Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 11:00 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
No, you're lying. I never said that. I don't like downtown Chicago because it is too sterile, bland, antiseptic, and predictable. It lacks the eclectic, funky grit you find in other downtowns. It has very, very little in the way of nudey bars, adult book/video stores, head shops, massage parlours, indy record stores that still sell vinyl and DJ equipment, poster stores, 24-hour cybercafes, indy bookstores, army surplus stores, hole-in-the-wall 24-hour greasy spoon diners, independent vintage clothing stores, Chinese restaurants open until 3am or later 7 nights a week, and even food carts (that last one was particularly puzzling). You know, the kind of eclectic, colourful character that makes a place interesting to visit. Downtown Chicago is all about national/international chains that can be found in any major city or suburban mall.

Downtown Chicago does have plenty of great skyscraper architecture. But you can only stare at a building for 2-3 minutes before that gets boring. The fact that a McDonald's location is considered one of downtown Chicago's "attractions" says it all.

I want even mention the murder rate. Oftentimes clean and sterile downtowns are associated with very safe cities with very low violent crime/murder rates. Such is not the case with Chicago. The city has over 200 murders already this year!
You seem bitter. Beyond that, it sounds like you've never stepped foot outside the Michigan Ave., Adams, Franklin, Wacker boundary. You really don't seem to know Chicago very well. Did you pass through for one day. That seems like the knowledge you have. Or, did you have a very hard time in Chicago which may explain your negativity and tunnel vision?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 01:01 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Trimac...you've never been to Chicago..you said it a few posts ago. Why are you making these ridiculous claims to a city you have never been to?
Because he's Trimac20, he goes around making these ridiculous claims about every single city whether he's been to them, driven through them ( without stopping), or never been. I live in NYC and Chicago is my second favorite city (maybe tie with SF) and my standards are much higher than Trimac's so that's saying something of Chicago.

He's been throwing around his irrational generalizations for over 3 years now.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:47 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
I started this thread to ask whether one thinks Toronto is similar to Chicago or Philadelphia. There is no point in bringing in New York City and Los Angeles in it at all.

If one has no idea what Toronto is like, there is no point in participating in the discussion. There are plenty of other posts where you can argue about Chicago vs New York or LA.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:17 PM

69 posts, read 102,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
You seem bitter. Beyond that, it sounds like you've never stepped foot outside the Michigan Ave., Adams, Franklin, Wacker boundary. You really don't seem to know Chicago very well. Did you pass through for one day. That seems like the knowledge you have. Or, did you have a very hard time in Chicago which may explain your negativity and tunnel vision?
Wrong. I'm including the "Magnificent Mile" in my description. Don't get me wrong, the Magnificent Mile is excellent for what it is - a high-end shopping district. Every major city's downtown should have an area like the Magnificent Mile. But it's not adding a colourful, funky, slightly-worn eclecticism to the downtown. That's not the job of the high-end shopping district. My problem is downtown Chicago doesn't have the areas that do add what I describe.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:19 PM

69 posts, read 102,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
The Loop is mostly a place for people to work, with a few exceptions (theater district, Millenium Park, the library, etc.). This upsets you greatly for some reason, but you could have found all that other stuff (wow, head shops! how interesting!) in Chicago if you had actually looked. May I recommend getting a map next time?
Nice try pal, but I wasn't including just the Loop. I was including all the way to the north end of N. Michigan Avenue. That's as far as downtown Chicago stretches to the North. Nowhere did I say I was talking about the Loop alone.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:37 PM

422 posts, read 815,395 times
Having been to and/or lived in all three, here is my assessment.

Toronto = Cleaner version of Philadelphia; Smaller version of Chicago. If it were in the states, I believe it would be the only city that would conceivably compete with NYC on urbanity, skyline, streetscape, culture, etc.

* I didn't say win! I said "compete".

Old 05-31-2012, 06:13 PM

362 posts, read 665,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
No, you're lying. I never said that. I don't like downtown Chicago because it is too sterile, bland, antiseptic, and predictable. It lacks the eclectic, funky grit you find in other downtowns. It has very, very little in the way of nudey bars, adult book/video stores, head shops, massage parlours, indy record stores that still sell vinyl and DJ equipment, poster stores, 24-hour cybercafes, indy bookstores, army surplus stores, hole-in-the-wall 24-hour greasy spoon diners, independent vintage clothing stores, Chinese restaurants open until 3am or later 7 nights a week, and even food carts (that last one was particularly puzzling). You know, the kind of eclectic, colourful character that makes a place interesting to visit. Downtown Chicago is all about national/international chains that can be found in any major city or suburban mall.

Downtown Chicago does have plenty of great skyscraper architecture. But you can only stare at a building for 2-3 minutes before that gets boring. The fact that a McDonald's location is considered one of downtown Chicago's "attractions" says it all.

I want even mention the murder rate. Oftentimes clean and sterile downtowns
are associated with very safe cities with very low violent crime/murder rates. Such is not the case with Chicago. The city has over 200 murders already this year!

Well I'm not lying since I am simply repeating what you said(maybe you she proof read your post). And you sound like a desperate homer posting irrelevant things about your city that no one single person on this forum cares about. Its actually pretty funnu.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:33 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK MA NO HANDS View Post
Well I'm not lying since I am simply repeating what you said(maybe you she proof read your post). And you sound like a desperate homer posting irrelevant things about your city that no one single person on this forum cares about. Its actually pretty funnu.
This is Queen street west - the busiest commercial street in Toronto. Toronto's retail streets are dominated by small stores like this

Google Maps

This is a busy section of Yonge st - the most important commercial drag in Toronto. The main subway lines runs underneath it

Google Maps

I think he likes all these, but I don't think this is what the downtown core of a large city with 2.8M people should look like. I would want them gone and be replaced with beautiful architectures.

This is Bloor/Yorkville area, Toronto's "Magnificent Mile". It is actually 400 meters long. Supposedly the most posh area in town, not too bad, but I don't think it is comparable to Michigan Ave. Not even close.

Google Maps

This is essentially why I think Toronto as a similar size city, is actually far behind Chicago in terms of wealth, beauty, architecture and planning and probably is at par with Philadelphia.

Last edited by botticelli; 05-31-2012 at 07:42 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 06:48 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
This is Queen street west - the busiest commercial street in Toronto. Toronto's retail streets are dominated by small stores like this

Google Maps

This is a busy section of Yonge st - the most important commercial drag in Toronto. The main subway lines runs underneath it

Google Maps

I think he likes all these, but I don't think this is what the downtown core of a large city with 2.8M people should look like. I would want them gone and be replaced with beautiful architectures.

This is Bloor/Yorkville area, Toronto's "Magnificent Mile". It is actually 400 meters long. Supposedly the most posh area in town, not too bad, but I don't think it is comparable to Michigan Ave. Not even close.

Google Maps

This is essentially why I don't think Toronto as a similar size city, is actually far behind Chicago in terms of wealth, beauty, architecture and planning and probably is at par with Philadelphia.
Few people except for Toronto homers put Toronto on Chicago's level in terms of anything. In Toronto's defense though it is not actually similar size to Chicago, as you suggest. Yes, they have similar populations within city limits, but that's a pretty meaningless statistic. (Within city limits they are both bigger than Paris.) The more meaningful figure is urban area population where Chicago has roughly 4 million more people. For its size Toronto is doing very well. But simply as a function of size it is more on Philly's level IMO than Chicago's.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:56 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
Different people, different neighborhoods, and unique identities unto themselves.
Could argue that about any city. Sure 'every city is unique' in the technical sense, but like in Animal Farm, some cities are just far more unique than others!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City