Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 12:58 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
LOL!!

DC - decent, but wouldn't live there
Chicago - best city on the list
Houston - dump
Minneapolis - not too bad
Detroit - dump
DFW - joke
New Orleans - cool to visit
St Louis - has been
Atlanta - overrated
Cleveland - dump
San Antonio - joke
Kansas City - boring
Austin - yet another overrated city
Indianapolis - Great City! Just to lazy to get out and do something.
Miami - cool town, wouldn't live there
Milwaukee - dump
Tampa - joke
Omaha - seriously?
Orlando - haha
Columbus - Columbus???
Baltimore - dump
Cincinnati - dump
Nashville - nice city
Richmond - c'mon
Savannah - nice town
Charleston - serious??
OKC - dump
Jacksonville - DUMP
Asheville - whatever
Louisville - boring

No clear winner here.
Basically thats all a bunch of sterotypical BS lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 01:02 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Someone hit a nerve of yours?

Old 05-02-2012, 02:21 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Souther cities are so much better, with the exception of Chicago and Minneapolis.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:25 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Souther cities are so much better, with the exception of Chicago and Minneapolis.
Agreed. Chicago is one of the best cities in the world the south has nothing on its level not even D.C. but outside of that the entire region is a declining unattractive land of family values. Not a fan of the south but it wins here against this region. The west and south are more interesting comparisons

Old 05-02-2012, 02:29 PM

857 posts, read 1,365,795 times
Chicago carries the midwest, although there are some other decent cities in the midwest. The south has more stand out/top cities.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:29 PM

170 posts, read 325,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
DC will always be debated between north and south and I say south for the DC area on this one if going by census bureau. I pick the south with Atlanta, Dallas, DC, Houston, and Miami they outmatch Chicago, Detroit, and Minneapolis. Nashville, Austin, and New Orleans for smaller metros are more hip, fashionable, prettier than any of their midwestern peers IMO.

Well first things first you can find coastal living in the south with Miami, Houston, and DC isnt far from the coast either. Dallas, Miami, and Atlanta are more hip and fashionable places than any place in the midwest. The economies of Dallas, Houston, and DC are better than any big city in the midwest. The weather of Miami and Atlanta are much superior to Chicago or anything else in the midwest. Nightlife in Miami and Atlanta outdo anything the midwest has to offer. Suburbs of Dallas, Houston, DC, and Miami have no competition from the midwest outside Chicago. All 5 outmatch every midwestern city on the international feel, the midwest outside of Minneapolis is a very awful place for diversity. So much segregation and the all American mentality where people act ignorant of other nationalities is disturbing.

The midwest is a boring, one diminesional, all American region IMO. It places last of the 4 regions in the U.S. IMO. I have a great deal of respect and love for Minneapolis and its my first choice in the midwest. Chicago is also nice in the greater parts but overall its no where close to a competition. The south is a much superior region offering everything superior to the midwest.
Have you ever been to the Midwest? If you visit the Midwest, you will find it much better than the Flyover Territory stereotype. I dont know why people have such a negative view of the Midwest. I would rathe rlive there than the Northeast or desert southwest.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:11 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
Have you ever been to the Midwest? If you visit the Midwest, you will find it much better than the Flyover Territory stereotype. I dont know why people have such a negative view of the Midwest. I would rathe rlive there than the Northeast or desert southwest.
I have driven through the midwest, all over it to be sure. My favorite place there is Minnesota which is a great place IMO. However outside of the greater parts of Chicago and the scenic areas around the lakes it offers nothing the south cant beat. Indiana and Illinois are flat as a pancake and they're ugly states, corn fields and all with patchy development. Michigan roads are ugly looking but the trees keep the state in a natural state and the western shores are nice. Kansas, South Dakota, and Missouri are all ugly states flat prairies and even when theres elevation its rolling hills. I would take New Orleans over St. Louis for a more historic and unique place. Austin over Columbus for a better scenic, more thriving, more hip, fashionable, better weathered, more diverse, energetic place. DC over Chicago which is just my personal taste but can see the side for both. Atlanta, Houston, or Dallas over Detroit for obvious reasons and the former 3 are some of my favorite cities. Charlotte over Cleveland for climate, more energetic, better location, better state IMO. Nashville over Kansas City because of the music, location, weather, and closeby scenery.

Midwest is a nice enough place to raise a family and I can see myself live comfortably in Minneapolis but the rest of the region offers me nothing exceptional that I cant already get in the south. Tell me where are the beaches that compare to the emerald coast in Florida, the theme parks that compete with Orlando, the climate variety from El Paso to Jacksonville/DC to Miami, nightlife to compete with south beach/Atlanta, fashion scene to compete with Miami and Dallas let alone Atlanta, DC, Houston? Where is the diversity like DC, Houston, Dallas, Miami, or Atlanta? I pass outside of Chicago or Minneapolis both are the only high quality cities of your region IMO

One more thing your sports teams are pathetic. Cubs, Browns, Lions? PASS

BTW I dont think to highly of this 'flyover' context the people using the word arent well traveled and thats all it means to me.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:50 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,047,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Which region's top cities do you prefer (all aspects)? Attractiveness, livability, culture, setting.etc.

The Midwest Top 10:

Chicago
Detroit
Minneapolis
St. Louis
Cleveland
Kansas City
Columbus/Cincinnati
Indianapolis
Milwaukee
Omaha

The South Top 10:

Houston
Dallas
Washington DC
Miami
Atlanta
Baltimore
San Antonio
Austin
Nashville
Richmond/Orlando/Jacksonville/New Orleans

I would pick the South. More history, more culture, especially music, and closer to nicer scenery. Also better weather imo.

Darn...I forgot to add a poll. Can the mod add a poll please? Thnx
WTF!! Charlotte gets no respect on citydata!!

Old 05-02-2012, 05:10 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
I know his entire list is just stereotypical nonsense

Old 05-02-2012, 05:18 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Savannah - nice town
Charleston - serious??
Savannah gets "nice town" but Charleston gets "serious??" as if it's Youngstown?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City