Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 06:53 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
Lol. 10 million people lives there, more than in any other city. How is that for afford ability? Lol
Its called rent control and inheritance lol. Calculate the ratio of avg housing cost and avg salary in NYC and you will see how it works out for new comers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 07:46 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Its called rent control and inheritance lol. Calculate the ratio of avg housing cost and avg salary in NYC and you will see how it works out for new comers

Sure. All 10 million of New Yorker live in rent controlled apartments and off inheritance. Lol
Truth is New York is the largest city, most densely populated and still growing. I guess some can still afford it... 10 million of them lol

Old 05-26-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Sure. All 10 million of New Yorker live in rent controlled apartments and off inheritance. Lol
Truth is New York is the largest city, most densely populated and still growing. I guess some can still afford it... 10 million of them lol
Oh so your saying none live in rent control or off an inherited property or how about one bought decades ago when it was more affordable. So NYC has no affordability issue is your position correct lol

Is there a poll that shows how happy NYC dwellers are to live in the "perfect city"?

Last edited by Johnhw2; 05-26-2012 at 08:16 PM..

Old 05-26-2012, 08:39 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Oh so your saying none live in rent control or off an inherited property or how about one bought decades ago when it was more affordable. So NYC has no affordability issue is your position correct lol

Is there a poll that shows how happy NYC dwellers are to live in the "perfect city"?
And how do you explain the BK dynamic.John you are very hard on the NE, fine, but dont try to make truths whre they dont exist. NYC is expensive but many many many people make it work, and the VAST majority without trust funds or rent controlled aptsNYC is expensive because it offers an environment hardly replicated in the world and not anywhere in the US, love it or hate it...

Old 05-26-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And how do you explain the BK dynamic.John you are very hard on the NE, fine, but dont try to make truths whre they dont exist. NYC is expensive but many many many people make it work, and the VAST majority without trust funds or rent controlled aptsNYC is expensive because it offers an environment hardly replicated in the world and not anywhere in the US, love it or hate it...
I've lived near there and have family living there for the last 41 years. What is it I made up? I am hard on someone who calls NYC the closest thing to a perfect city... I strongly disagree with that characterization. My family who lives there do so because its the only place other than London they can do what they do but its far from a city they call perfect or the nearst thing to perfect.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:07 PM

13 posts, read 25,569 times
Why do people flock there? Why is it the urban pulse of the free world? Why is it the most well known city on this planet? #justcurious

Quote:
I've lived near there and have family living there for the last 41 years. What is it I made up? I am hard on someone who calls NYC the closest thing to a perfect city... I strongly disagree with that characterization. My family who lives there do so because its the only place other than London they can do what they do but its far from a city they call perfect or the nearst thing to perfect.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:08 PM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
I would argue that I could enjoy just as much entertainment that suits my interests in DC as in NYC. I can enjoy symphony, festivals, museums, pro sports, etc. I would have access to all those things if I were in DC as opposed to NYC. Media & fashion, what does that even boil down to? So I can buy more articles of clothing straight off a fashion show runway, that's not anything I find particularly useful. There are the Broadway shows, sure, but it's not as if there is a lack of theater in DC. And to be honest, I even PREFER DC architecture to NYC architecture. I don't do the club scene, so the kind of nightlife I would enjoy, I would have just as much access to in DC (sportsbar sometimes, evening at the symphony sometimes, etc.)

And arguably I would have more biking enjoyment in the DC area than in the NYC area. At a point, sheer numbers of options simply becomes repetitive. Having 25 museums vs. 15 museums isn't the same thing as having 25 museums vs. 2 museums. I'm just saying it isn't as cut and dried as some might be quick to assume just based on sheer population.
Well, I'm not one to complain about DC. Having lived in the metro area for decades, I consider it to be a fine city and mostly recommend it - especially for families headed by college-educated couples. On top of a great economy and high-paying jobs, DC has top quality museums, historic sites, urban neighborhoods, public transportation, universities, nice suburban areas, ethnic diversity, parks, theme parks, beaches and mountains nearby.

For most people, DC is a more manageable long-term alternative to NYC, in my opinion. And it's only a 4-hour drive from NYC, which is another plus.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:58 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,796,043 times
Quote:

What is the percentage of rent controlled spots in the city? 1%? 2%

New York has no afford ability issue. Lol I am not aware of any apartment s being empty because of lack of tenants. Lol
Get it in your head: 10 million people chose to call NYC their home, more than twice more than in any other city. That's a huge vote of confidence.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:37 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,967,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25 North View Post
Why do people flock there?
Probably the same reason bugs eagerly flock to a big bright light with letters on the side that say "ZAP 'EM." But truth be told, flocking there isn't the entire story. There is a big story relating to retirees who flock away from there. As well as non-retirees who learn first hand what the phrase "cost of living" truly means.

Quote:
Why is it the urban pulse of the free world?
I think you may be confusing it with Tokyo. But many probably BELIEVE it is for the same reasons many believe that Americans are just so elevated in intelligence and skill when the reality is that we rank 25th in math scores among developed nations.

Quote:
Why is it the most well known city on this planet?
Probably widely know for two specific reasons: the UN is there and the financial center is there, both things which the average citizen isn't going to generally view as "funtime activity and entertainment." Ok, it's relentless appearance in cinema probably plays a big factor in that too.

Actually NYC is merely the largest scale benficiary of a nation-wide trend: the migration of the citizenry away from the more rural areas and to the more urban areas.

And by the way, arguably Paris is just as well known as NYC.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:54 AM

77 posts, read 149,380 times
Quote:
What is the percentage of rent controlled spots in the city? 1%? 2%

New York has no afford ability issue. Lol I am not aware of any apartment s being empty because of lack of tenants. Lol
Get it in your head: 10 million people chose to call NYC their home, more than twice more than in any other city. That's a huge vote of confidence.
Looks like 1.8% of units in NYC are rent controlled: Rent control in New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City