Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is overall better?
Montreal, QC 180 59.60%
San Francisco, CA 122 40.40%
Voters: 302. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 07:44 PM

289 posts, read 396,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Because fashion is one factor that cannot be solved by data and statistics because it's totally subjective to personal opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
But one of the things we can do is dissect the demography of the population to speculate on prevailing tastes. We can also see what sort of stores that are universally recognized as elite boutiques and see which city has more of those boutiques. We can also look at the per capita spending on apparel and so forth.
So...you're trying to say fashion is solved by data and statistics or not?

Old 10-27-2013, 07:51 PM

15 posts, read 81,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toroid View Post
I think you touched on something there, Toroid.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think you got it backwards. It's in city data where people start arguing about the metro area and how these compare while when someone generally asks about what living or visiting San Francisco is like, it's generally about SF and not so much about Oakland. I still don't understand what part of this seems so odd to you.
It's not even in city-data, it's only here in city v city. Go to the SFO forum and ask about commuting from SJ to SF daily and people will tell you its moronic. Is it in the Bay Area? Sure. Is living there similar to living in SF? Not really.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:56 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
This topic was better with a lot of pictures of SF and Montreal. Oh, what about pictures of festivals? People love festivals! Or even, like, foods. Though sometimes poutine looks pretty rough. Is there any major fishing in the waters right off of Montreal island? Is it tasty? I saw that ice fishing episode of some Anthony Bourdain show. Looks fun. Also, if you raise your own fish in a tank, is it improper to take a gravid one and squeeze its eggs out on to your plate before putting the fish back in its tank? Is that, like, not a thing?

I don't understand why you guys are so boring sometimes.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
This topic was better with a lot of pictures of SF and Montreal. Oh, what about pictures of festivals? People love festivals! Or even, like, foods. Though sometimes poutine looks pretty rough. Is there any major fishing in the waters right off of Montreal island? Is it tasty? I saw that ice fishing episode of some Anthony Bourdain show. Looks fun.
They do a better job of showcasing Montreal than I can: Traveller | Tourism Montreal

Old 10-27-2013, 08:09 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
I think you got it backwards. It's in city data where people start arguing about the metro area and how these compare while when someone generally asks about what living or visiting San Francisco is like, it's generally about SF and not so much about Oakland. I still don't understand what part of this seems so odd to you.

You should give Montreal a shot. In my opinion, it's a very fun city to visit. Part of what makes it interesting as it almost feels like an alternate universe take on the US as it's very much a North American city despite how US visitors will often put a much heavier emphasis on its European-ness. Also, the people in Montreal for some reason are generally more attractive and put more work into looking good on average than in US cities. It's really easy to appreciate.
Then there is actual reality when people live and visit a place where city limits don't matter. I'm amazed you still don't understand that.

When someone says they visited SF and then mention going to Napa or Sausailto on their trip, do you look at them all dumbfounded and ask "I thought you were just going to SF and not the entire Bay Area"? Lol

Old 10-27-2013, 08:09 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toroid View Post
Yawns.

You keep thinking that your backing me into a corner but your not. LOL

Fashion is ultimately subjective, but there are still data we can look at to give us an idea of what the overall picture is like.

Like for example, Montreal has no stand alone Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Christian Dior, Valentino, Hermes or Saint Laurent or Goyard stores. The most iconically French major North American city is pretty much void in the most heralded French luxury brands.

That says a lot to me.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Then there is actual reality when people live and visit a place where city limits don't matter. I'm amazed you still don't understand that.

When someone says they visited SF and then mention going to Napa or Sausailto on their trip, do you look at them all dumbfounded and ask "I thought you were just going to SF and not the entire Bay Area"? Lol
Ugh, drop it already. Not everyone agrees with you and you are incredibly dull. When someone says they went to Napa valley, they went to Napa valley. If they went to SF, they went to SF. If they went to Bay Area, they went to them all. It's what I'm around, it's what I say. I'm fine if you want otherwise, but boring people to death is just such an underhanded strategy.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-27-2013 at 08:33 PM..

Old 10-27-2013, 08:47 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Ugh, drop it already. Not everyone agrees with you and you are incredibly dull. When someone says they went to Napa valley, they went to Napa valley. If they went to SF, they went to SF. If they went to Bay Area, they went to them all. It's what I'm around, it's what I say. I'm fine if you want otherwise, but boring people to death is just such an underhanded strategy.
Likewise buddy, I see you have no problem continuing as well so save your petty personal insults for someone that might care. I'm surprised you've never met a tourist who has referred to an area in the Bay Area as simply San Francisco, maybe you don't meet or talk many people. I guess you have trouble realizing lot everyone sees or says everything like you do. Either way still doesn't change the fact that when someone lives in or visits a place city limits don't matter. Feel free to disagree with that if you like but I'm not sure what planet you live on if you do.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:51 PM

So, better fishing? Anyone fish in both places? Ice fishing seems ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City