U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Los Angeles 31 36.47%
Chicago 54 63.53%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 04:47 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,579,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Is that all you can say...Gee...this is the 3rd time I have you cornered

Yes, you really have me cornered. I am sweating and breaking out in hives even.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:01 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,411,389 times
Yeah..need I remind you of your "unmistakable claim" saying LA has 40 Fortune 500 companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Yes, you really have me cornered. I am sweating and breaking out in hives even.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Yeah..need I remind you of your "unmistakable claim" saying LA has 40 Fortune 500 companies.
Just like I'll remind you of your infamous and erroneous claim that Compton wasn't a city--even after being provided with a link to its city Web site.

Remember that? Your falsification of the truth was so out of control and hysterical that the mods shut your thread down. LOL

Old 09-20-2007, 06:01 PM

haha...I never said Compton is not a city ...you made it up. I said from time to time that Compton is part of LA even its outside of the city limits but you kept alienating Compton and never acknowledged it.

We all know Compton is one of the most dangerous places in Amercia according to the Morgan Quitno Crime report. Just like you guys have always claimed Beverly Hills (a seperated city) part of LA, why not with Compton. What is the reason? An inferiority complex?

3 errorenous claims, which turn out to be a big joke are all originated from one person..
1. LA has 40 Fortune 500 companies 2. LA has more hi-tech related jobs than Chicago 3. DK Shifflet & Associates is an obscure, no-name company

Quote:
Just like I'll remind you of your infamous and erroneous claim that Compton wasn't a city--even after being provided with a link to its city Web site.

Remember that? Your falsification of the truth was so out of control and hysterical that the mods shut your thread down. LOL

Old 09-20-2007, 07:23 PM

655 posts, read 2,054,798 times
Now, I haven't been to Los Angeles. In fact, that was the only city out of the top five most populated I haven't been to yet, but man, Chicago's an awesome town. It reminded me so much of the Big Apple that I really started to miss it. It was much cleaner, too; that's a plus in my book. Everyone was for the most part friendly, and almost gave the impression of being down to Earth. Whether they were or not is a different story.

My friends who have been to LA say there's something for everybody out there, but then follow it up with "although it's really not 'you'". A small faux pas in assessment, but I trust my friends' judgment. I'm sure I will see it someday, regardless, just to say I've been there.

Watching the people root for Chicago was cool too. Everyone was a unified front, havin' fun and cheering like none other. I stopped watching NFL when I was about eight or so, but watching everyone on game day was a sight to see.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:44 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,568,471 times
Quote:
There are a few regulars who are quite well known without being mentioned by name who are absolutely obsessed with LA, in a very jealous and envious sort of way. Any and every thread about LA they will not only be among the first to post a response, but usually post the most repsonses.

It just goes to show and reinforce the level of influence, dominance and greatness of LA that it would be so discussed, debated, praised, and ridiculed on a daily basis on City Data. People don't spend this much time talking about city's that are irrelevant and boring.

All of the bashing is sort of a back handed compliment. It shows that people are really drawn to and captivated by the place whether they profess to like it or not.
Jealousy... Love it! NYC, Chicago, and San Francisco are America's top 3 cities. These are true cities.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:47 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,568,471 times
You know, I can't even take 50% of te LA posters seriously. First of all, they can't type for ****. Second, 90% of them have never set foot in Chicago or NYC. And third, they believe LA is superior because they have more celebs.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:02 PM

Ditto. Sometimes I feel some of the LA posters are a botched joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
You know, I can't even take 50% of te LA posters seriously. First of all, they can't type for ****. Second, 90% of them have never set foot in Chicago or NYC. And third, they believe LA is superior because they have more celebs.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I don't think any of us take YOU seriously. In fact, I don't think anyone on City Data takes you seriously, except for the two or three other high schoolers on here from Chicago.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:11 PM

705 posts, read 2,995,713 times
Quote:
Jealousy... Love it! NYC, Chicago, and San Francisco are America's top 3 cities. These are true cities.
Could you please read a little bit of the history of why these cities are what they are today, please. Im not saying they arent great, but theres a reason they are what they are and it all starts around mid 19th century. For example, Chicago is the leading skyscrapper city and not New York because in 1870 a hiuge fire struck Chicago and it destroyed most of the city, leaving destruction and open space for new architecture. From then, Chicago started all over again with new skyscrappers to replace the old burnt buildings. The same with San Francisco, it was brought down by an earthquake in 1906 thus leaving major new land for new construction. These three cities grew tremendously in a short period of time because of immigration and thats why they are concentrated in one place unlike other cities.

Los Angeles isnt concentrated in one place and thats why it gets bashed so much since its a major city, full of incoming immigrants and really spread out. Los Angeles didnt really start growing like it was planned because most people were farmers and started cities like Hollywood, Century, and Santa Monica in other areas far from the city and were not incorporated until much later.

The Los Angeles river and Los Angeles freeways were designed to concentrate city growth in one area but it never happened because most people wanted to live in other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City