U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Los Angeles vs. San Francisco
Los Angeles 132 38.26%
San Francisco 213 61.74%
Voters: 345. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2007, 04:08 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,573,628 times

Advertisements

Let me put this into words you will understand, Milky...
Adiós, Milkytoast. Ahora estoy dejando este hilo de rosca.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:37 PM

374 posts, read 1,720,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Beonerman, Everything I stated was true. The names were changed to protect the innocent! Innocent is another way of saying, 'ignorant'. At least where you are concerned, and you're fun! Maybe, because there are only 2 n's in 'ignoring', I'm going to have to assume you don't check your facts or even know what the hell you're talking about!
It's called a typo!!! I'm done ignnorining you now, because it's fun to read your posts.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:12 PM

705 posts, read 2,997,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Milky, you're so fricking...Nevermind, I won't even bother. NYC is MUCH, MUCH, MUCHHHHHHHH more diverse than LA. Almost 50% of Los Angeles is HISPANIC! And NYC has every culture and ethnicity you can think of. I wouldn't doubt if NYC had some extraterrestrials sprinkled in the population.
Since when is there a country named hispania???
Hispanic is an umbrella term to describe people from Latin America.
Hispanics come from Mexico to Argentina! Thats about 18 different countries where people come from! Talk about diversity.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:40 PM

374 posts, read 1,720,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
Since when is there a country named hispania???
Hispanic is an umbrella term to describe people from Latin America.
Hispanics come from Mexico to Argentina! Thats about 18 different countries where people come from! Talk about diversity.
Agreed. And, I think LA has a lot more ethnic diversity than hispanics. Nearly every large city in the U.S. has a good amount of ethnic diversity - some more than others.

One thing that shocked me was the huge Somolian population in Minneapolis. I have never figured that one out - you go from a hot desertlike climate to those frigid winters? Kind of strange that one.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:01 PM

5,503 posts, read 17,215,747 times
Futurecop is right. NYC is the most diverse.

From Wikipedia

African Americans and foreign born blacks

According to the 2000 Census, New York City has the largest population of self-defined African-American residents of any US city, at over 2 million within the city's boundaries. Due to the city's large black population, several of the city's neighborhoods are historical birthplaces of urban black culture in America namely places such as Bedford Stuyvesant, Harlem, and the South Bronx. It has the largest population of black immigrants (at 568,814) and descendants of immigrants from the Caribbean (especially from Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, Barbados, Guyana, Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican republic, and Haiti), and of sub-Saharan Africans

Chinese

Like other Chinatown districts in American cities, the Chinatown neighborhood of Manhattan is an ethnic enclave with a large population of Chinese immigrants. By the 1980s, it had surpassed San Francisco's Chinatown to become the largest enclave of Chinese immigrants in the Western hemisphere, but in the last few years it too has been outgrown by the lesser-known but larger New York City Chinatown community in nearby Flushing, Queens.

South Asian

According to 2005 American Community Survey Estimates, New York City is home to approximately 275,000 persons from the countries of India (226,587), Pakistan (34,310), Bangladesh (18,825), and Sri Lanka (1,094), and comprise a combined 3.5% of New York City's population.[29] A majority of them are concentrated in Queens neighborhoods such as Richmond Hills, Kew Gardens, Jackson Heights, and Ozone Park. In the borough of Queens, the South Asian population is approximately 170,000, where they comprise 8% of the population

German

The influence of German immigration can still be felt in areas of New York City. The Yorkville neighborhood on the Upper East Side of Manhattan was a center of German-American culture. As of the 2000 census 255,536 New Yorkers reported German ancestry.[30]

Irish

The Irish community is one of New York's major ethnic groups, and has been a significant proportion of the City's population since the waves of immigration in the late 1800s. New York City's St. Patrick's Day Parade dates to 1762. As of the 2000 census 420,810 New Yorkers reported Irish ancestry.[31]

Italian

The largest wave of Italian immigration to the United States took place in the late nineteenth century and early twentieth century. Between 1820 and 1978, 5.3 million Italians immigrated to the United States, including over two million in the years 1900-1910 alone. Only the Irish and Germans immigrated in larger numbers. Italian families first settled in Little Italy's neighborhoods, the first and most famous one being the one around Mulberry Street, in Manhattan. As of the 2000 census 692,739 New Yorkers reported Italian ancestry, making them the largest European ethnic group in the city.[33] New York metropolitan area is home to 3,372,512 Italians, which is the third largest concentration in the world after Milan and Rome metropolitan areas.

Polish

Polish-Americans live in the city generally in Brooklyn (Greenpoint and Williamsburg). The neighborhood is sometimes referred to as "Little Poland" due to its large population of working-class Polish immigrants, reportedly the second largest concentration in the United States after Chicago. As of the 2000 census 213,447 New Yorkers reported Polish ancestry.[34]

Jewish

The New York metropolitan area is home to the largest Jewish population in the world outside Israel. New York's Jewish population in 2001 was approximately 1.97 million, 1.4 million more than in Jerusalem but 600,000 less than in Gush Dan, Israel's largest metropolitan area; however, Tel Aviv proper (non-metro/within municipal limits) has smaller population than the Jewish population of New York City proper, making New York the largest Jewish community in the world.[[35] In 2002, an estimated 972,000 Ashkenazic Jews lived in New York City and constituted about 12% of the city's population. New York City is also home to the worldwide headquarters of the Hasidic Chabad-Lubavitch group and the Bobover and Satmar branches of Hasidism

Romanian

The Romanian community of New York is the largest in United States and North America, with unofficial figures showing 200,000 Romanians in New York.

Puerto Rican

As a result of the great migration more than a million Puerto Ricans once called New York City home. Now the Puerto Rican population is around 800,000 and New York City still has the largest Puerto Rican population outside of Puerto Rico.

And from Population Soars, Income Drops for City Dominicans. Columbia University Record, November 14, 1997

Dominican

Sixty percent of all Dominicans in the United States (495,000 out of 832,000) live in New York City.

According to this Census 2000 Paints Statistical Portrait of U.S. Hispanics - HispanicBusiness.com

Cubans

The largest Cuban populations lived in Hialeah, Florida; Miami; New York; Tampa, Florida; and Los Angeles.

So to summarize

New York City has

The largest concentration of African Americans of any US city.
The largest enclave of Chinese immigrants in the Western Hemisphere.
The largest concentration of Italians in the US, and 3rd in the world.
The second largest concentration of Polish in the US, behind Chicago.
The largest Jewish community in the world.
The largest Puerto Rican population in the US, outside of Puerto Rico.
The largest concentration of Dominicans in the US.
The third largest Cuban populated city in the US.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:11 PM

5,503 posts, read 17,215,747 times
Again when I hear all this talk about the "hispanic population" in LA, I wanna hurl. Break down their hispanic population. It's probably like 97% Mexican. That is not diversity. If you break down the hispanic population in NYC, it probably goes 50% Puerto Rican, 35% Dominican, 7% Mexican, 3% Cuban, 3% Columbian and 2% Ecuadorian. Give or take the PR and DR percentage but that's how it basically is.

LA is not Hispanic.....it's Mexican!

Old 09-25-2007, 11:52 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,412,836 times
For sure that will change LA's political landscape as Whites are now a minority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Again when I hear all this talk about the "hispanic population" in LA, I wanna hurl. Break down their hispanic population. It's probably like 97% Mexican. That is not diversity. If you break down the hispanic population in NYC, it probably goes 50% Puerto Rican, 35% Dominican, 7% Mexican, 3% Cuban, 3% Columbian and 2% Ecuadorian. Give or take the PR and DR percentage but that's how it basically is.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:17 AM

1,134 posts, read 857,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Milky, you're so fricking...Nevermind, I won't even bother. NYC is MUCH, MUCH, MUCHHHHHHHH more diverse than LA. Almost 50% of Los Angeles is HISPANIC! And NYC has every culture and ethnicity you can think of. I wouldn't doubt if NYC had some extraterrestrials sprinkled in the population.
Oh my goodness, Future-kins, I've got to chase you like a little kid, you and your brand new dead end friend Supermario! Between San Francisco and Chicago, I'm rackin' up the frequent babysitter miles! Don't know how many times I have to tell least coast troglodytes that L. A. is more ethnically, religiously and culturally more diversified than, not only little NY, as I shall referr to them now, but any city in the world! It was this way before L. A. accumulated hundreds of thousands of expatriate NY'rs, thus sealing the deal. Every country and culture is represented. More languages are used in the school district. More types of faith are developed and practiced. L. A.'s been made light of that fact in the past (..when you tip the country, all the fruits and nuts tumble into Los Angeles. ) Use your brains, if you got them. Future, quit snapping your gum and pay attention! Think about the kinds of things cities have that attract the attention of people from around the world. Now, ya got that? O.K. New York. 51 percent of its economy is based on Wall St. Hardly diverse, but who around the world wants to be a stockbroker? A broadway stahhh? Your best bet is cabdriver! San Francisco? Fisherman? San Francisco's too small physically and otherwise but I will say it has the most character per capita. Chicago? Banking? Financing? Pork futures? Butcher? My point made! And I don't have to even MENTION the prime attractant of Los Angeles' most influential district, the world's most famous single locale. Yes, we all know how Hollywood entertainment is so much nothingness and doesn't represent true urban being, but it's the most diverse art form by far in history! If you don't think so, Steve-o, before you run off to relieve yourself, read all the names at the end of a crummy movie. Then read all the names at the end of a real good one! Lotsa names in both, my friend. Oh, you say it's the most dominant world export? That kinda sounds like influence to me. Who doesn't want to be a recording artist or in the movies. Who was digging up their VCR's out of the sand and getting their hair cut to look like Leo in that Titanic movie? Afghanis, after the Taliban was ousted. I didn't see anyone digging up any playbills. Ask our young friend, FutureCop! He probably wants to play a cop on TV! Why else would he want to take on the L. A. County Sheriff's Department. Put your head in the sink and cool off.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:00 AM

718 posts, read 2,442,263 times
LAX= number 1 airport of recent US immigrants

Old 09-26-2007, 04:17 AM

705 posts, read 2,997,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

Wow, this has to be one one of the most ingnorant posts Ive seen on this forum. Look at your post. Just a bunch of made up numbers. Even you state "It probably goes", which tells the reader you're not even sure if you're right or not. Los Angeles isn't Mexican! and if Puerto Rico, The Dominican Republic, Mexico, Cuba, Columbia, and Ecuador are the only Latin American countries represented in New York, that is trully pathetic compared to Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or