Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Los Angeles 31 36.47%
Chicago 54 63.53%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 05:28 PM

50 posts, read 39,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekinghome View Post
Hands down Chicago is all ways. Been to both and don't care if I never go to LA again. It's a nightmare to get around in, the downtown parts I was in are dirty, public transportation takes a year and a half to get anywhere, and by car it took me over an hour to go less than 10 miles. Who needs that kind of aggravation? The only plus for LA over Chicago is weather. But you could always plan a trip in the winter to get away from Chicago for a bit if you needed to. You'd have a hard time getting out of LA-stuck in traffic no matter where you are trying to escape to. And costs! of everything...
Sorry I am not a fan of LA. Have spent some wonderful time in Chicago though.

move to chicago so you can help the decreasing population problems

Old 09-30-2007, 11:08 PM

374 posts, read 1,852,020 times
I just got back from a weekend in LA. I would like to change my vote to Chicago. What the heck was I thinking. LA is ABSOLUTELY wretched!

Old 10-01-2007, 12:37 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,624 times
I've been talking to beoner and he admits it was foolish to visit L. A. without a car. He's not very pro-active!

Old 10-01-2007, 01:04 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Milky, don't be fooled. Anyone with a high school degree knows LA is insignificant when it comes to hi-tech. According to a joint research by UC Berkeley & Minnesota, it cites Chicago, SF, Boston, New York, DC, Seattle and Austin as the leading hi-tech metros with Chicago having the largest hi-tech employment of all US cities. LA is not even mentioned, or viewed as the hi-tech region according to this study. It's no surprise because brainpower is something that LA does not have. Do you get it, Milky?

Gauging Metropolitan "High-Tech" and "I-Tech" Activity -- Chapple et al. 18 (1): 10 -- Economic Development Quarterly

http://www.hhh.umn.edu/img/assets/61...hanghai106.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Poor L.A. It's getting run down. The men's bathroom at Bloomingdale's in Century City was smelly and sticky. It looked nice to the eyes but to the nose it was terrible.

Then when I went grocery shopping at Von's in West Palmdale (on Rancho Vista/Avenue P and 30th ST W), I had to get a token to open the men's room door. I thought I had to pay for it like in Europe but the slot was much smaller than a dime and the label said "1 Token" and "Tokens are available at the customer service counter. When I was able to open it, the bathroom was vandalized with graffiti and the bathroom was trashed. I immediately thought SoCal is declining and full of crime. No wonder my Aunt doesn't want to use public restrooms and prefers to hold it until she arrives at home. She said that the last year when she was in Houston but I didn't know what she meant until this summer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekinghome View Post
Hands down Chicago is all ways. Been to both and don't care if I never go to LA again. It's a nightmare to get around in, the downtown parts I was in are dirty, public transportation takes a year and a half to get anywhere, and by car it took me over an hour to go less than 10 miles. Who needs that kind of aggravation? The only plus for LA over Chicago is weather. But you could always plan a trip in the winter to get away from Chicago for a bit if you needed to. You'd have a hard time getting out of LA-stuck in traffic no matter where you are trying to escape to. And costs! of everything...
Sorry I am not a fan of LA. Have spent some wonderful time in Chicago though.
Towny, looks like you might have been fooled by some weird, obscure site that actually referred to 'Silicon Valley' as a city. The list of top tech cities, especially the lower tier ones with no mention of Los Angeles, was a good time. Ironic that Shanghai is a major trading partner of L. A.! My earlier posts stand. Kerry, what are you doing in these bathrooms? You're not tapping out 'love' code, are you? I imagine those 'sticky floors' can interfere with the footsying! Another post that wasn't exactly informative in any real sense, but entertaining! Seekinghome, stay home! You're not cut out for it. It's too much for ya.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
I've been talking to beoner and he admits it was foolish to visit L. A. without a car. He's not very pro-active!
I never admitted such a thing - we HAD a rental car. You see - most normal people actually like to walk. Most normal people, who have travel experience, know you see a lot more walking then zooming by in a car. It's NORMAL to walk. I prefer to walk! My friend prefers to walk! We thought it would be nice to walk around the neighborhoods. Problem is, there's nothing to see in the neighborhoods. As my German friend said, "There's no life here." My LA friend agreed. She can't wait until she's had a couple years at this production company so she can move to NYC.

Sorry LA, you're the Houston of the west!

Last edited by beone; 10-01-2007 at 10:46 AM..

Old 10-01-2007, 01:03 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,872,333 times
It's sad how Chicago and NYC like to bash on L.A.....I think alot of it has to do with feeling threatened in loosing their rankings.

If their is one City that can bump Chicago or NYC off from their spots,it's L.A.

L.A already bumped Chicago down to 3rd place,and NYC is concerned about loosing it's top position,so NYC has the tendency to add Cities/States to it's Metro to remain on top.

Your Right,L.A won't bow down to either of those 2 Cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
That's true! NY has been trying to start a fight with L. A. for decades now. It's all they're interested in, starting fights, but L. A. won't bow or have any of it. Just not interested. Still, this is L. A./Chicago?

Old 10-01-2007, 01:06 PM

2 Bullies against L.A....Talk about an unfair match

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuan demarco View Post
yeah toasty i see how chicagoans cant compete with LA so they try to throw New york in it too, like New York is there big brother they look up to.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
It's sad how Chicago and NYC like to bash on L.A.....I think alot of it has to do with feeling threatened in loosing their rankings.

If their is one City that can bump Chicago or NYC off from their spots,it's L.A.

L.A already bumped Chicago down to 3rd place,and NYC is concerned about loosing it's top position,so NYC has the tendency to add Cities/States to it's Metro to remain on top.

Your Right,L.A won't bow down to either of those 2 Cities.
Sorry, but population size and geographic size have little to do with quality. Look at it this way, LA is already the 2nd largest city in the country and it isn't 1/2 the city NYC, Chicago, Boston, D.C., SF or Seattle are. You could probably add a few more to the list. Santa Monica even outshines LA. LA isn't even the best city in LA county. How funny is that? LA will never even measure up to any of those cities. LA is wretched...purely wretched.

A friend from Seattle emailed me today and said, "How was your trip to Hell-A, as I like to call it." I like that. It's very fitting.

Last edited by beone; 10-01-2007 at 01:19 PM..

Old 10-01-2007, 03:01 PM

L.A is a City of Extremes.

The Quality of Life in L.A depends on your Location and your Income,the same as in every other City.

L.A has traditionally been a Car Oriented City,but times are changing and L.A has been Revitalizing it's Downtown and creating Multiple Cores of Vibrancy throughout the Region...L.A is also building Upwards.

If you hate L.A,well that's your opinion,but I used to live there as a kid,and I still visit there once in a while,and I always had a wonderful time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
Sorry, but population size and geographic size have little to do with quality. Look at it this way, LA is already the 2nd largest city in the country and it isn't 1/2 the city NYC, Chicago, Boston, D.C., SF or Seattle are. You could probably add a few more to the list. Santa Monica even outshines LA. LA isn't even the best city in LA county. How funny is that? LA will never even measure up to any of those cities. LA is wretched...purely wretched.

A friend from Seattle emailed me today and said, "How was your trip to Hell-A, as I like to call it." I like that. It's very fitting.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
L.A is a City of Extremes.

The Quality of Life in L.A depends on your Location and your Income,the same as in every other City.

L.A has traditionally been a Car Oriented City,but times are changing and L.A has been Revitalizing it's Downtown and creating Multiple Cores of Vibrancy throughout the Region...L.A is also building Upwards.

If you hate L.A,well that's your opinion,but I used to live there as a kid,and I still visit there once in a while,and I always had a wonderful time.
Oh, I had a wonderful time (for the most part). I don't care where you are - you can find ways to have a great time. I had a great time in Santa Monica yesterday, that's for sure.

LA's lack of character, life and charm all stems from the automobile. It totally and completely elminates that "city experience"...making it feel as though you're in one giant suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City