U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Los Angeles 31 36.47%
Chicago 54 63.53%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 09:15 PM

5,145 posts, read 4,985,538 times

Advertisements

LA:

Pros: Weather, Strong Image, Beaches, Coastline with wineries not too far
Cons: Serious traffic congestion, Far from everything but the west coast, weak skyline

Chicago:

Pros: Strong Skyline, Strong downtown environment (big city feeling), Close to many other US locations, Beautiful architecture

Cons: Weaker image, less warm weather and less sun (subjective for people who like warmer weather though), less global culture.

Decision: Chicago - because of the big city feel. I agree with the Steve-o. LA seems like a huge suburb.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:23 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,035,617 times
I live in Chicago but I love LA too. I think LA is better for weather, outdoor activities, natural beauty, proximity to ocean, desert, mountains, good job market, world class wineries and the best town if you're persuing a career in TV, film, etc.

I prefer Chicago's network of neighborhoods, more diverse other than black/white/Latino - many Europeans, better architecture, much better downtown core, public transit, food and also a strong job market.

Many parts of LA do remind me of intertwined suburbs, whereas Chicago is a patchwork of very different neighborhoods, each with their own feel, but yet having a sense of being urban. Good grid street layout, easy to navigate around without using highways or expressways.

I'd love to give living in LA a try but doubt I could afford to. For now, I visit.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:25 PM

374 posts, read 1,719,021 times
LA. Chicago is a total bore!

Old 09-19-2007, 10:06 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,410,752 times
LA is no where to be found on the list of the World's best cities, or North America's best cities according to many travelers.

Well, why didn't it say "New York, SF, LA" ???

Top 10 underrated U.S. cities - US and Canada - MSNBC.com

Condé Nast Traveler Readers' Choice Top Cities on Concierge.com

1.San Francisco 85.9 View Guide
2.Santa Fe 84.1 View Guide
3.New York City 82.9 View Guide
4.Chicago 82.2 View Guide
5.Charleston, S.C. 81.8 View Guide
6.Carmel 79.6 View Guide
7.Honolulu 78.4 View Guide
8.Aspen 78.3 View Guide
9.Seattle 78.0 View Guide
10.Sedona

Top 10 Cities U.S. and Canada
Rank Last Year Name 2006

2006 World's Best Cities | United States And Canada | Travel + Leisure

Score
1 1 New York 84.75
2 2 San Francisco 84.29
3 4 Chicago 82.52
4 6 Charleston, South Carolina 82.48
5 3 Santa Fe 82.06
6 5 Vancouver 81.45
7 7 Quebec City 80.98
8 9 Victoria, British Columbia 79.92
9 8 Montreal 79.46
10 n/a Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuan View Post
hahha thats true LA is the most hated city but still it gets the most tourist and all the famous people want to live. LA is known all over the world unlike chicago. my vote is for LA. there is nothing i want to see in chicago period, nothing comes to mind. hey im being honest. what is there to see there? lake michigan. if that lake is not in chicago then close enough, bcuz i can care less. i dont care about those great lakes when i can see the pacific ocean.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:58 PM

435 posts, read 1,175,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuan View Post
hahha thats true LA is the most hated city but still it gets the most tourist and all the famous people want to live. LA is known all over the world unlike chicago. my vote is for LA. there is nothing i want to see in chicago period, nothing comes to mind. hey im being honest. what is there to see there? lake michigan. if that lake is not in chicago then close enough, bcuz i can care less. i dont care about those great lakes when i can see the pacific ocean.
The famous people live in LA because that's where tv and movies (most anyway) are filmed. Maybe it was a decent place back in the day when the studios were getting cranked up. Who cares if LA is known all over the world? That isn't necessarily a good thing. Most people have heard of Baghdad...doesn't mean we want to visit or live there. I have to visit LA on occasion because my company is headquartered in Orange County. Except for the Pacific, I couldn't be less impressed. LA is crowded, old, dirty and the traffic is horrendous. Yes, there are some fabulous houses somewhere but who has time to divert from the 101 or 405 to find them? Unless you're ultrawealthy, it's totally not worth living there because you would have to live in a crappy stucco (is that what that weird clay stuff is?) house that is a 90 minute commute from work and not even worth the 500K you're paying for it. Ever notice how people in LA measure their drive by minutes, not miles?

Since I can't actually see across Lake Michigan unless I'm in a plane, the fact that the Pacific is bigger makes no difference to me. I've been to pretty much every metro area in the US. LA is by far the most overrated IMHO. Give me Chicago anytime. Or NYC. Or even Miami! I could go on and on but I won't. And I don't even live in Chicago.

We don't hate LA. We really couldn't care less especially since you're going to fall into the worshipped Pacific someday. We just don't know why you're so impressed with yourself.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:27 PM

1,134 posts, read 854,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post

Yes, Chicago is always gray and almost always cold, but I like weather to be cold and dry. I like to wear heavy clothing from stylish designers that thrive because they compete in a market of pure talent, not those overly saturated with whatever designer E! or Vogue are propagandizing for this week. I like to sit on my friend's porch in the dead end of winter with a blanket and drink a hot toddy while the snow in the neighborhood glows in the sunset.

So my complete affection for both cities is undiminished
Facepalms? There's no way a guy is going to sit on a porch in Chicago winter, and look at golden snow. Coldwine, are you a girl? You say that your affection for both is undiminished, but aside from a crack about Chicago being a poor imitation (bad enough), you sound like a typical basher. L. A. doesn't exactly have crumbling infrastructure, that distinction goes to midwest and eastcoast cities. The economy is doing just fine in L. A. at the moment, just problems with extreme growth. Where u at?

Old 09-19-2007, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisak64 View Post

I prefer Chicago's network of neighborhoods, more diverse other than black/white/Latino - many Europeans, better architecture, much better downtown core, public transit, food and also a strong job market.
I'd love to give living in LA a try but doubt I could afford to. For now, I visit.
You may need to do more research, or try more 'visits'. L. A. is the most ethnically and culturally diversified city in the world. The weather is the only thing that's not diverse. Black/white/latino? Geesh, lisak64! What does 64 stand for? The percentage of posts you make that are utterly wrong?

Old 09-19-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
LA is no where to be found on the list of the World's best cities, or North America's best cities according to many travelers.
Well, why didn't it say "New York, SF, LA" ???
I guess the 56 million people who visited the L. A. area ( more than anywhere in 2006 ) all left broken hearted! Keep trying downtown, you'll get there someday.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:06 AM

718 posts, read 2,440,419 times
LA is waaay more diverse than chicago....

Old 09-20-2007, 12:11 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,410,752 times
You were a bit late in the game.

I already cited a more reliable source that shows LA ranks #7 in terms of total visitors in 2006 according to D.K. Shifflet & Associates Ltd. (DKS&A).

FYI..DKS&A is a company that provides travel consulting services to most US major cities like NY, Chicago, SF, LA, Seattle, D.C, Boston...etc

Chicago, New York, Atlanta & Orlando all tie for 1st place followed by Houston (2), Atlantic city (3), San Diego (4), Dallas (5), San Antonio (6) and LA (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
I guess the 56 million people who visited the L. A. area ( more than anywhere in 2006 ) all left broken hearted! Keep trying downtown, you'll get there someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City