Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: #2?
Boston 33 26.61%
DC 40 32.26%
Philadelphia 42 33.87%
Other 9 7.26%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 11:36 AM

27,557 posts, read 28,652,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 South View Post
Which would you want to live in single?
Which would you want to raise a family?
Which would you cringe if you were transferred to tomorrow?
Boston is a great city if you're single and young. It definitely has the best universities of the 3 cities.

For raising a family, I would choose D.C., mainly because of the job security aspect but also because there are a lot of attractions and things to keep a family busy in the D.C. area.

I wouldn't cringe at being transferred to any of the three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 11:44 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,252,781 times
Quote:
Which would you want to live in single?
Which would you want to raise a family?
Which would you cringe if you were transferred to tomorrow?
Between the 3 if I wasnt living in DC I would be living in Boston. I lived in Boston for 6 years and enjoyed it. I have been engaged for nearly 2 years now and the wedding is delayed because we cant seem to agree on our future. One thing is certain that we wont be living in DC and she wants Boston or Chicago while I want NY. We both like Miami so our property there is safe.

I really would like it to be NY but it overwhelms her. Its to big and crowded for her. Relocating is just one thing keeping us from getting married faster, career is another. Her career is focused around DC, Boston, and Chicago while mine is focused around DC, LA, Seattle, Minneapolis, Boston, Chicago, Houston, or Dallas. Places with large aerospace industries/defense contracting. Looks like I have to live in Chicago or Boston

Old 05-11-2012, 03:10 PM

422 posts, read 815,722 times
Your current story is perfect for this thread. Why not Philadelphia? Also, would you consider Boston a combination of NY and Chicago on a smaller scale. Or NY and another city on a smaller scale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyman11 View Post
Between the 3 if I wasnt living in DC I would be living in Boston. I lived in Boston for 6 years and enjoyed it. I have been engaged for nearly 2 years now and the wedding is delayed because we cant seem to agree on our future. One thing is certain that we wont be living in DC and she wants Boston or Chicago while I want NY. We both like Miami so our property there is safe.

I really would like it to be NY but it overwhelms her. Its to big and crowded for her. Relocating is just one thing keeping us from getting married faster, career is another. Her career is focused around DC, Boston, and Chicago while mine is focused around DC, LA, Seattle, Minneapolis, Boston, Chicago, Houston, or Dallas. Places with large aerospace industries/defense contracting. Looks like I have to live in Chicago or Boston

Old 05-12-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Your current story is perfect for this thread. Why not Philadelphia? Also, would you consider Boston a combination of NY and Chicago on a smaller scale. Or NY and another city on a smaller scale?
Boston and Chicago have very few things in common outside of being two very big urban cities. Boston is a big city with a small towns spirit, I like that about Boston it brings it more to an earthly level IMO. If you want an urban city that has everything to offer within its metropolis but a place that doesnt overwhelm you the way NY does, Boston is a great choice. What I like about Boston more than DC or Philly is the waterfront, its breathe taking although no where as much as Chicago but its got to be one of the best in the U.S. particularly the way the Charles river bisects the bayfront IMO. I was hoping I could convince her for NY but it doesnt seem to be going that way and my second plan was buying a house in Atlanta for us to live in but I havent brought up Atlanta yet, dont know what she has to say about that but it will be sort out soon. Looks like in the near future we will probably be in Chicago or Boston. I lived in Boston once already so maybe try Chicago this time?

I dont like Philly much and wouldnt ever live there to say it in the nicest way possible, however there are quite a few things about Philly that I would love borrowing for DC. Those things are particularly the music and culinary offerings, the success of the 76ers now and the notoriety of the other teams are also nice.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:11 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Boston and Chicago have very few things in common outside of being two very big urban cities. Boston is a big city with a small towns spirit, I like that about Boston it brings it more to an earthly level IMO. If you want an urban city that has everything to offer within its metropolis but a place that doesnt overwhelm you the way NY does, Boston is a great choice. What I like about Boston more than DC or Philly is the waterfront, its breathe taking although no where as much as Chicago but its got to be one of the best in the U.S. particularly the way the Charles river bisects the bayfront IMO. I was hoping I could convince her for NY but it doesnt seem to be going that way and my second plan was buying a house in Atlanta for us to live in but I havent brought up Atlanta yet, dont know what she has to say about that but it will be sort out soon. Looks like in the near future we will probably be in Chicago or Boston. I lived in Boston once already so maybe try Chicago this time?

I dont like Philly much and wouldnt ever live there to say it in the nicest way possible, however there are quite a few things about Philly that I would love borrowing for DC. Those things are particularly the music and culinary offerings, the success of the 76ers now and the notoriety of the other teams are also nice.
Haha I like how nicely you put this... see when can get along on this site haha Go Sixers!

I like all three cities... I don't really consider DC a NE city but I would rank it second to NYC if you were going to consider it a NE city simply because the government is based there... on all other aspects theses cities are all pretty much tied and all have their strong and weak points respectably... obviously Philly is my personal favorite because I live here but I like all Northeastern Cities just the same... we're all way better than the sun belt anyways...isn't that all that matters? haha jk.

Bos-Wash Corridor for life!

Old 05-12-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Haha I like how nicely you put this... see when can get along on this site haha Go Sixers!

I like all three cities... I don't really consider DC a NE city but I would rank it second to NYC if you were going to consider it a NE city simply because the government is based there... on all other aspects theses cities are all pretty much tied and all have their strong and weak points respectably... obviously Philly is my personal favorite because I live here but I like all Northeastern Cities just the same... we're all way better than the sun belt anyways...isn't that all that matters? haha jk.

Bos-Wash Corridor for life!
I would like to think that I have more class than ripping on a city all day long. Although I admit I used to do that but quickly corrected the errors of my ways. IMO a very unsophisticated/classless person would have the nerve to beat down on any city they never lived in. What type of person can do that? I am rooting for the 76ers myself for the finals. Lets hope they go all the way, such an underrated/under appreciated team IMO.

BTW I agree I dont view DC as a northeastern city, never have but I can see why some say that. As for Philly it has many things to be proud of but I would like to see it become more fashionable, modern [get rid of decaying infrastructure], get a better airport than PHL [IMO its a dumpy airport], reduce crime, and attract better marketers. Philly is musically one of my favorite cities in the U.S. and it should really try to attract talent there, think the way Atlanta has IMO.

Last edited by Slyman11; 05-12-2012 at 03:17 PM..

Old 05-12-2012, 10:31 PM

I'm in Denver now. I moved here last year from Atlanta. My next choice is Boston or San Francisco. I've already lived in NY and Chicago.

Quote:

Old 05-13-2012, 12:14 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
I would like to think that I have more class than ripping on a city all day long. Although I admit I used to do that but quickly corrected the errors of my ways. IMO a very unsophisticated/classless person would have the nerve to beat down on any city they never lived in. What type of person can do that? I am rooting for the 76ers myself for the finals. Lets hope they go all the way, such an underrated/under appreciated team IMO.

BTW I agree I dont view DC as a northeastern city, never have but I can see why some say that. As for Philly it has many things to be proud of but I would like to see it become more fashionable, modern [get rid of decaying infrastructure], get a better airport than PHL [IMO its a dumpy airport], reduce crime, and attract better marketers. Philly is musically one of my favorite cities in the U.S. and it should really try to attract talent there, think the way Atlanta has IMO.
GO SIXERS!! PLEASE GET RID OF THE CELTICS AKA THE GOLDEN GIRLS

Old 05-14-2012, 08:08 PM

The cool thing about the Philly/Boston series is that we get to see awesome skyline and streetscape shots of both cities for almost two weeks. Boston is a very picturesque city. Philly will be no slouch on Wed and Sat night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
GO SIXERS!! PLEASE GET RID OF THE CELTICS AKA THE GOLDEN GIRLS

Old 05-15-2012, 12:33 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
What's so hard about considering DC as a part of the Northeast again?..

Northeast Corridor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Northeast megalopolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City