Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is overall better?
Montreal, QC 180 59.60%
San Francisco, CA 122 40.40%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 02:55 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Oh there are definitely pockets of SF outside of downtown that are tough to find parking. But I still find Montreal to be a tougher city to park in (on the street). I guess it's just that my points of comparison are Boston, New York and Washington DC. San Francisco is far easier to find street parking than in those cities. My girlfriend lived off of Geary (near Masonic) in Laurel Heights. I never ever had trouble finding a spot within a block of her apartment. In a comparable area in Montreal it's typically much harder (again, based on my experiences).
Definitely late in responding here. But, again, I've got to disagree - I think that, aside from a few areas, finding parking in San Francisco is pretty tough across the board. There are exceptions such like Laurel Heights/Presido and a few others, but saying it's only pockets where parking is difficult to find is not accurate from my experience. The entire area North of Market and East of Divisadero (a large swath of the City) is very difficult to find parking, as is everywhere from Mission to Haight (including the Castro), l.

From my experience, SF is worse than DC and on par with Boston (Boston also has some outlying areas where parking is notably easier).

Old 09-02-2013, 07:52 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,880,436 times
Montreal has no free parking on Sundays & Holidays unlike most other American cities

Old 09-02-2013, 01:31 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Sf people seem mad that a city is finally beating them for once that isn't NYC lol.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:09 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Sf people seem mad that a city is finally beating them for once that isn't NYC lol.
What can you do? It's Montreal. I'm of the opinion that most people who have been to both, would probably like Montreal more. It seems to be bearing itself out in the polls, but of course. Not that it matters, of course. However, if some of the boosters for one city or another get annoying enough on the board, I'm pretty sure it directly influences the polls to side with the other option.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:00 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oy Crumbler
What can you do? It's Montreal. I'm of the opinion
that most people who have been to both, would
probably like Montreal more. It seems to be bearing
itself out in the polls, but of course.
hahaha...sorry, but real travel surveys really show the opposite is true, so while I am happy that people tired of SF and the Bay Area's dominance in virtually everything except snow finally have found an obscure internet thread to collectively mask their envy, more power to them.

Quote:
However, if some of the
boosters for one city or another get annoying
enough on the board, I'm pretty sure it directly
influences the polls to side with the other option.
Which is why these polls are more like middle school student council elections than unbiased, impartial surveytaking.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:57 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,880,436 times
Quote:
LOOOOOL good one

Old 09-02-2013, 09:23 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,769,834 times
Montreal in May and June. The rest of the year SF.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:27 PM

26 posts, read 41,978 times
All this makes me sick. The better place is relative. IMO, SF has higher numbers due to the sheer amount of business that takes place in that city.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:56 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Along those lines, the Bay Area has quite a bit more air traffic.

From wikipedia

Annual Passengers, 2012
SFO(San Francisco) 44,477,209
OAK(Oakland) 10,040,864
SJC(San Jose) 8,357,384(2011)

YUL(Montreal) 13,809,820

Non US or Canadian Carriers at SFO
Aer Lingus
Aeromexico
Air China
Air France
Air New Zealand
All Nippon Airways(ANA)
Asiana Airlines
Avianca
British Airways
Cathay Pacific
China Airlines
China Eastern Airlines
Emirates
EVA Air
Japan Airlines
KLM
Korean Air
LAN Peru
Lufthansa
Philippine Airlines
Scandinavian Airlines(SAS)
Singapore Airlines
Swissair
Virgin Atlantic
XL Airways France

Non US or Canadian Carriers at OAK
Arkefly
Norwegian
SATA International
Volaris

Non US or Canadian Carriers at SJC
All Nippon Airways(ANA)
Volaris

Non US or Canadian Carriers at YUL
Aeromexico
Air Algerie
Air France
Air Saint-Pierre
British Airways
Corsair International
Cubana
KLM
Lufthansa
Qatar Airways
Royal Air Maroc
Royal Jordanian
SATA International
Sunwing Airlines
Swissair
I had to add Norwegian Airlines to Oakland because they just announced 3 weekly nonstops from Oslo to Oakland ans 2 weekly nonstops from Stockholm to Oakland.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:31 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I had to add Norwegian Airlines to Oakland because they just announced 3 weekly nonstops from Oslo to Oakland ans 2 weekly nonstops from Stockholm to Oakland.
A minor error to your list for YUL - Sunwing is a Canadian Carrier Headquartered in Toronto.. It offers Charter services mainly to the Caribbean.. French Canadians love the Caribbean and particularly Cuba which is why you see Cubana on the list.

Toronto being the main airport hub for Canada eats away at the traffic for those travelling Internationally on flights going to Montreal.. There is a larger demand in Toronto so basically those going to Montreal would connect in YYZ. Marketing agreements (mainly Star Alliance) but others as well would make this a far more attractive option for Carriers rather than to serve a dedicated route to YUL without the demand to fill such a large wide bodied aircraft having the range needed to get to Montreal.

Even Vancouver is a far more important airport hub in Canada than Montreal due to its closer proximity to Asia but also because more International travellers visit YVR than YUL of Asian persuasion. One thing YVR isn't able to do is skim traffic away from YYZ (even with closer proximity to Asia than Toronto) and that is because there is simply enough demand for Carriers to fly from Asia Non stop to Toronto.

Montreal has a pretty sizable African and Arabic community and as such you'll see this born out in the list.. Air Algerie and Royal Jordanian are particularly interesting.

sigh - Arab men - another reason to love Montreal...

Last edited by fusion2; 09-04-2013 at 02:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City