Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: House in the Hills or on the Water
Hollywood Hills 73 61.86%
Waterfront in Miami 45 38.14%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 03:37 PM

18,977 posts, read 32,544,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
It's rare seeing a native Californian pick a city across the country over one of their own. I know this is a generalization but you're a known defender of LA so it surprised me you picked Miami over it. Any reason for your choice? Is it because of the water temperature and less big city hassles in Miami compared to LA?
I'll defend LA and other CA cities when people misrepresent and exaggerate its flaws, focus on stereotypes, lie, exhibit double standards, etc. but I'll also call out flaws and will recognize the bad things about CA and its cities. I'm not a homer, honestly I think a lot of people overrate CA but plenty of people unfairly bash it too.

I'm tired of CA but its home and I am proud to be from here but I would gladly move to other parts of the country and experience something new. CA is not the ideal place for me personally with my preferences.

Miami is definitely one of the top cities I would like to live in. A lot of it has to do with the beaches and weather. I like how Florida's coastal cities have a much more ocean oriented lifestyle as there is better and cheaper access to it there. I just love the water and ocean overall and Miami is a great city for it, better than LA IMO. I would kill to be able to just hop on a jet ski in my backyard and zip around Biscayne Bay and the Atlantic and be able to have a view of the city's skyline while I'm doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 03:42 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,533,931 times
When the tsunami and/or hurricane comes, I'll take the Hollywood Hills.

That said, I really like both places and would live in a waterfront Miami home in a heartbeat.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:05 PM

430 posts, read 1,648,440 times
Hurricanes are no where near as bad as Earth Quakes

Since hurricane andrew in 94 building codes are extremly strict

anybody who believes a hurricane is worst than a earth quake is fool

you can predict hurricanes in advance, and also they are just tropical storms

whereas earthquakes, no prediction, no safety, and nothing you can do, no thanks

Los Angeles = Over Crowded, Over polluted, Overly Expensive , Overhyped, Not as Diverse, Too many Homosexuals dominating that area, and too much driving to get anywhere.

A mansion in hollywood hills , just to see the smog taking over the entire city of LA.. just beautiful....................

Old 05-31-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post

Since hurricane andrew in 94 building codes are extremly strict

anybody who believes a hurricane is worst than a earth quake is fool

you can predict hurricanes in advance, and also they are just tropical storms

whereas earthquakes, no prediction, no safety, and nothing you can do, no thanks

Los Angeles = Over Crowded, Over polluted, Overly Expensive , Overhyped, Not as Diverse, Too many Homosexuals dominating that area, and too much driving to get anywhere.
I'll ignore your homophobia for a moment to note that hurricanes have killed far more people in the US than earthquakes have, even in the age where hurricanes can be predicted much farther in the future.

And if you think there are not building codes to help withstand earthquakes, it is YOU that is the fool.

By the way "earthquake" is one word.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:13 PM

430 posts, read 1,648,440 times
Again, you are a fool if you think Hurricanes are worst than Earth Quakes

I'll enjoy my 3 day tropical storm, while the ground swallows you all up, have fun!

Old 05-31-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Again, you are a fool if you think Hurricanes are worst than Earth Quakes

I'll enjoy my 3 day tropical storm, while the ground swallows you all up, have fun!
I bow to your superior logic (and grammar).

Old 05-31-2012, 05:34 PM

18,977 posts, read 32,544,540 times
Quote:
They cause far more damage, cause far more deaths, and are far more common than earthquakes in the US. I wouldn't say one is better than the other but you're trying to down play hurricanes.
Quote:
We all know you've actually never even been to South Florida or Southern Ca, you base all of this on the internet. If you had ever been to South Beach you would know it can be pretty gay too. You'll get quite an eye full on certain sections of that beach, way more than anything you'd see in public in LA.

Also, curious how you expect to get around Miami? Bus?

Old 05-31-2012, 07:41 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,981,807 times
Both are great, I might have to pick hollywood hills because it is different than where I live now. Homes p there are nice. But a Miami waterfront home is just awesome. Especially if you have a view of downtown or just ocean.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:21 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,709,053 times
I love boats and water, but there's no way I'd ever live in Miami, because of the climate. Of course, if I were wealthy enough to afford a house like that, I guess I could set the air conditioning to 65 degrees and only leave the house at night in the winter, but that's no way to live.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:26 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,890,217 times
Miami waterfront property for me. I could step on my boat and literaly catch a large Tarpon, Redfish, or Snook in my backyard. Hollywood Hills are okay, but I prefer Miami's waterfront more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City