U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Los Angeles 31 36.47%
Chicago 54 63.53%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 12:12 AM

1,134 posts, read 855,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
The famous people live in LA because that's where tv and movies (most anyway) are filmed. Maybe it was a decent place back in the day when the studios were getting cranked up. Who cares if LA is known all over the world? That isn't necessarily a good thing. Most people have heard of Baghdad...doesn't mean we want to visit or live there. I have to visit LA on occasion because my company is headquartered in Orange County. Except for the Pacific, I couldn't be less impressed. LA is crowded, old, dirty and the traffic is horrendous. Yes, there are some fabulous houses somewhere but who has time to divert from the 101 or 405 to find them? Unless you're ultrawealthy, it's totally not worth living there because you would have to live in a crappy stucco (is that what that weird clay stuff is?) house that is a 90 minute commute from work and not even worth the 500K you're paying for it. Ever notice how people in LA measure their drive by minutes, not miles?

Since I can't actually see across Lake Michigan unless I'm in a plane, the fact that the Pacific is bigger makes no difference to me. I've been to pretty much every metro area in the US. LA is by far the most overrated IMHO. Give me Chicago anytime. Or NYC. Or even Miami! I could go on and on but I won't. And I don't even live in Chicago.

We don't hate LA. We really couldn't care less especially since you're going to fall into the worshipped Pacific someday. We just don't know why you're so impressed with yourself.
Now this is impressive! So much hate, topped off with the L. A. haters favorite cherry of a dream on top; ultimate seismic destruction! Lizzieborden, you get my nomination for the Golden Hater statue of the year, or at least of the thread! Stucco isn't clay.. by the way. The clay is between your ears as stucco makes for a fine, sturdy exterior insulation. Much better than the musty floorboards or mildewy aluminum siding where you're from. Another girl I have to speak to in such tones, where are you from? If you're going to fly into Orange County, an area you may not fit in well with for reasons illustrated by your bitter post up, you should try John Wayne or L A X. You should be nowhere near the 101. Are you a young person, like FutureCop? Do you work in a tee-shirt shop headquartered in Irvine? L. A. is known all over the world more than any other location for good reason. It's managed to bring this dump up out of its oooze and made it laugh, or smile. Or cry. It broadens the human experience simply by being a better storyteller than the others. And it fascinates you too! Face it, otherwise you wouldn't have a lover/hater relationship with it! Please explain yourself better next time.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:16 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,411,679 times
Not sure about diversity but I only know Spanish is the most widely spoken language in LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
LA is waaay more diverse than chicago....

Old 09-20-2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
You were a bit late in the game.

I already cited a more reliable source that shows LA ranks #7 in terms of total visitors in 2006 according to D.K. Shifflet & Associates Ltd. (DKS&A).

FYI..DKS&A is a company that provides travel consulting services to most US major cities like NY, Chicago, SF, LA, Seattle, D.C, Boston...etc

Chicago, New York, Atlanta & Orlando all tie for 1st place followed by Houston (2), Atlantic city (3), San Diego (4), Dallas (5), San Antonio (6) and LA (7)
They were all tied for first, were they? The exact same headcount! You have come a long way!

Old 09-20-2007, 12:26 AM

718 posts, read 2,441,270 times
Quote:
Not sure about diversity but I only know Spanish is the most widely spoken language in LA.
Well here is a link to make you a bit less unsure:

Los Angeles, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Direct quotes:

By the next national census, Los Angeles is expected to have a Latino majority for the first time since 1850. The Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is the number one point of entry for immigrants in the country. The Latino, Asian American, and Caribbean populations are growing particularly quickly — the Asian-American population is the largest of any U.S. city. Los Angeles hosts large populations of Cambodians, Iranians, Armenians, Belizeans, Bulgarians, Ethiopians, Filipinos, Guatemalans, Hungarians, Koreans, Israelis, Mexicans, Salvadorans, Thais, and Pacific Islanders such as Samoans. Los Angeles is also home to the largest populations of Japanese living in the United States, and has one of the largest Native American populations in the country. The metropolitan area also is home to the second largest concentration of people of Jewish descent (estimated at 621,000)[48] in the Americas, after New York City. Los Angeles also has the second largest Nicaraguan community in the US after Miami. It also host a sizable South Asian community. Los Angeles experienced minor waves of European immigration in the late 1800s and early 1900s and the city has sizeable populations of German, Greek, Irish, Italian, Romanian, Romani, Polish, Portuguese, Serb, Spanish, Lebanese, Croatian and Ukrainian descent.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:39 AM

More than 240 languages spoken in the LAUSD.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:51 AM

234 posts, read 1,077,118 times
Quote:
LA is no where to be found on the list of the World's best cities, or North America's best cities according to many travelers.

Well, why didn't it say "New York, SF, LA" ???

Top 10 underrated U.S. cities - US and Canada - MSNBC.com

Condé Nast Traveler Readers' Choice Top Cities on Concierge.com

1.San Francisco 85.9 View Guide
2.Santa Fe 84.1 View Guide
3.New York City 82.9 View Guide
4.Chicago 82.2 View Guide
5.Charleston, S.C. 81.8 View Guide
6.Carmel 79.6 View Guide
7.Honolulu 78.4 View Guide
8.Aspen 78.3 View Guide
9.Seattle 78.0 View Guide
10.Sedona

Top 10 Cities U.S. and Canada
Rank Last Year Name 2006

2006 World's Best Cities | United States And Canada | Travel + Leisure

Score
1 1 New York 84.75
2 2 San Francisco 84.29
3 4 Chicago 82.52
4 6 Charleston, South Carolina 82.48
5 3 Santa Fe 82.06
6 5 Vancouver 81.45
7 7 Quebec City 80.98
8 9 Victoria, British Columbia 79.92
9 8 Montreal 79.46
10 n/a Seattle

how can u go by that list? where is london,hong kong,paris,japan? lol i rather LA not be on that horrible list

Old 09-20-2007, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziebeth View Post
The famous people live in LA because that's where tv and movies (most anyway) are filmed. Maybe it was a decent place back in the day when the studios were getting cranked up. Who cares if LA is known all over the world? That isn't necessarily a good thing. Most people have heard of Baghdad...doesn't mean we want to visit or live there. I have to visit LA on occasion because my company is headquartered in Orange County. Except for the Pacific, I couldn't be less impressed. LA is crowded, old, dirty and the traffic is horrendous. Yes, there are some fabulous houses somewhere but who has time to divert from the 101 or 405 to find them? Unless you're ultrawealthy, it's totally not worth living there because you would have to live in a crappy stucco (is that what that weird clay stuff is?) house that is a 90 minute commute from work and not even worth the 500K you're paying for it. Ever notice how people in LA measure their drive by minutes, not miles?

Since I can't actually see across Lake Michigan unless I'm in a plane, the fact that the Pacific is bigger makes no difference to me. I've been to pretty much every metro area in the US. LA is by far the most overrated IMHO. Give me Chicago anytime. Or NYC. Or even Miami! I could go on and on but I won't. And I don't even live in Chicago.

We don't hate LA. We really couldn't care less especially since you're going to fall into the worshipped Pacific someday. We just don't know why you're so impressed with yourself.

movies aint got nothing to do with it, since they make millions and can live anywhere in the world if they wanted to and they choose LA. If ur rich than LA is for you if ur poor well u can live in texas :P.. dont act like chicago aint dirty have u seen the south side ? . its also has the most crime of every big city. ur bias. who would want to live in a lil apartment and be awaken by ur nieghbors arguing,fighting,or having rough sex. Your kids would want to go outside and play but they cant bcuz ur living in downtown chicago(since i know ur not living on the south side). so where would ur kid play in traffic? while people in LA live in really nice places like hollywood hills, santa monica, bel-air, malibu, etc. they have huge yards and homes with all the space you need. we are more of the car person. you can walk ur ***** all around chicago if u want on those rainy,snowy days, late at night praying that you wont be mugged since chicago has more crime. you can also visit lake michigan with its life-less waves while we have a real ocean with real dangerous fish and reptiles. u can see whales,sharks,dolphins, seals,octupus,etc in the pacific. LA also has Catalina island, many amusement parks, a real forest with real animals like deers, bears, mountain lions who occasionally show up around town. while in chicago u can ice skate but in LA u can snow ski during the winter at snow summit or the other mountains in the area. In a month a portion of la live will be finish and it will have its grand opening, the american music awards is going to be held there the same day as the lakers playing in the staples center, while the LA car show is going to be held in the LA convention center. all of that is going to be happening at the same time in the same area while ur at home sitting on ur ***** watching the music awards :P sucks to be you

Last edited by donjuan; 09-20-2007 at 03:19 AM..

Old 09-20-2007, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
They were all tied for first, were they? The exact same headcount! You have come a long way!

lol good point. how can Chicago, New York, Atlanta & Orlando all tie for 1st place. they might as well add Utah to that list

Old 09-20-2007, 07:42 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,411,679 times
Yes, they were. And LA ranks #7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post

Old 09-20-2007, 08:48 AM

20,005 posts, read 67,976,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuan View Post
we have a real ocean with real dangerous fish and reptiles.
Sweet. Now do me a favor and go kiss that great white shark or cuddle up with that sidewinder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City