Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 08:29 PM

148 posts, read 233,921 times

Advertisements

People tend to think of Mississippi and Alabama as the most backwards, redneck states in the country. On some levels, Louisiana is sometimes grouped in with these states, together marking the three true "deep South" states in the country (since Georgia has been taken over by Atlanta and is progressing quickly with loads of transplants). Other people tend to think of Louisiana as "it's own country," or as something of an anomaly in the South, not fitting in with "traditional" Southern culture.

I don't want anyone to think too much or to over-analyze this question; go with your gut. Do you consider Louisiana to belong to the same group as Mississippi and Alabama?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 08:38 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,856,674 times
As someone who has lived in Alabama, knowing that it isn't backwards like they say, who grew up in Arkansas which might almost be as backwards as they say (joke intended), who has always liked Mississippi for some reason... There is a sense that Louisiana, while similar, is certainly it's own thing.
So no, I don't really lump it in with those other than to say they're all deep south.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:41 PM

77 posts, read 346,968 times
I consider Louisiana its own thing mainly due to the unique Cajun culture and French influence that you just don't find other places in the south (with a few exceptions).

Old 05-20-2012, 08:45 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,438 times
No. Sometimes they are collectively deep south, but they are miles away from here. OTOH Texas is a scant 8 miles.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:45 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
LA is deep South, but I don't consider it quintessentially deep South in the way that I'd consider AL and MS to be since it's culturally unique.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:52 PM

85 posts, read 318,951 times
In my eyes, Louisiana might as well be it's own country. Tennessee and South Carolina both seem more akin to the "deep south" to me.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:05 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,594,300 times
I've been to Alabama by car and I found it to not feel as southern as the other states. At least around Birmingham and Tuscaloosa. Mississippi felt very rural with very little of anything modern (though there's more sprawl than I expected to see).

I haven't been to Louisiana, but I sorta assume it to be more swampy and humid.

So no, I don't really group the states together.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:48 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSouth88 View Post
People tend to think of Mississippi and Alabama as the most backwards, redneck states in the country. On some levels, Louisiana is sometimes grouped in with these states, together marking the three true "deep South" states in the country (since Georgia has been taken over by Atlanta and is progressing quickly with loads of transplants). Other people tend to think of Louisiana as "it's own country," or as something of an anomaly in the South, not fitting in with "traditional" Southern culture.

I don't want anyone to think too much or to over-analyze this question; go with your gut. Do you consider Louisiana to belong to the same group as Mississippi and Alabama?
Why ask? Please, define traditional southern culture. I think that I like southern culture. However, I'm not certain that I know what it is and is not.

I don't know anything about LA. I went to Ft. Polk in LA. for the Joint Readiness Training Center, when I was in the Army. The ladies in the mess hall certainly sounded "southern" to me "northern" ears. I was introduced to creamed beef and grits at Ft. Polk. If I could go there for breakfast everyday, I would! It was that good! The ladies serving the food were so nice. They couldn't care less about rank. Everybody was "baby." I've mentioned in another thread that I liked to be "sugared" and "honeyed" when I'm in an eatery. Is that "southern"?

As a child, I certainly had my fill of trips to MS. Star, MS, to be exact. Sitting under a shade tree, listening to my Pa Pa tell stories, while eating unprocessed peanuts or watermelon. Btw, peanuts are definitely a legume. Good times! Then, my cousins would finally come home and we would go to Jackson for put put golf, go carts, an arcade, or the zoo. For sure, we had a good time!

However, there was a rooster, that would stand outside of the window and sound off. He would do this every morning, without fail!

Funny thing is that my cousins accused my brother and I of speaking "proper".

I lived in Memphis for five years, as an adult. I love me some Memphis! Memphis has a great vibe.

I grew up watching kung fu & samurai flicks. However, weapons of the sort were illegal in IL. I can't describe my delight when I touched a Tai Chi and Ninja sword for the first time. The first time I laid eyes upon an authentic pair of nunchucks. I did this in Memphis at Dach Oriental Imports.

It was also in Memphis that a woman told me that she encourages her children not to speak w/ a southern accent. Her sentiment was similar to yours. I understood. However, I did not agree.

I live in GA now. I have an Atlanta address. However, we're in Chamblee or Tucker. We are in Dekalb county for sure. Has GA been taken over by Atlanta? Probably about as much as IL has taken over by Chicago. Believe me, there is a lot of IL outside of Chicago. I'd say that most of IL wants NOTHING to do w/ the city: Chicago.

Other than gassing up in Birmingham, I know nothing about AL. However, it did look and feel southern to me. That said, I dug what little I saw and felt.

The South: it is not a culturally homogeneous place. My experience has taught me that the further I got away from any heavily populated area, the more rustic, country, quaint, backwards, etc., the people and places became. The more they became fearful of outsiders. I'm commenting about the whole of the U.S.

Do I lump LA, MS, and AL? Yes. I would not exclude GA. I'll tell you this: I respect the hell out of the person who does not try to tone down his or her "southernness". The Neelys and Paula Deen come to mind.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:58 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
I've been to Alabama by car and I found it to not feel as southern as the other states. At least around Birmingham and Tuscaloosa.

Why's that?

Old 05-21-2012, 05:14 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
I've been to LA and MS. I'd say southern LA is a different world to northern LA. Northern LA is little different to Mississippi or Alabama - the classic 'deep south'. Very Conservative, Protestant.etc. Southern LA is of course it's own thing. Can't see how northern LA or LA in general is more like AL than MS though. LA, MS, AL and GA are similar outside of southern Louisiana and the Atlanta metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City