U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 02:49 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,366,178 times

Advertisements

Lindrix: Did you mean Silver City, NM or Silver City, NC? I've never heard of the latter.

I completely share your assessment of Austin, TX. I loved it when it was one-third its present size (except for the humidity).

bezvodka: I hear people complaining about Ruidoso being "full of Texans", but it isn't at all averse to taking their money, especially Ruidoso Downs. :-) It does have a rapid turnover of businesses, but that just makes it interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 04:29 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 2,774,184 times
uh oh.... you are right finmqa1 -- the original post was asking about Silver City, North Carolina!

Old 09-23-2007, 10:42 AM

70 posts, read 156,905 times
Actually it's Siler City (not Silver). Close to Pittsboro, Franklinville, etc. in N.C. Rural spot, bunch of green-heads (like me).

It's difficult to come up with a place to live without visiting every potential spot in the U.S. I've ruled out MN, WY, ID, WI (too cold), and Mexico and the deep South like LA, MI (too hot).

I lived in Santa Fe about twenty years ago for a very short time. What I like (or think I like) about Taos over Santa Fe is a little less busyness during tourist season and more green building opportunities (earthships/strawbale).

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Old 09-23-2007, 03:39 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,366,178 times
lindrix: You are quite welcome. BTW, I think you meant to say "LA, MS" in the Deep South. MI is Michigan! Taos is pretty darn busy during tourist season. It's even busy in Setember, my favorite month for going there. But I love it anyway!

Old 09-26-2007, 07:05 AM

271 posts, read 1,043,374 times
What about Chapel Hill, NC? It's a pretty artsy place and fairly environmental.
I lived in NC near the coast and now that I've been back in New Mexico for
a few years I'm starting to miss it. I also lived and worked in Portland,Or
for one year (one year contract) and I really liked it. It was humid because
of all the rain but it didn't bother like the humid places that get hot. The mostly rainy days in the winter did bother me though but other than that
I found it to be a very interesting city. I also thought it was a lot more in
tune to environmental issues than New Mexico. It was one very hip place
to be and if it wasn't for the all the rain or all the rainy days I would take it
over Santa Fe. Santa Fe is more touristy and there is more to do in Portland
plus they have a fairly comprhensive light rail system to move people around
the city.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:00 AM

6 posts, read 32,468 times
Default Asheville, NC

Have you considered Asheville? Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindrix View Post
I'm a single, straight, older woman, looking for a liberal, artsy spot to relocate to. I would like to find a sustainable and green-friendly town where I can start a retail business of eclectic hand-made goods of high quality (home decor and/or clothing).

I've been looking at Taos and am impressed with the earthships and general green friendly building practices. Portland is a bigger town but is known for it's green consciousness. The semi-rural area between Raleigh and Greensboro has it's appeal too and there are several green communities although I'm unclear about the general political leanings.

Can someone help? Not having lived in these places it's difficult to make a choice. I'll want to buy a house (green or older to fix), and have opportunities to open a retail store. I'm fairly shy so I'll need a built-in social network in order to meet new people.

I'm currently in Austin, TX. The culture is nice but the age group is a little young for social opportunities, and the unrelenting heat and super high humidity (97%) are killers. Real estate prices are high and I have issues with the unplanned nature of the town (read killer traffic to rival Orange County, CA in a mid-sized city).

I'd love to hear any and all comments. Thanks!

Old 11-24-2007, 04:33 AM

947 posts, read 3,176,578 times
I would put my vote in for Asheville, NC

My radio station's Chief Engineer lvies there.. and I have many friends who live there.

it is a bit high up in the mountains and you will see a snowflake or towo, but uit wont get too cold.

But, it is definately artsy, the people are nice and it is liberal.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:12 PM

492 posts, read 1,917,312 times
Uhm, have you visited Siler City? Definitely NOT anything like Portland or Santa Fe! If you want NC with a green emphasis, then I'd second the Asheville suggestion, or Boone (in the mountains).

Old 11-25-2007, 04:25 PM

12,848 posts, read 24,506,085 times
A friend of mine, a successful writer/editor, has been in Portland for two years since being flooded out of New Orleans. He's 44. He says the arts/cultureal scene in Portland is absurdly under-30, Trustafarian, people thinking they're creative and weird because they have piercings or blue hair or something. He's sent me some theater reviews that would break your intellectual heart. Everything seems very juvenile out there, and artistic/social life seems very geared to much younger people. He's going back to N.O. soon, and taking a couple of Portlanders with him. It doesn't sound like a good place to be older at all.
I personally would favor Santa Fe, also. There are some affordable condos. It seems like a very adult town, and city-data says that some 30% were never married and there are many not-married people there. I think a lot of artistic people move there later in life or after raising the kids or divorce or something.
Taos is pretty small. I think the lunatic fringe is more apparent there. Lotsa low-riders at night. I have never gotten a good feel from Taos. Santa Fe, while touristy and all, is a real place, with a relatively real economy (state capital). I believe there is a light rail going in from Santa Fe to Albuquerque, which really is only about 60 miles to the Alb. airport. I'm sure there are shuttles.
The weather in Santa Fe is my ideal, although visually I prefer the white-topped mountains in Colorado. I wouldn't go to either place if I depended on my new venture to make a living- only if it was a side project to retirement income or some other means of income. One poster is quite correct about the competition and many many people in the same ventures.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:15 PM

2,253 posts, read 5,842,932 times
Wink Take a look

I met more than a few people in Taos who had come to a stage in their life when they wished a departure, something distinctly different. Thus more interested in finding themselves than the career or more traditional pursuits. It is a good place to branch out and try something different.

Santa Fe enjoys this as well but Taos more of an epicenter for green building and alternative architectural design.

Portland, OR is obviously much larger than either of these towns. Not to mention a distinctly different climate. Weather wise that is, culturally they may be somewhat similar, although I'm not that familiar with Portland.

Perhaps New Mexico will suite you best, although the PNW undeniably beautiful with distinct charms. You may have to visit both areas to know, as your life forward will be different depending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or