U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Los Angeles vs. San Francisco
Los Angeles 132 38.26%
San Francisco 213 61.74%
Voters: 345. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2008, 05:34 PM

2,318 posts, read 6,845,601 times

Advertisements

This thread seems to have run its course... SF is better than LA... everyone should move there instead of here. Sounds good to me!

Old 06-24-2008, 09:15 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,235,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It just amazes me some people in the Bay Area think it's the center of the universe and that anyplace not like it or just anywhere else for that matter is inferior or something.
Don't group the whole Bay Area together. Some of us don't live up our own asses.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:46 PM

2,162 posts, read 7,491,451 times
I am a native of San Francisco, and lived in SF Bay area most of my life prior to 2000. A few years living on the east coast and southeast, and a few years in Europe + S. America, but most of the time in or near SF. I've lived in "the OC" for the last eight years, a good place to live and work with the best weather imaginable, but not the variety and stunning urban and natural beauty that can be found around SF. I can't help but be partial to my home city, a place where I explored every neighborhood as a young teenager during summer vacations using my "muni fast pass". I rode every muni bus, trolley bus and streetcar route end to end and have probably walked to within a few blocks of everyplace in the city. What a place, when the mayor was Joe Alioto and life was a lot simpler than today, and the city was largely populated by working class and middle class families who enjoyed a nice life in affordable neighborhoods.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:51 PM

3,567 posts, read 7,519,872 times
San Francisco is a better city than Los Angeles, I'm not going to argue that.

But Los Angeles would kick its yuppie ass any day the week. Give me my deserts and my mountains

Old 06-24-2008, 10:47 PM

31,598 posts, read 53,157,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
But Los Angeles would kick its yuppie ass any day the week. Give me my deserts and my mountains
LA is hardly a desert and its yuppies are the worst kind.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:56 PM

149 posts, read 145,842 times
San Fransisco is nicer.

I don't mind SF's weather either.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:05 AM

5,031 posts, read 11,061,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soho111 View Post
San Fransisco is nicer.

I don't mind SF's weather either.
Please learn to spell San Francisco since you claim to have lived there [really?

Old 06-25-2008, 12:16 AM

1,734 posts, read 4,944,028 times
ha, you forgot to put "neither" as an option.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:46 PM

302 posts, read 853,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yes LA is different and so is Southern CA in general but it's suppose to be different b/c it IS Southern CA and that is one thing some people in the Bay Area can't seem to get through their narrow minds. Amazing how people there claim to be so open minded, love diversity and differences except when it comes to anything in the state not like the Bay Area. And much of their hate is just based off stereotypes and their perceived image of LA. It's so stupid, I see my friends hate on LA then when they come visit and I show them a great time and they like the city but when they go back to the Bay it's just the same trash talking over and over again. I was just in the Bay Area this past weekend and saw people rip on LA for NO GOOD reason as they usually do. I can't believe someone actually said the city has "nothing to offer".

A car is a necessity in a city that big but there are plenty of denser walkable neighborhoods spread throughout LA. Nothing like SF but they do exist and are there. Whenever I go to LA I doubt have that much trouble getting from place to place, I think people exaggerate about that aspect.

It's NOT warm all the time, winter is pretty mild and the hills above Malibu actually got snow either this past winter or last one. It's in the 60's along the coast during much of winter and nights are cold. But I guess 60's in SF is considered "warm". It's also funny how people in the Bay rip on SoCal's climate then b*tch and complain about how wet and cold it is during winter.

The setting may not be as beautiful as SF's but what city's is? The ocean, beaches, and mountain backdrop I think put it ahead of many US cities.

It just amazes me some people in the Bay Area think it's the center of the universe and that anyplace not like it or just anywhere else for that matter is inferior or something.
I never said it was the center of the universe. What I said is I don't care for LA and compared the things I love about SF with the absense of them in LA.

I am a well-travelled person, and I prefer most European cities to any U.S. city (including San Francisco). I also like a handful of other U.S. cities (NYC, Chicago, Boston, Seattle, DC and New Orleans) more than LA - but this isn't about them.

I don't think you can generalize that San Franciscans are narrow-minded because they don't like LA. Frankly, I can understand why most people strongly dislike LA. Again, there are things I like about LA, but they aren't things (weather and ocean) that you can't get in many places in the U.S.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:18 PM

2,498 posts, read 10,082,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Please learn to spell San Francisco since you claim to have lived there [really?
I've noticed he can't spell it either in a few threads now. I think he made up the part about living in San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or