Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city ranks 2nd in the U.S. for cultural amenities behind NYC?
DC 22 9.05%
Chicago 77 31.69%
San Francisco 22 9.05%
Boston 14 5.76%
Philadelphia 15 6.17%
Los Angeles 81 33.33%
other 12 4.94%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 02:37 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I'm sure some of it is "off", i'm not a cultural historian, just questioning why the poster thinks chicago isn't in the picture as number 2. FWIW, elaboration below...
  • Museums: Chicago's museums are pretty well-known and -regarded and it's considered to be a top museum city in the world, to wit (and just the top shelf stuff)...
Chicago
    • Adler Planetarium: First planetarium in western hemisphere and still one of the most respected.
    • Field Museum-- One of the world's Big Four natural history museums
    • Shedd-- Until recently, the largest aquarium in the world (now Atlanta)
    • Museum of Science and Industry -- grandfather of hands-on science museums.
LA
    • Frankly, I'm not aware of LA's natural history museum. Griffiths is an observatory and top-notch. La Brea Tar Pit museum. Please let me know what I've missed, and they should be big, well-regarded museum.
  • Art, I said no, but frankly art is pretty close between Getty and the LA County Museum. Chicago has world-renowned AIC and Museum of Contemporary Art. Edge to Chicago for world-class AIC.
  • Music and production: LA
  • Live music and local music culture: LA is certainly up there but others are as well, Austin, Chicago, San Francisco, Nashville, etc.
  • Live theater - Chicago is just behind NYC (and ~ equal to Toronto) for Broadway shows, and its equivalent for off-Broadway. In fact, Chicago is often cited as a leader for edgy, off-broadway productions... Steppenwolf, Goodman, Court, Shakespeare, Lookinglass, Victory Gardens, etc. I don't think LA is as well-respected.
  • Fine arts, i.e., symphony/ballet/opera? Don't know about LA, but the CSO is considered-- globally as a top 5 orchestra (I know LA's is respected as well, but not like CSO). Lyric Opera in Chicago-- again typically a top 5-10 global institution. I don't know as much (anything) about dance but Joffrey and Hubbard St. Dance are pretty big companies. I would assume LA does well in both areas.
  • Restaurants? LA is up there, but behind Chicago and SF.
  • Films and production: Yes (LA)
  • Architecture: You're really asking me about Chicago architecture? Really? If you don't know this, then please try google.
I don't doubt Chicago has a decent argument as being number 2, I just didn't understand some of your reasoning for favoring Chicago - seems like you are very familiar with it and not so familiar with LA, so that probably explains part of it.

I know Chicago is renowned for architecture but so is Los Angeles, so I would think they are actually fairly neck and neck in this regard.

BTW The Natural History Museum in LA is in Exposition Park by USC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 02:39 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
No actually it doesn't prove anything since what I was talking about everyone clearly stated DC excels in. The difference is all of you which represent .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of the people in the world. The overwhelming majority of the people in the world would classify a "CULTURAL ATTRACTION" as museums, monuments, dining, and parks and gardens. It's hard to argue about food because food is subjective and most places have good food. You can't say french food is better than indian food for instance.

Notice the USA Today lists "CULTURAL ATTRACTION" in Paris as museums, monuments, dining, and parks and gardens.Paris Attractions:
Cultural Attractions in Paris | Travel Tips - USAToday.com

So in the U.S. case:

Museums: DC undisputed #1 in United States
Monuments: DC undisputed #1 in United States
Dining: DC #8 in United States Best Restaurant Cities - The Best Restaurant Cities in America 2010 - Esquire
Parks and Gardens: Debatable D.C. #2 or #3 in United States

Either you all didn't pay attention in school to learn what constitutes a cultural attraction or you didn't go to school in the first place!

Are you seriously suggesting that the USA Today article offers an exhaustive list for what should be considered "cultural amenities"? So what about performing arts and theater? That's not culture? But "parks and gardens" are??

Come on MD, you are smarter than that. And frankly I wouldn't take anything that USA Today writes very seriously. It's the McDonalds of newspapers.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:51 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Are you seriously suggesting that the USA Today article offers an exhaustive list for what should be considered "cultural amenities"? So what about performing arts and theater? That's not culture? But "parks and gardens" are??

Come on MD, you are smarter than that. And frankly I wouldn't take anything that USA Today writes very seriously. It's the McDonalds of newspapers.

But is HQ'd in the DC MSA; believe Tysons Corner

They do have petty colored maps though

Old 05-14-2012, 02:57 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Let me put in a plug for the Hometown.

Philadelphia's finest musicians gettin' it in with some of the best composers in the world at the Kimmel Center.

Philly Paris Lockdown - YouTube

You thought horseback riding was just for suburban rich kids?

This American Life: Horses in North Philly - YouTube

Old 05-14-2012, 03:00 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
*grabbing popcorn*

Continue. It's fun to see these contortions of yours. It's like watching the City Data version of The Devil Inside and The Exorcist combined.

I know it's hard for you to admit, but you're just plain wrong on this one. Now go ahead and start vomiting copious amounts of pea soup. That's the good part.
What do you do for a living? Long pause........

Grabs popcorn.....

Which is why your opinion doesn't matter! This however is from a source that does matter! Are you famous for anything? Didn't think so........

Old 05-14-2012, 03:03 PM

The funniest thing about this whole thread is all the people on city-data who's opinion's mean absolutely nothing to the world and how they try to actually challenge things that do mean something like the source I just posted. I mean, how many people even know what your names are.....................?

This is pure comedy!

Old 05-14-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
But is HQ'd in the DC MSA; believe Tysons Corner

They do have petty colored maps though
Just wondering, how important are you to all the people in the world, I mean country, I mean, city of Philadelphia, I mean center city?

About a handful of people? And you should be able to challenge any source anywhere in the world because? And anybody should care what you think because? What is your importance in this world that what you say or think should matter?

Old 05-14-2012, 03:09 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
What do you do for a living? Long pause........

Grabs popcorn.....

Which is why your opinion doesn't matter! This however is from a source that does matter! Are you famous for anything? Didn't think so........
How is this even relevant?

It's a damn shame you're so butthurt over something so irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, but I guess that's what happens when you think your city is at the center of the universe. I love DC, but your homerism is beyond over-the-top.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post

Theater architecture should matter. Other than that, performances travel all over so they aren't relegated to one city. Architecture however is only seen at the original venue. Performances come and go, venues do not.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How is this even relevant?

It's a damn shame you're so butthurt over something so irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, but I guess that's what happens when you think your city is at the center of the universe. I love DC, but your homerism is beyond over-the-top.
Because I'm trying to figure out what importance you have in the world that you would be able to discredit something that frankly means more than you do. That's why I asked what or who exactly you are that your opinion means anything. Even crackheads have opinions. But they are worthless just like your opinion and my own. That's why I posted a real source that is going to be taken way more serious by the world than anything you say or think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City