Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:23 AM

7 posts, read 15,963 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm from Vietnam and I'm planning to go and study abroad in USA. I think I will go to study from High school. I just have a research and now I have to decide in 1 of these 3 places. Although Florida is a good place but I heard something about the climate too, like hurricanes or humid weather. Florida weather is generally not as good as in California, is that true? After all, I care most about Cali and Maryland. I really wanted to know about EVERYTHING about these 3 places, pros and cons, life, education, entertainment, community, girls/boys, social problems like fighting, killing, etc... And also, because I'm a type of person that LOVES freedom, so I hope to study in a state which doesn't require much rules and kind of easy to lack. So if you have any information, please reply, I don't have much time so I have to decide fast. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 08:28 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Xin chao!

I assume you want to escape the heat and humidity of Vietnam?

The three states are so diverse so obviously it would depend greatly on where in each state you go.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:37 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploidboy View Post
Hello! I'm from Vietnam and I'm planning to go and study abroad in USA. I think I will go to study from High school. I just have a research and now I have to decide in 1 of these 3 places. Although Florida is a good place but I heard something about the climate too, like hurricanes or humid weather. Florida weather is generally not as good as in California, is that true? After all, I care most about Cali and Maryland. I really wanted to know about EVERYTHING about these 3 places, pros and cons, life, education, entertainment, community, girls/boys, social problems like fighting, killing, etc... And also, because I'm a type of person that LOVES freedom, so I hope to study in a state which doesn't require much rules and kind of easy to lack. So if you have any information, please reply, I don't have much time so I have to decide fast. Thank you!
I live in Maryland and have been to California and Florida a few times. They're all good states but pretty different.

In fact, they differ considerably within each state itself. Which cities are you interested in specifically?

Old 05-31-2012, 08:57 AM

Well, I like all of them but I only can choose one. But I'm the type of Freedom people so I would like a place where things go kind of easy. Some of the people said I should go to California or Florida because they're much easier than the East Coast. From the rules, weather, people, nearly all of the things are better than Maryland. They said that but I'm not sure either. Any ideas?

Old 05-31-2012, 09:06 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploidboy View Post
Well, I like all of them but I only can choose one. But I'm the type of Freedom people so I would like a place where things go kind of easy. Some of the people said I should go to California or Florida because they're much easier than the East Coast. From the rules, weather, people, nearly all of the things are better than Maryland. They said that but I'm not sure either. Any ideas?
There's "freedom" everywhere you go in the U.S. LOL. That's pretty subjective and depends on your political views and personal comfort level.

I think you're saying you want to be in a state with a more laid-back pace of life and warmer climate. To that, I agree that California (the southern part of the coast especially) and Florida are preferable to Maryland in those respects, generally speaking. But as with most places, the cities and surrounding areas tend to have a faster pace than places that are farther out. Maryland is faster paced mainly because it is more densely populated than California or Florida. The stretch from Washington, D.C. to New York City is the most densely populated in the U.S.

It sounds to me like you want to be in California.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 05-31-2012 at 09:19 AM..

Old 05-31-2012, 09:16 AM

That would be great. So do you know anything about Cali? I want to know as much as I could. About the people, life, education, pros and cons,... Thanks!

Old 05-31-2012, 01:08 PM

886 posts, read 1,564,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Xin chao!

I assume you want to escape the heat and humidity of Vietnam?

The three states are so diverse so obviously it would depend greatly on where in each state you go.
Do you think this is a joke?

STOP giving advice to people moving into the states, you've never lived here to know what America is like. Taking your cute little tour from a bus across the country doesn't qualify you for this. Sorry

Old 05-31-2012, 01:49 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,675,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
Do you think this is a joke?

STOP giving advice to people moving into the states, you've never lived here to know what America is like. Taking your cute little tour from a bus across the country doesn't qualify you for this. Sorry
While it seems you have past issues with this poster, what he said here isn't wrong...

Old 05-31-2012, 02:35 PM

886 posts, read 1,564,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
While it seems you have past issues with this poster, what he said here isn't wrong...
I don't have issues with John. I have issues with his generalizations. Look I can be sarcastic and joke around sometimes but I don't mess around with relocation threads, these are REAL people asking for real advice on where they and their family can potentially live. John on the other hand spends all day talking about our country as if he's lived here, voted, paid taxes, worked here, attended school here, dated here, looked for jobs here, experienced year round climate, culture, and these other basic things when he's only seen our country for a month. Not only that but through a tour bus, many places he just drove through.

John has no place in this thread. Why he feels that he belongs in this discussion is beyond me. He kept it short and simple this time (surprisingly) but he rarely ever does.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:09 AM

What's happening here? I don't understand. Anyway, can you help me out please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City