Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is overall better?
Montreal, QC 180 59.60%
San Francisco, CA 122 40.40%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 07:41 PM

26,871 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Quoting a Forbes list as proof? OK...

Old 02-14-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Sorry but the whole hairy pits thing just grosses me out too much to accept anymore of your hollow bragging and failed attempts at snobbery...this is like a pauper bragging to Bill Gates about having 20 dollars.

For the record shaving of armpits and legs for women is pretty much a generalized practice in France now.

Not saying you did but dumb comments about Montreal and unshaved female armpits are just that... dumb. Anyone who used that diss knows nothing about the city... or much else perhaps.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times
Lol i love the intense *who dresses better argument* going on. Miami has you both beat in that category btw.

I'm torn between location, Montreal is by New England, Quebec City, bunch of lakes and rivers. San Francisco is by a ocean and mountains but no large cities close by compared to Montreal. you have Los Angeles 5 hours away.

5 hours from Montreal you could be in Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec City, Boston.... add one more hour and you could be in New York.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:21 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I'm torn between location, Montreal is by New England, Quebec City, bunch of lakes and rivers. San Francisco is by a ocean and mountains but no large cities close by compared to Montreal. you have Los Angeles 5 hours away.

5 hours from Montreal you could be in Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec City, Boston.... add one more hour and you could be in New York.
Sacramento, Oakland and San Jose don't register but you go listing Ottawa and Quebec?

Old 02-15-2013, 12:44 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Sacramento, Oakland and San Jose don't register but you go listing Ottawa and Quebec?
Oakland and San Jose are part of the same metro though (and visiting San Jose is not that great of a time). Sacramento seems more reasonable and it is fun.

I think Ottawa is probably a bit dull, but Quebec City despite being a bit small is definitely a great urban attraction.

Anyhow, I think his point does stand as Toronto is a much larger and very different city/metro as is Boston. Having the ability to travel easily, quickly and fairly cheaply by rail through the Quebec City-Windsor corridor is also pretty nice to have. Except where he gave pretty short mention of LA and NYC.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 02-15-2013 at 01:15 PM..

Old 02-15-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Oakland and San Jose are part of the same metro though (and visiting San Jose is not that great of a time). Sacramento seems more reasonable and it is fun.

I think Ottawa is probably a bit dull, but Quebec City despite being a bit small is definitely a great urban attraction.

Anyhow, I think his point does stand as Toronto is a much larger and very different city/metro as is Boston. Having the ability to travel easily, quickly and fairly cheaply by rail through the Quebec City-Windsor corridor is also pretty nice to have. Except where he gave pretty short mention of LA and NYC.
Ottawa is not as exciting as Montreal or Toronto, but it's probably a more interesting urban destination than Sacramento:

Living In The By Ward Market.mov - YouTube

Old 02-15-2013, 02:07 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Ottawa is not as exciting as Montreal or Toronto, but it's probably a more interesting urban destination than Sacramento.
Well, it sort of should be--it's a national capital for chrissakes...

But I mean some peopele consider it to be one of those places like Brasillia or Canberra, that's the capital of a country yet overshadowed by all the more interesting and larger cities in the country. Though you can say the same thing for a lot of state capitals in the US--like say Albany or Sacramento...

Old 02-17-2013, 03:34 PM

411 posts, read 719,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayloh View Post
Quality of life:
Crime:
Stores/Shopping:
School/College:
Entertainment/Things to do:
Diversity:
Economy:
Culture:
Food:
History:
Overall beauty:

Where would you rather live?
Where would you rather visit as first timer?
Climate: SF by far
QOL: SF, though it costs money
Crime: both are pretty low
Stores: SF
School/College: SF, McGill is falling apart while SF has Stanford, Berkeley, and UCSF
Entertainment: draw
Diversity: SF
Economy: SF by far, Montreal/Quebec has high unemployment, low incomes
Culture: subjective, draw
Food: SF
History: draw
Overall beauty: SF

SF and it's really not close. Not sure how this is even a question and why all these ppl have voted Montreal

Old 02-17-2013, 03:41 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Actually I was in Ottawa several years ago and I was impressed with it. It definitely is no Toronto or Montreal but it's certainly not a snoozefest like San Jose and Sacramento seemed to be when I visited those cities.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:49 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,860,485 times
lol - I'm not sure if you've been to Montreal.. I've been to both and on paper both have criteria where one is stronger than the other but Montreal has a vibe and fun factor that is hard to quantify other than to say it is an exciting place! It has to do with the French work to live rather than live to work mentality.... joie de vivre! Plus it is a beautiful city with wonderful architecture. S.F is a great city as well but this isn't S.F against Winnipeg here so I can totally see why this would be a close matchup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkup View Post
Climate: SF by far
QOL: SF, though it costs money
Crime: both are pretty low
Stores: SF
School/College: SF, McGill is falling apart while SF has Stanford, Berkeley, and UCSF
Entertainment: draw
Diversity: SF
Economy: SF by far, Montreal/Quebec has high unemployment, low incomes
Culture: subjective, draw
Food: SF
History: draw
Overall beauty: SF

SF and it's really not close. Not sure how this is even a question and why all these ppl have voted Montreal

Last edited by fusion2; 02-17-2013 at 04:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City