Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 02:44 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times

Advertisements

Neither, too expensive to be considered relaxing and fun to live in to me. Not a fan of either state's economy either so two major strikes against these two put them down the nice city to live list. To visit for a day they are ok, I prefer La Jolla weather and scenery to Coral Gables by a wide wide margin. I consider both areas fly over country, and wouldnt fly to them. But if I found myself in Southern Ca with some time on my hands Id go to LaJolla. If I found myself next door to Coral Gables I would go see it again. Be there done that.. excellent cuban food restaurants however so I might go for dinner at Yucca if its still in business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 02:55 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,969,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
I was thinking about nice coastal towns recently. These two came to my mind because I've been to both and they're both gorgeous IMO. Both cities are of high income and are centers for universities (UCSD in La Jolla and University of Miami in Coral Gables). Which one would you rather live in and why?
Having answered that question, I'd like to expand to a place I prefrer both of those, but that also meets the criteria- coastal town, high income, center for universities. I actually prefer Mailbu (Pepperdine University) to either LaJolla or Coral Gables.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:18 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Yes really. Annual precipitation numbers are readily availble. It is scientific fact.
What the **** does annual precipitation have to do with humidity? The answer is really nothing....

Quote:
LaJolla is 65 degrees and 47% humidity right now. Coral Gables is 83 degrees and 67% humidity right now. The difference is scientific. High temperature + high humidity = a miserable outdoor experience for a great many people, even enough people to determine ex-migration on a large scale. Confirmed fact.
You can't just take one day lmao. One day la jolla will have higher humidity the next day lower. you gotta look at the average:

la jolla, ca averages 80.5% humidity
La Jolla, CA Weather

miami, fl averages 72.63% humidity
Miami, FL Weather

So what you gotta say to that?

Quote:
High heat, high humidity misery is a well known phenomenon, and Coral Gables is well known to have it. Like I said, temperature and precipitation data is readily available. It's scientific, ie. confirmed fact. And even right now it feels better outside in LaJolla than in Coral Gables. 67 degrees, 47% humidity that I can walk and bike around in comfortably vs. 83 degrees, 67% humidity worrying about walking and getting jacked or biking and getting crushed by a car. Hmmm, let's see. I'd easily choose LaJolla, it's not even a close decision.

lol it really isn't bad at all. i doubt anyone moved away from the heat especially people with ac but i maybe wrong. I think it has to do with jobs (yes, a lot of retirees work because they're bored they also pick up checks), hurricanes, lower real estate, and maybe crime. though i'm pretty sure the bulk share of people moving from florida to the carolinas are young people searching for jobs.

83 is more comfortable than 67. Try being in 67 with a tee and shorts for a prolonged period of time (especially at night) and get back to me

Old 05-26-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
What the **** does annual precipitation have to do with humidity?
Already explained. The higher the annual precipitation, the higher the humidity. In order for water vapor TO precipitate out of the air in large quantities in the form of rain, there has to first be large concentrations OF water vapor in the air, and water vapor in the air is the source of humidity. Rain happens when the relative humidity is at 100%. The more rain, the more often the relative humidity is at 100%. Areas where the relative humidity frequently reaches 100% are areas where the relative humidity is also generally high at other times that it is not raining, just not 100%.

At the end of the day, Coral Gables is simply way more hot and humid that LaJolla, and the scientific data backs this up. This results in the air being hot and muggy. And lots of people have migrated out of that area BECAUSE of how hot and muggy it is. And in answering the OP's question, I chose LaJolla over Coral Gables in part because of how hot and muggy Coral Gables is. Others may like hot and muggy, I don't, so I chose as I chose for reasons that have basis in scientific fact.

Quote:
You can't just take one day lmao.
Dance around it all you want, I could take the next 120 days and the result would be the same- Coral Gables is WAY more hot and muggy than LaJolla. And the walkability/bikeability would still be the same 120 days from now as it is now. LaJolla wins.

Quote:
So what you gotta say to that?
I have to say that LaJolla summertimes have much lower humidity and rain that LaJolla winters, whereas Coral Gables summertimes have much higher humidity and rain than Coral Gables winters. With the higher summer rains, Coral Gables is at 100% humidity a LOT more in the summer than it is in the winter. Coral Gables has an average high temperature from June through Sept of 90 degrees. LaJolla has an average high temperature from June through Sept of 75 degrees. 90 degrees and CG AVERAGE humidity is muggy. 75 degrees and LJ AVERAGE humidity feels nice. 90 degrees and CG summertime humidity and CG summertime rainfall quantity equals muggy. 75 degrees and LJ summertime humidity and LJ summertime lack of rainfall quantity equals nice outside. So I have to say to that that LaJolla still wins, LoJolla still feels better outside, LaJolla is still nowhere near hot and muggy like Coral Gable is, so I still choose LaJolla.

Quote:
83 is more comfortable than 67. Try being in 67 with a tee and shorts for a prolonged period of time (especially at night) and get back to me
Been there, done that, 67 felt much better to me than 83, not even close. I still choose LaJolla.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Been there, done that, 67 felt much better to me than 83, not even close. I still choose LaJolla.
no you haven't cause you would have became hypothermic (without clothing you'd become hypothermic eventually even in 83) .

the rest of your post is bull****. la jolla is about as humid as miami during the summer except late summer/early fall when santa ana's blow and even then it isn't drastic.

rain does NOT correlate perfectly with humidity. Some of the highest humidity for la jolla is june when it doesn't rain at all (but does have fog).

stop arguing things you don't really understand lol

Old 05-26-2012, 03:58 PM

actually i had a closer look at the month by month charts i linked to

so my challenge is find a month in the summer when miami has higher humidity than la jolla. Then post the month and the humidity percentages for both. Go

Old 05-26-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
no you haven't
Yes I have been outside for a long period of time, actually during the day as well as at night, with a t shirt and shorts on at 67 degrees and I felt much better than when I was outside during 83 degree weather.

Quote:
cause you would have became hypothermic
No, and I didn't become hypothermic after spending hours outside with a t shirt and shorts on in 67 degree weather. I did, however, become uncomfortable in Coral Gables with the 90 degree heat and high humidity resulting in hot and muggy conditions when I spent a few minutes outside while on vacation.

Quote:
the rest of your post is bull****.
No, it's scientific fact. Rain happens at 100% humidity, LJ has much less rain in the summer than in the winter, CG has much more rain in the summer than in the winter, and CG has much higher high temperatures than LJ. That is scientific fact. And because of that fact, and the walkability/bikeability comparison, I prefer LaJolla to Coral Gables.

Quote:
rain does NOT correlate perfectly with humidity.
And I never said it correlated perfectly with humidity. I DID say that when it rains, it is because the water vapor conditions are at 100% humidity, and that is scientific fact. And I did say that Coral Gables is hotter and muggier than LaJolla, and that is fact as well. You may prefer Coral Gables, and that's fine, that's your preference. But I prefer LaJolla because Coral Gables is hot and muggy and LaJolla is not. If you take issue with my personal preferences, if you take issue with my preferring comfortable to hot and muggy, that's just your personal problem.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:55 PM

419 posts, read 998,740 times
Santa Barbara/Laguna Beach/Newport Beach/Palos Verdes > La Jolla

Coral Gables > La Jolla

La Jolla is nice as far as scenary, but what it has to offer compared to Coral Gables is not even close.

Much more going on in MIA than San Diego, San Diego is nice scenary and that's where it ends.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:00 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,400,554 times
I'd personally choose Coral Gables, although central Coral Gables is a few miles inland. I don't consider it coastal. If we're talking Miami, maybe Coconut Grove would be a better comparison?

Coral Gables is nice though. Plenty of shops and bars on Miracle Mile. It's quite upscale, but you can actually find affordable rents. Miami in general has the advantage of VERY clean air and a year round climate.

I generally have a soft spot for Miami and would choose it over most places in the US, so I guess I'm somewhat biased.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:04 PM

239 posts, read 509,354 times
Quote:
Having answered that question, I'd like to expand to a place I prefrer both of those, but that also meets the criteria- coastal town, high income, center for universities. I actually prefer Mailbu (Pepperdine University) to either LaJolla or Coral Gables.
Malibu is an interesting comparison. I guess I should have realized that La Jolla is a town in San Diego while Coral Gables is an actual city. I was thinking of Coral Gables vs. Malibu actually but I never been to Malibu so I don't know how they really compare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City