U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Los Angeles 31 36.47%
Chicago 54 63.53%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 09:21 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,578,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
You were a bit late in the game.

I already cited a more reliable source that shows LA ranks #7 in terms of total visitors in 2006 according to D.K. Shifflet & Associates Ltd. (DKS&A).
Your source is not reliable. It's a joke.

The Forbes list is reliable.

America's 30 Most Visited Cities | ForbesTraveler.com (http://www.forbestraveler.com/2007/07/07072701_story_2.html - broken link)

Last edited by TheRealAngelion; 09-20-2007 at 09:43 AM..

Old 09-20-2007, 09:29 AM

374 posts, read 1,719,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuan View Post
how can u go by that list? where is london,hong kong,paris,japan? lol i rather LA not be on that horrible list
It's a North American list only (US and Canada)

Old 09-20-2007, 09:34 AM

4,514 posts, read 8,595,852 times
Quote:
Your kids would want to go outside and play but they cant bcuz ur living in downtown chicago(since i know ur not living on the south side).
Not just downtown Chicago but the North Side is the good side of Chicago. Have you ever been to Chicago?

I forgot to mention that this thread is a continuation of Chicago and L.A. debates on the L.A. vs. S.F. thread.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:04 AM

7,936 posts, read 13,540,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Sports? Tie.

I wouldn't say sports is a tie. LA doesn't have an NFL team. LA is a poor sports city. Dodgers fans show up in the 3rd inning and leave in the 7th. And any city that huge that does not even have 1 NFL team is a bad sports town. They had two, and they both bolted around the same time.

I've never been to either city, but I'd vote Chicago. It seems more east coast, like Philly, NY, and Boston. It seems like an area of genuine hard-working people, and the city has some great old architecture. LA, to me, seems like an area of fake, materialistic people, and mostly newer buildings devoid of character. I know they are generalizations, but there is some truth to them.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:12 AM

20,005 posts, read 67,942,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I wouldn't say sports is a tie. LA doesn't have an NFL team. LA is a poor sports city. Dodgers fans show up in the 3rd inning and leave in the 7th. And any city that huge that does not even have 1 NFL team is a bad sports town. They had two, and they both bolted around the same time.
True. I was referring to quantity, not quality. If quality was the case, its no contest that Chicago boasts better fans, more historical teams, better venues, etc.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:44 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,410,752 times
Sorry to burst your bubble but I trust D.K. Shifflet & Associates data more than Forbes. Forbes Traveler site is not a well-respected Travel Consulting company like DKS&A. Don't forget that LA and California tourism are also clients of DKS&A. LA ranks #7 according to the study so be it.

DESTINATION CLIENTS

The U.S. Government, Department of Commerce

States: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

Cities: Asheville, Atlantic City, Baltimore, Boston, Branson, Buffalo, Canton, Charlotte, Chicago, Cleveland, Colonial Williamsburg, Dallas, Detroit, Durham, Ft. Lauderdale, Hilton Head, Hot Springs, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Kissimmee/St. Cloud, Lancaster, Las Vegas, Laurel Highlands, Little Rock, Long Island, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Myrtle Beach, Nashville, New York City, Niagara Falls, Orlando, PA Dutch/Lancaster, Pigeon Forge, Poconos, Providence, San Antonio, San Diego, San Francisco, Savannah, St. Louis, Tulsa, and Traverse City.

International: Canadian Tourism Commission, Israel, Ontario, and British Columbia, .

Theme Parks: Universal Studios, Busch Entertainment, Silver Dollar City and Dollywood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Your source is not reliable. It's a joke.

The Forbes list is reliable.

America's 30 Most Visited Cities | ForbesTraveler.com (http://www.forbestraveler.com/2007/07/07072701_story_2.html - broken link)

Old 09-20-2007, 11:08 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,410,752 times
I think no one can give a better perspective of how its like to live in LA than the "average" Angelenos who reside there.

"Lets face it, unless there is some serious disfunctional reason for wanting to stay in the Los Angeles area other than all of your family is there, then get the hell out.

LA is crumbling fast. I work as a Deputy in LA's jails and see it first hand. I am sorry to paint a dark and gloomy picture, but it is the truth. Gangs are growing faster now than ever, growing with such intensity as there is no way to ever extinguish the fire. Drugs, go hand and hand with gangs. Conjestion, well LA is the worst by far! Pollution, YEP!

Here is one major sobering thought that no one on this forum has said yet, Earthquakes. We have all heard of the "Big One." But, don't forget about the dozens of other faults under down town LA. Get a good center 8.0 quake around there and forget about Katrina, ****, that area will be a mess of untold proportions. Remember, there are around 4 million people who live in LA city alone, and over 12 million in LA county not to mention the other areas such as Orange County, Riverside, San Bernadino, and Ventura!

Prices are absolutely ridiculous, driving anywhere takes some serious time. I am on my way out, maybe I have already gone, but think before you consider a move here about what impact this environment well have on your children and your piece of mind! If that doesn't work, then visit me in the jail and I will straighten your head out for you!"

Get out if you can!!!!

Quote:
movies aint got nothing to do with it, since they make millions and can live anywhere in the world if they wanted to and they choose LA. If ur rich than LA is for you if ur poor well u can live in texas :P.. dont act like chicago aint dirty have u seen the south side ? . its also has the most crime of every big city. ur bias. who would want to live in a lil apartment and be awaken by ur nieghbors arguing,fighting,or having rough sex. Your kids would want to go outside and play but they cant bcuz ur living in downtown chicago(since i know ur not living on the south side). so where would ur kid play in traffic? while people in LA live in really nice places like hollywood hills, santa monica, bel-air, malibu, etc. they have huge yards and homes with all the space you need. we are more of the car person. you can walk ur ***** all around chicago if u want on those rainy,snowy days, late at night praying that you wont be mugged since chicago has more crime. you can also visit lake michigan with its life-less waves while we have a real ocean with real dangerous fish and reptiles. u can see whales,sharks,dolphins, seals,octupus,etc in the pacific. LA also has Catalina island, many amusement parks, a real forest with real animals like deers, bears, mountain lions who occasionally show up around town. while in chicago u can ice skate but in LA u can snow ski during the winter at snow summit or the other mountains in the area. In a month a portion of la live will be finish and it will have its grand opening, the american music awards is going to be held there the same day as the lakers playing in the staples center, while the LA car show is going to be held in the LA convention center. all of that is going to be happening at the same time in the same area while ur at home sitting on ur ***** watching the music awards :P sucks to be you

Old 09-20-2007, 01:41 PM

1,510 posts, read 4,574,986 times
Why do all of these type of threads end up bashing L.A.? Yes we all know its got negatives, but guess what? Every city does. Youre never going to find a perfect place to live because that place doesnt exist. If someone likes L.A. more than Chicago, or vise versa, who cares? Thats their opinion, and theyre entitled to it (and yes I know, so are you). Dont try to put that persons city of choice to shame just because you dont like it or have had bad experiences in it.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:45 PM

374 posts, read 1,719,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post

I've never been to either city, but I'd vote Chicago. It seems more east coast, like Philly, NY, and Boston. It seems like an area of genuine hard-working people, and the city has some great old architecture. LA, to me, seems like an area of fake, materialistic people, and mostly newer buildings devoid of character. I know they are generalizations, but there is some truth to them.
I don't evaluate a city on sports at all. Although I am a huge NFL fan (Vikings - pity me), I would never rate one city lower than another based on sports.

Chicago is NOT east coast. It's midwest. Generally very nice people, who are friendly, but reserved to a degree. It's not as intense as the east coast, or as laid back as the west coast. Kind of in the middle.

I guess each person evaluates different things. Being young and single, I would definitely choose LA. I think it's a lot more fun. If I were married and have kids, I'd probably choose Chicago. But, then again, I hate winter and am so glad to be away from it.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:14 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,566,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
L. A. is the most ethnically and culturally diversified city in the world.
I love this statement. You can't be serious... More diverse than NYC? Yeah, that's why almost 50% of your population is Hispanic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City