Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is overall better?
Montreal, QC 180 59.60%
San Francisco, CA 122 40.40%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 12:12 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You got me interested in this, so I decided to take a look around to see if either your views are skewed or if mine are. So I tried to look up various reports. Here's one from a pretty big market researcher with Singapore at number 2, HK at number 1 (and that is understandably without counting people from PRC as international visitors, but not sure about Taiwan) and San Francisco at number 44. Here's another one by Mastercard with Singapore at number 4 and San Francisco unranked (they list up to 20). Now, if we stopped counting Asians as people though, the numbers change dramatically.
As far as places people actually enjoy visiting, San Franscisco routinely crushes Hong Kong and Singapore( and London and Tokyo btw)in actual surveys and polls done by Conde Nast and Travel + Leisure

San Francisco is usually up there with Paris, New York, Bangkok and Sydney as the cities people rate highest as their favored destination.

I usually dont see Montreal rate as high as SF either.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:21 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
As far as places people actually enjoy visiting, San Franscisco routinely crushes Hong Kong and Singapore( and London and Tokyo btw)in actual surveys and polls done by Conde Nast and Travel + Leisure

San Francisco is usually up there with Paris, New York, Bangkok and Sydney as the cities people rate highest as their favored destination.

I usually dont see Montreal rate as high as SF either.
Sounds pretty good. SF is definitely higher up for me as a place for leisure. Going to a city as dense and busy as the ones mentioned definitely aren't my idea of leisure though in terms of having fun (and not relaxing) I'd put most of those cities above SF save for Singapore which I'm not that into. Like I said, there's tourism of a lot of different kinds--I was being explicit on that. The only thing I would add in though is whether or not those Conde Nast and Travel + Leisure polls might be based in the US or even exclusive to the US, as that might change things a bit especially as we're talking about international visitors overall and not US visitors to destinations including international ones.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:00 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Parts of Montreal looks like France/Europe, particularly in Old Town section. However, Montreal in general looks more North American due to large and wide roads, American road signs, large houses, skyscrapers, American stores, large portions, large cars, etc.
However, Montreal is the most European city in North America without doubt in terms of language and culture.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jews for Jesus again.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:17 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
Why does Old Town "look like France"? Have you been to France?

The old part of Montreal looks like this:

http://goo.gl/maps/tRKn2

Your call...

Old 08-28-2013, 01:26 PM

If anything, the most similar-looking US city to Montreal might actually be Philadelphia:

http://goo.gl/maps/SbeHO

Then again, much of Montreal just looks like Montreal:

http://goo.gl/maps/IN5sf

Old 08-28-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If anything, the most similar-looking US city to Montreal might actually be Philadelphia:

http://goo.gl/maps/SbeHO

Then again, much of Montreal just looks like Montreal:

http://goo.gl/maps/IN5sf
Cool city, bro.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:38 PM

Regarding Europe also, not all of Europe looks like the Grand Canal in Venice.

Europe also looks like this:

http://goo.gl/maps/WX7YO

http://goo.gl/maps/fE6Jg

http://goo.gl/maps/777ew

Old 08-28-2013, 02:29 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,880,570 times
Quote:
Why does Old Town "look like France"? Have you been to France?
Yes I have numerous times. I am originally from Europe myself.

Old Town looks much much more European than North American by far. Everything from the old and historic building, to the narrow brick streets. Google and you will see! Have you been to Montreal? Doesn't seem like it.

Now, Quebec City is even more European look than Montreal.

Quote:
How so? Last I checked, the main languages in North America are English, Spanish and French, all of which are commonly spoken in Europe.
When people refer to "North America" particularly in the U.S. and Canada, we simply refer to only both of those countries and exclude Central America / Caribbean countries even though they are technically North American continent. North America is more like a region consisting of the USA and Canada in daily speech.

Quote:
And I can think of dozens of historic cities in North America that look more European. Ever been to Guanajuato, San Miguel de Allende, Morelia, or Quebec City? Mexico alone has a ton of cities. You would have to be deranged to think Montreal looks more French than Guanajuato looks Spanish.
Again, see above what we mean about "North America". There was a poll here on C-D asking what they think of when hearing "North America" and majority of voters said "USA and Canada" only.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Yes I have numerous times. I am originally from Europe myself.

Old Town looks much much more European than North American by far. Everything from the old and historic building, to the narrow brick streets. Google and you will see! Have you been to Montreal? Doesn't seem like it.

Now, Quebec City is even more European look than Montreal.

When people refer to "North America" particularly in the U.S. and Canada, we simply refer to only both of those countries and exclude Central America / Caribbean countries even though they are technically North American continent. North America is more like a region consisting of the USA and Canada in daily speech.

Again, see above what we mean about "North America". There was a poll here on C-D asking what they think of when hearing "North America" and majority of voters said "USA and Canada" only.
I think the more appropriate term these days for just US and Canada is Northern America rather than North America in order to disambiguate from the more general term North America which covers the entire continent (or subcontinent depending on where you're from).

Old 08-28-2013, 04:37 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,013,445 times
Quote:
Blah blah nonsense. Montreal has MUCH better climate than SF. SF has cool and foggy weather year-round. Cost of living is very high and the city itself is boring and unrecognized besides Golden Gate bridge. Nice landscape, but big deal. Montreal feels French and more beautiful.
You hjave never lived in San Francisco obviously. Its not foggy all year. July and August are the foggies months.. we can get brilliant sunshine in October/November. I spent American thanksgiving in Montreal on year.. snow flakes and bitter cold. I'll take SF anyway, weather wise. and they do not get hot humid days.

Even in July/August all you have tod o is go to Oakland and the sun will be out shining. I was just there.. everyday it was sunny in Oakland..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City