Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city ranks 2nd in the U.S. for cultural amenities behind NYC?
DC 22 9.05%
Chicago 77 31.69%
San Francisco 22 9.05%
Boston 14 5.76%
Philadelphia 15 6.17%
Los Angeles 81 33.33%
other 12 4.94%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 01:51 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times

Advertisements

Let's be direct about this: Do you guys honestly believe that Washington, DC is more of a world-class city than Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 01:53 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Let's be direct about this: Do you guys honestly believe that Washington, DC is more of a world-class city than Chicago?
No but I have said this many times before but I think there are only 4 cities in the U.S. more world class than DC. For the 7th largest metropolis, I can live with 5th place behind NY, LA, Chicago, and SF IMO.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
No but I have said this many times before but I think there are only 4 cities in the U.S. more world class than DC.
Well, it's nice to see you're not completely delusional. That's one of three.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:54 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,156,819 times
Quote:
I'm going back for a wedding next month. It's a city that's really grown on me. Little by little, Chicago is winning my heart.

But back to the matter at hand, I can't say definitively which city would be No. 2 after NYC, but I know which cities would not be. And DC is definitely not one of those cities. To say that it's anything close to Paris where you keep running into world-class architecture, world-class museums, etc. at every turn is beyond ridiculous. The only city in the U.S. other than New York that really gives you that is Chicago (and that's not even close). In DC, nearly all of the "cultural amenities" are located on the Mall, and then it's off to 7th Street to eat at Chipotle or Fuddrucker's.

Your pictures of Chicago are nice. Culturally, it's not on DC's radar. DC has too much AA history. DC has way too much stuff to do and see even if you don't like it or agree with it. What's Chicago's answer to the Supreme Court? National Archives? Air & Space? The Bean? GTFOOHWTBS.

DC's culture may not be as simplistic as "Da Bears" but the city has too many amenities and offerings. Let's play a game. You put up Chicago's list of cultural offerings and I will double it with DC's.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:56 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,512 times
Quote:
Well, it's nice to see you're not completely delusional. That's one of three.
Completely?

Look I dont have an obsession with thinking DC is the greatest place, I actually like NY, Miami, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, maybe Boston more than it. I also think NY, LA, SF, and Chicago are better cities than DC and I think DC isnt as urban as NY, LA, SF, Chicago, Boston, AND Philly. I love DC but I can live with these things

Old 05-11-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
By leaps and bounds. Chicago is a destination for Midwesterners. DC is a destination for people across the world. DC has too many international organizations, bigger international media presence, World Bank, IMF,
etc....

Old 05-11-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Your pictures of Chicago are nice. Culturally, it's not on DC's radar. DC has too much AA history. DC has way too much stuff to do and see even if you don't like it or agree with it. What's Chicago's answer to the Supreme Court? National Archives? Air & Space? The Bean? GTFOOHWTBS.

DC's culture may not be as simplistic as "Da Bears" but the city has too many amenities and offerings. Let's play a game. You put up Chicago's list of cultural offerings and I will double it with DC's.
LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

This reminds me of the time I was in South Beach and pulled up next to this guy in a Lamborghini Gallardo and started revving my engine. He actually turned his car off at the light and just gave me this look like, "Man, I'm not even gonna waste my gas on this fool!" It's pretty much the same thing when comparing Chicago and DC.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:59 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Let's break this down point by point.

Yep. I like the architecture, I like its many walkable neighborhoods, I like the strong black middle class, I like the social life, and I like Metro. Next.

Half-true. I never said DC only had chain stores and restaurants. I said that nearly everything downtown is a chain and that Downtown DC is lame, sterile, generic and white-washed.

In PG County, yes. In DC, not as much. But I never said everybody. What I said is true and I stand by it.

Half-true. I never said it was boring. I did, however, say that it lacks identity. And that's a true statement.
I'm waiting for you to say something positive about DC.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!

This reminds me of the time I was in South Beach and pulled up next to this guy in a Lamborghini Gallardo and started revving my engine. He actually turned his car off at the light and just gave me this look like, "Man, I'm not even gonna waste my gas on this fool!" It's pretty much the same way when comparing Chicago and DC.
Where's your list!

Harold's Chicken shack? LOL I know Chicago much better than you homey!
Navy Pier?
John Hancock?
The El?

Old 05-11-2012, 02:01 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Jazz and Blues vs Gogo

Dunno I see DC as more of museum destination than overall cultural destination. Though DC is absolute among the better/best cities in this regard but to me personally no I would not put it at number two; maybe not even top 5

NYC, LA, and Chicago are all ahead IMHO. SF/Boston/Philly are all arguably ahead on this category as well

Miami from a latin american perspective brings something different as well

DC has some great assets though no doubt; some pretty unique but so do some other places and also to me offer on the whole more in the fine arts categories and most especially in the developing arts categories where to me DC is very deficient to its peers

By saying Chicago offers more is not a slight to DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City