U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 12:35 PM

70 posts, read 156,658 times

Advertisements

I'm a single, straight, older woman, looking for a liberal, artsy spot to relocate to. I would like to find a sustainable and green-friendly town where I can start a retail business of eclectic hand-made goods of high quality (home decor and/or clothing).

I've been looking at Taos and am impressed with the earthships and general green friendly building practices. Portland is a bigger town but is known for it's green consciousness. The semi-rural area between Raleigh and Greensboro has it's appeal too and there are several green communities although I'm unclear about the general political leanings.

Can someone help? Not having lived in these places it's difficult to make a choice. I'll want to buy a house (green or older to fix), and have opportunities to open a retail store. I'm fairly shy so I'll need a built-in social network in order to meet new people.

I'm currently in Austin, TX. The culture is nice but the age group is a little young for social opportunities, and the unrelenting heat and super high humidity (97%) are killers. Real estate prices are high and I have issues with the unplanned nature of the town (read killer traffic to rival Orange County, CA in a mid-sized city).

I'd love to hear any and all comments. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 01:42 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 2,771,750 times
Hmmm.... I'd say that Portland might be your best bet.

Taos is expensive but a very small community and I would think a bit isolated for a single. Silver City is nice, my mom considered it. I don't know that it's as liberal as Taos or Portland though. But it would be the most cost effective and has more people than Taos does so you wouldn't be as isolated. I don't know how "environmental" Silver City is but both Portland and Taos are.

If you like to travel, then Portland because you will be a long way from any major airport in Taos or Silver City.

So it really depends on your criteria.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:20 PM

5,080 posts, read 7,661,206 times
I would consider one of the smaller towns near Portland, maybe even living across the line in Vancouver WA. No state tax and you can still hope the bridge to be in Portland any time you like.

As for N.M. Art and nature have you looked into Ruidoso, or Santa Fe? As you may know Santa Fe is a very Green friendly city.. very progressive in that area, and has a fantastic Art scene. It would be cheaper to live there than Austin, I would think. Just some ideas. Hope I have helped you some.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:30 PM

271 posts, read 1,042,462 times
I was in Silver City, New Mexico today and it's a artsy town but it does not
compare to Portland, Or. in my opinion but it's a lot smaller. There are several
art galleries downtown but most of the art was not the caliber of Santa Fe
by any means or Taos for that matter. I think you also mentioned a town
in NC and I can tell you from experience it is probably not liberal at all. I tried
out Nc for about 18 months and even though I did like it, I found it was
pretty much bible belt type of attitudes so I'm not so sure about the art
scene there. It might be worth checking out Silver City, NM as it would be
a lot less costly than Santa Fe or possibly Portland. Portland is a fairly large
city with a very good mass transit system which I found very handy but
there are the gray months when it rains and if that would get you down like
it did me I would forget the Portland area.

Good Luck

Old 09-19-2007, 09:38 PM
LLD

654 posts, read 2,771,750 times
Santa Fe is A LOT more expensive than Austin!

I lived in the Austin area for several years and believe me, Santa Fe is tons more expensive.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:37 AM

Wow I would have thought that Austin has really increased in cost of living
in the last few years. I guess after living in california for so many years
santa fe doesn't seem all that high to me. I know it is expensive but most
nice places are. It would certainly be someplace where you would not move
to if you do not have a fair amount of financial resourses to spend on housing.
I found after being up there a great deal of the time that food actually cost
less than T or C if you are a good shopper. Gas is still a little higher but
T or C food is not any bargin at this time and the gasoline is very high here
compared to other cities. With the new Walmart being built things could
change. Small towns always seem to have one or two people that control
the essential items we all seem to purchase and T or C is no exception. When
this occurs prices are not low. I will say that gasoline was at $3.09 in Silver
City yesterday so that's a little higher than T or C but one station here was
at $3.08 until one or two days ago.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:29 AM

2,857 posts, read 5,847,748 times
Silver City is a nice little town with lots of natural beauty and the Gila Wilderness close by. But I would hardly call it liberal; it's actually a quite conservative little town. Even the small university is quite conservative. Siver City is no Santa Fe.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:05 AM

Yep I would agree with that for sure. It's not a Santa Fe but it's one of the
few New Mexico cities that has a few buildings downtown. Actually if it was
a little larger it's downtown would probably impress me a lot more than Santa
Fe's downtown. There are quite a few liberal people who live in Silver City
though, but I'm sure more conservative than Santa Fe.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:39 AM

707 posts, read 2,648,386 times
I don't believe the Lindrix was inquiring about Silver City, NM rather Silver City, NC. Not trying to offend anyone, just want to make sure she gets answers to the three cities she is inquiring about.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,462 times
Angry comments on Ruidoso, Santa Fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I would consider one of the smaller towns near Portland, maybe even living across the line in Vancouver WA. No state tax and you can still hope the bridge to be in Portland any time you like.

As for N.M. Art and nature have you looked into Ruidoso, or Santa Fe? As you may know Santa Fe is a very Green friendly city.. very progressive in that area, and has a fantastic Art scene. It would be cheaper to live there than Austin, I would think. Just some ideas. Hope I have helped you some.
Ruidoso is in a lovely area, but a very scruffy town with lots of knick-knack business that go broke. Full of Texans, ergo not very liberal. Santa Fe is liberal, artsy, full of people trying to do small, artsy retail and galleries, ultra-competative. I live in SF and like it, but I don't have to earn a living. It is not by any means a cheap place to live. I am not very familiar with Portand, but it is a pretty place and I wouldn't mind living there but for the humidity.That would also apply to Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or