on your opinion. Many people in these states believe they are Southern. The South is a diverse, varying, large region that has different histories and cultures but all come together to form the South.
Perfect post. +1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 03:17 PM

16,627 posts, read 29,293,919 times
Quote:
Can you explain your defin[i]tion of what the American South is [?]

Gladly--

The American South
Georgia

Alabama
Mississippi
South Carolina
Louisiana
North Carolina
Tennessee
Arkansas (takes in parts of extreme southern Missouri as well)
North Florida (everything north of Orlando)
Kentucky (minus the Cincinnatti suburbs; includes Missouri bootheel)
South Virginia (south of line stretching from just north of Richmond towards the northwest; takes in parts of eastern/southeastern West Virginia as well)

Old 05-06-2012, 03:22 PM

814 posts, read 1,465,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Gladly--

The American South
Georgia
Alabama
Mississippi
South Carolina
Louisiana
North Carolina
Tennessee
Arkansas (takes in parts of extreme southern Missouri as well)
North Florida (everything north of Orlando)
Kentucky (minus the Cincinnatti suburbs; includes Missouri bootheel)
South Virginia (south of line stretching from just north of Richmond towards the northwest; takes in parts of eastern/southeastern West Virginia as well)
That is not what I meant. I meant what makes these states so different from the other states such as Texas(or East Texas at least) and South Florida. What in your mind makes the states in your list distinctly the American South.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:24 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,247,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Why do you hate anything associated with the north this much?
I don't dislike the North at all. It's a selective thing.

I like NY, Philadelphia and Baltimore and could live there. I have lived in metro NY and liked it. I like Boston but wonder if it would be a good fit. I am enthused by Pittsburgh's natural beauty and its price/QOL ratio.

Of the Midwestern cities, I liked what I saw of Kansas City and like Cleveland because it's not as hyped, affordable, ethnic, and on one of the Great Lakes. I do NOT like most other Midwestern cities as a place to live.

And, if we can stretch this a little further, I would live in Montreal in a heartbeat. Probably an icebox like Minneapolis in the winter but, it takes 30 minutes to know you're in a world-class, cosmopolitan city with an upbeat vibe and (mostly) friendly people with an irreverent WTF attitude.

I vote South because so many Northerners live there now, there is work for qualified people, the weather is better, and it's closer to Florida beaches.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:30 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Southern florida feels more south than all of kentucky once you leave the miami area. All those little towns in the everglades and west are VERY southern. I have a feeling that people who think the south stops at orlando have only flown into orlando and miami and think that's all to florida
Exactly. Nobody in their right mind can tell me Clewiston isn't Southern. Not one.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
That is not what I meant. I meant what makes these states so different from the other states such as Texas(or East Texas at least) and South Florida. What in your mind makes the states in your list distinctly the American South.
Go back and read posts 143, 145, 148, and 158.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
... But I know you're one of our more "eccentric" posters, so I'll go easy on you.
You seem down-right pissed. What gives?

Old 05-06-2012, 03:55 PM

814 posts, read 1,465,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Go back and read posts 143, 145, 148, and 158.
You dont seem to understand that the South is a large, varying region which is a combonation of different histories and cultures. All you said in those previous post is that Texas is a amalgation with blended cultures. But that is just it, the South is a varying region. For example if you dont want to Include Texas(or East Texas at least) or South Florida in the American South, then how can you include a state like Louisiana which has a mix of French, Italian, Irish, Southern, Cajun, Creole, different accents and languages, different food, Catholicism, Protestant, and such. There are many places in the South that stand out from their nieghbors, but they are still distictly Southern, just with different twist and vibes.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
You dont seem to understand that the South is a large, varying region which is a combonation of different histories and cultures. All you said in those previous post is that Texas is a amalgation with blended cultures. But that is just it, the South is a varying region. For example if you dont want to Include Texas(or East Texas at least) or South Florida in the American South, then how can you include a state like Louisiana which has a mix of French, Italian, Irish, Southern, Cajun, Creole, different accents and languages, different food, Catholicism, Protestant, and such. There are many places in the South that stand out from their nieghbors, but they are still distictly Southern, just with different twist and vibes.
I do understand that about the South (see bolded above).

This is "both-and" not "either-or."

Texas and South/New Florida have lots and lots of Southern elements and culture--but, they are not a part of The American South.

Correct thinking on this

*Texas and South/New Florida have many southern elements and institutions--however, they are their own distinct, unique, and amalgamated regions.

Incorrect thinking on this

*Texas and South/New Florida have many southern elements and institutions--so they must be a part of The American South.

*If one says Texas and South/New Florida are not a part of The American South, then one is saying they must have no significant southern elements and institutions.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:13 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,968,898 times
If we are defining the South by regions, then yes South Florida and the majority of Texas must be included. However, as for the cultural aspect, South Florida is much different than the rest of the South. Extreme west Texas is also not part of the cultural South and many would argue El Paso isn't considered South regionally. Many Texans always look at El Paso as not being part of Texas since it is so different from the other cities on the I-35 corridor. El Paso is the Southwestern region that differs from the "South".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City