Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Los Angeles 31 36.47%
Chicago 54 63.53%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 06:33 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
I don't think any of us take YOU seriously. In fact, I don't think anyone on City Data takes you seriously, except for the two or three other high schoolers on here from Chicago.
Of course you don't, you're Donnies little friend who also thinks richer=superior. I don't think you took Einstein seriously either, did you?

Old 09-21-2007, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
This idea that a great city requires a "good" downtown is a very parochial, American concept, mostly promoted by folks on the eastern half of the country who seem to think everyone should follow their example of how a city should look and feel. Most of the great cities of Europe don't have downtowns. They have neighborhoods and districts. This is essentially what LA has as well, although that doesn't mean its development and growth was based on any European urban planning concept. Far from. But over time LA has evolved to the point that it has a combination of many unique and dynamic commercial centers and districts (e.g. downtown, Westwood, Century City, Hollywood, Warner Center, etc.) as well as more quaint neighorhoods with their own charm, character, and identity (e.g. Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, Larchmont, Los Feliz, Silverlake, etc.).

This is a characteristic of LA that people who like LA find appealing. I love that in one night, I can have dinner in Beverly Hills, a concert to go to downtown or in Hollywood, and drinks to cap the night off in West Hollywood or Silverlake. It's fun, and you know that each area you go to will have a different vibe, dynamic and mix of people. I would absolutely hate if everything was concentrated downtown. That would be really boring for LA.
Both Chicago and New York have plenty to do outside the downtown districts. Easily comparable to LA, if not more.

I don't see anything charming about LA. You want charm, head to Plymouth, MA, Cooperstown, NY, or Greenport, NY. That's charm.

I understand that Angelenos have a characteristic that's different from Chicagoans and New Yorkers, but I don't feel that Angelenos have their morals in the right place. They put their fricking cars before their kids.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
That's what I love about L.A....Everything is not confined into just one area,but scattered all over,which actually makes it more interesting in exploring the region.
So, Chicago and NYC have nothing to do outside of the Downtown or Midtown districts?

Old 09-21-2007, 06:59 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
Apparently not ... heh. I'll remember than next time I leave my house and walk down the street ignoring the throngs of people who are out in about at the myriad of restaurants, stores, nightclubs, storefront theaters, concert venues, and art galleries in my non-downtown neighborhood about 3 miles northwest of the city center, because there is nothing to do outside of downtown. Those people are all deluding themselves, it is all a mirage, they should be home watching television dreaming of LA.

Carry on my good folks, carry on ...

Old 09-21-2007, 08:44 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Apparently not ... heh. I'll remember than next time I leave my house and walk down the street ignoring the throngs of people who are out in about at the myriad of restaurants, stores, nightclubs, storefront theaters, concert venues, and art galleries in my non-downtown neighborhood about 3 miles northwest of the city center, because there is nothing to do outside of downtown. Those people are all deluding themselves, it is all a mirage, they should be home watching television dreaming of LA.

Carry on my good folks, carry on ...
Thanks for joining in. I think these Angelinos need to spend a little time outside of L.A. Thats if they can unglue themselves from Entertainment Tonight and catching up on what celebrity is dating who or what celebrity is wearing what.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:54 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I don't see anything charming about LA.
That's because you have never been to LA.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:54 AM

84 posts, read 86,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thanks for joining in. I think these Angelinos need to spend a little time outside of L.A. Thats if they can unglue themselves from Entertainment Tonight and catching up on what celebrity is dating who or what celebrity is wearing what.
Here come the LA haters, true to form. Well at least you guys are consistent.

We all know that Chicago is really great and all. But can you please explain then why LA is continuing to grow and at a rate that Chicago could never touch. My mother is a real estate agent for San Diego, but does a great deal of work in LA metro. For everyone of those homes that are going for sale in the 'Great LA Exodus' there are two families that are outbidding each other to get them. I doubt you see that in Chicago.

You see, you Chicago lovers miss the point. For Chicago's size, and the rate that it has grown, your city should have very little problems.

LA has never stopped growing! EVER! LA is still growing believe it or not. The city has had to cope with problems while it is still growing. Chicago lost more people than it gained last year. Why can't you solve your problems?! It shouldn't be that hard. Oh, yeah. Maybe because the people of Chicago voted the most corrupt man in the history of American govenors in as their leader. Excellent choice!

Last edited by lunarshield; 09-21-2007 at 09:17 AM..

Old 09-21-2007, 08:58 AM

374 posts, read 1,852,551 times
Quote:
So, Chicago and NYC have nothing to do outside of the Downtown or Midtown districts?
I know. That is a the most ridiculous comment I've seen on here.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:04 AM

84 posts, read 86,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
I know. That is a the most ridiculous comment I've seen on here.
Why do the LA haters always bash because LA lacks a dowtown core. My gosh! Again! This just comes back to the fact that Chicago and NYC talk a big game about how every city should be different and have all this stuff. Well LA and Phoenix fit that bill, but yet they are dumps? Again, how does that make sense?

Old 09-21-2007, 09:06 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Have you been to the Northside of Chicago? It's stunning to go out of the Loop and into the neighborhoods of the Northside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarshield View Post
Why do the LA haters always bash because LA lacks a dowtown core.
Downtown Los Angeles has many historic buildings in it. That's the beauty of it. But I cannot believe that Los Angeles was not founded on the coast because it is way too hot that inland. That's why I liked Santa Monica, Century City and Beverly Hills. The cool ocean breeze that brings in the fresh 'L...A...' air can be felt in those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City