Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 10:40 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,482,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
Louisiana certainly has it's own distinct feel, culture, and cuisine. Particularly south Louisiana, but keep in mind that Louisiana isn't monolithic by any means. There's northern Louisiana, southern Louisiana, then New Orleans which is the truest anomaly even to the rest of the state.
You got it!

While southern Louisiana has it's distinctions, overall the state is not far from the rest of the deep south.

I've lived here long enough to absorb it's culture and I never feel out of place in Mississippi or Alabama. I do start to feel as though I stand out once I get into states like Kentucky or Virginia though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 10:55 AM

3,643 posts, read 10,688,315 times
Not at all. The culture seems too different.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:21 AM

268 posts, read 740,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Like this map but a few things.
That map shows a great understanding of the south. I think I would draw it similarly.

As the original post, nah, too different in nearly every way. The joie de vivre is singular
there. I have lived in NO place that can hold a candle to New Orleans. And I have lived
all over the south and visited many places in my 50 years. The rest of the state could be
Arkansas....but not Mississippi or Alabama. Louisiana people are far too different. In fact,
Mississippi and Alabama are staunch believers in that they are also un-lumpable. But as a
child of the bayou, I can only really speak for LA, though I have been in MS for 25 years.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:44 PM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
Mississippi and Alabama IMO, don't have as much in common as people assume. Oddly enough, they appear to face one another, but are in fact pulled in opposite directions in terms of influence. Montgomery is essentially Jackson's fraternal twin based on minor differences, but I think most would agree that Jackson is the better city overall.
True. I think Alabama is more like Georgia and SC and Mississippi is more like LA and western TN.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:39 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,245,372 times
The Piedmont South--and the eastern southern states in general--kind of has its own thing going on a bit. As someone else brought up, it's more British Colonial.

But the south is the south. There's New Orleans, and everything else is Mississippi. LOL

Old 05-22-2012, 11:13 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,685,101 times
Yes.

I would also lump in Texas, Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Kentucky, Florida, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and South Carolina.

Those are states you couldn't pay me $1 Million dollars to live in.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:27 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,936,319 times
Louisiana is like California and Texas: You can't really define it as a part of a region

Old 05-23-2012, 12:13 AM

14,727 posts, read 33,239,585 times
Since we can't break up the state, I would classify it in the same region. However, I know its history and culture are unique to Louisiana.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:34 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,844,570 times
Without gross overgeneralizing, please tell me why LA is so much different than GA, MS, and AL. I shared my minute experience in LA. I dug the hospitality! However, no one put roots on me. No one flashed their bosom. I didn't get any beads. Hyperbole? Yes!

I am asking about the state, not New Orleans.

Anyone who has driven through the southern part of Illinois, through Central Il., to Chicago, will tell you that there is Illinois, and there is Chicago. People are shocked that the state of Chicago, I mean Illinois, has cornfields! People are utterly dismayed that the state of Illinois does not grow skyscrapers. Am I really to believe that the whole of LA is is a big New Orleans? If that's the case, I digress.

Again, please tell me why LA is so much different than GA, MS, and AL. I reiterate: the farther one moves from a heavily populated area, the more quaint the people become. My experience has taught me that this is the case regardless of location in the U.S.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:03 AM

814 posts, read 1,464,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Without gross overgeneralizing, please tell me why LA is so much different than GA, MS, and AL. I shared my minute experience in LA. I dug the hospitality! However, no one put roots on me. No one flashed their bosom. I didn't get any beads. Hyperbole? Yes!

I am asking about the state, not New Orleans.

Anyone who has driven through the southern part of Illinois, through Central Il., to Chicago, will tell you that there is Illinois, and there is Chicago. People are shocked that the state of Chicago, I mean Illinois, has cornfields! People are utterly dismayed that the state of Illinois does not grow skyscrapers. Am I really to believe that the whole of LA is is a big New Orleans? If that's the case, I digress.

Again, please tell me why LA is so much different than GA, MS, and AL. I reiterate: the farther one moves from a heavily populated area, the more quaint the people become. My experience has taught me that this is the case regardless of location in the U.S.
It is all based off culture/history and if you mean culture-wise than I will explain some of the aspects for you. First off actually barely anybody has even mentioned New Orleans. North Louisiana is more stereotypically Southern than South Louisiana. South Louisiana for the most part is dominantly Catholic (rest of the South is Protestant) and this heavily influences the culture and the way of life (everybody knows how different the culture can be between Catholics and Protestants). Well even the whole state is influenced by Catholicism and the Governor and both Senators are Catholic (Lieutenant Governor is Jewish). There are even a good amount of Black people that are Catholic and a lot have French last names. French, Cajun, Creole, and somewhat Spanish cultures/heritages play a big part in the culture which is obviously distinct from the whole country. You know Cajun country, Acadiana, Zydeco music, and all. There are even other immigrant groups as well like the German Coast and Sicilians working on plantations for example(thanks to influences of New Orleans). There are some parishes and many towns where over 15% of the population speak French, Creole, or Cajun French. Then there is some people with Cajun accent which is not your stereotypical Southern accent. Many of your typical foods are eaten in this area like Crawfish, Jambalaya, and such. People living on bayous hunting alligators (well that might just be a stereotype). There is probably even more but I will stop there. This is all culture/history based and it is distinct from the rest of the country and adding New Orleans to the mix adds a whole other element.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City