U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 06:00 PM

374 posts, read 1,720,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
4. Houston

I'm sorry San Francisco dropped to #5 because of that earthquake in 1906 that gave the "Premier city in the West" title to Los Angeles. Each of the four cities represents each of the four regions of the United States. The Western United States has already been taken. Sorry! Better luck next time. Oh wait, what next time?
You're crazy if you think Houston has anything on San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Talking about celebrity, let's all congratulate NY for having Mahmoud Ahmadinejad over at Columbia, turning him into a rock star and promoting him as just another NY story, while hiding that promotion under the gise of outrage over his being there in the first place. You can see the pleasure of outrage all over the faces of everyone out in the street, searching for the nearest camera. Now, that's fake! Reminded me of when John Kennedy Jr. died and the residents of his NY neighborhood ran around looking for the nearest cameras, screaming, "He was one of us! He was one of us!" Actual quote. Now these things are the most fun of NY.
Here we go again. I say good for Columbia. Ever heard of freedom of speech? Furthermore, his appearance presented students at Columbia with an amazing opportunity to hear a world leader, who appears to be against our way of life, speak.

Lastly, please remember - not everything you hear (or don't hear) from the U.S. media is truth.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:09 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,897,300 times
Even if this were a "freedom of speech" issue (it isn't), forgive me if I'm not terribly sympathetic to Mahmoud I'mInaJihad's assertion of that right.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:25 PM

20,005 posts, read 68,012,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Mahmoud I'mInaJihad's
Where on earth, er, how on earth do you come up with this stuff? hahaha Thats funny stuff right there.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Even if this were a "freedom of speech" issue (it isn't), forgive me if I'm not terribly sympathetic to Mahmoud I'mInaJihad's assertion of that right.
I think we should veer away from this topic...

Old 09-25-2007, 08:04 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,615,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
Is the City-Data Forum really "anti-Houston" or anything in Texas?
It was mostly a joke, but both Texas and Houston are not very popular on this site.

Quote:
The only times I read anti-Houston stuff is when a Houstonite (or is it Houstonian?) makes an outrageous comment or declares Houston to be something that is so purely subjective.

Like Houston being the #4 city after NYC, LA, and Chicago. Is it really? It's been said by posters from Houston in the past. How do you know?
But shouldn't someone be allowed to feel that way? Most posters who have suggested that Houston was the fourth city had reasonable evidence and/or statistics to support that theory. Still, despite them carrying their opinion so responsibly, they were still bashed.

Saying Houston is the fourth city is not as far fetched as you might believe, seeing as how the only official ranking of U.S. cities, thus far, is population...in which Houston in fact ranks fourth.

Quote:
I don't see posters from San Francisco, Boston, DC, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Atlanta, or other cities claiming that their city is #4.
Maybe none of their members have spoken up, but I guarantee you that there are some citizens in their cities that feel as such.

Quote:
I know that there are many misconceptions about Houston, and Texas in general, but claiming to be the #4 city or saying that Houston is better than your city doesn't really change any of them.
I couldn't agree with you more, but I think we can both agree that people should be able to say Houston or any other city is better than another without being attacked.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:07 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,615,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
Oh, so San Francisco at #4 is perfectly fine, but Houston at #4 is crazy people talk?

Old 09-25-2007, 08:23 PM

4,383 posts, read 15,049,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
he/she's not crazy. Its Called an oooopppppppppiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiioooo onnn. I slowed it down for you if you didn't know what it is

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Old 09-25-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Oh, so San Francisco at #4 is perfectly fine, but Houston at #4 is crazy people talk?
Absolutely. Heck, Houston at #10 or #15 is crazy talk.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
he/she's not crazy. Its Called an oooopppppppppiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiioooo onnn. I slowed it down for you if you didn't know what it is

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Now let me slow it down for you, in case you don't understand - it's called an opinion. And, I am entitled to MY opinion, and MY opinion is that Houston has little to offer, is almost completely void of any character, and although it is the 4th largest city in the US, in my opinion (key phrase right there), it's not even close to being in the top 10 in terms of desirable US cities.

And yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but any person who is being unbiased would simply not even attempt to state that Houston has anything on San Francisco, or Seattle, or D.C., or Boston, or Philly, or Austin, or Miami, or San Diego....should I go on?

Nearly everything said on these forums is an opinion...not sure why you failed to recognize that I was stating an opinion, yet you recognized the poster I was replying to was. Not much sense in that.

Last edited by beone; 09-25-2007 at 08:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or