Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer the natural scenery in:
Texas 24 20.00%
Northeastern U.S. 96 80.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 12:34 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I have no doubt there are folks who find Texas to be their heaven on earth (didn't one poster call some stretch of interstate elegant?). As with many threads which invite comparisons of the state, I note the boundless boasting for which Texans are famous has ensued (the saying "Don't mess with Texas" didn't come about without reason). I have little doubt my views won't sit well with a handful of such folks. So be it: Those who disagree are entitled to their views. Just don't expect me to share them.
Who's boasting? This thread has remained remarkably civil, with people from both sides by and large expressing appreciation for the other. Quit trying to stir the pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

Seeing those pictures of Austin kind of remind me of the landscape here.
I've noticed a couple similarities too, wasn't expecting that!

Few more of my pics. As you can see most of my pics are around water, which I love...most of it is cool and clear, not muddy and silty as someone suggested. Tons and tons of spring-fed pools and swimming holes all around my area. Just camped on the Gulf coast too, and the water was clear and deliciously warm!

Big Bend

a short walk or bike from my place I have this

this

and this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 12:41 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post

I'm still kicking myself for not taking pictures of this past autumn season in Northeast Texas, as I myself was literally floored with the amount of vivid fall color present that year; especially after such an ugly summer.

I know, I was thinking the same exact thing...I still think the Northeast looks better than Texas, but I know for a fact that parts of East Texas can give it a run for its money in the fall foliage department.

Really, about the only thing that East Texas loses in is elevation. The northeast, and uppersouth/midatlantic tend to have elevations that allow for vistas that really showcase its fall foliage. But colorwise, Northeast Texas is no slacker.

Alas, I have scrounged up a couple of mildly representative pics of East Texas. These will have to do for now.

Ok...so that last one isnt East Texas. But the rest are.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:50 PM

mustang island

waterfall

lost maples

hill country

wimberley (near austin)

lost maples again

Old 06-20-2012, 01:03 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,543,919 times
Well I have to admit. I've seen a lot of Texas, but many of the photos posted here introduced me to parts of it I didn't know about.

After seeing that I'd say the two are about dead even. The only difference that remains in my mind is that Texas still has a lot more flat treeless areas (I've seen them).

I think the only flat areas of the northeast are New Jersey, and the Ontario plains. Even then northwest Jersey has Piedmont hills and the Ontario plains has scattered low ridges. I'd say the New England coast but I've never actually been there, I only know the mountains. I know there are a lot of cliffs in Maine.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:06 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,469,504 times
This might be the biggest mismatch in the history of C-D polls. It's like comparing NYC to Enid, Okla.

The northeast wins in an epic landslide, caused by a 500-foot tsunami created by a mid-ocean asteroid impact.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Ok, fine, I'll admit Texas has some nice stuff.

Agree with CookieSkoon about the biggest difference is the Northeast has less flat areas. And treeless areas, obviously, but the only spots without trees are farmland or spots turned into city.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
A lot of nice pics posted on here. I like to see even more of Texas since I haven't been there.

What part of the Texas Gulf coast has the best waves?
AFAIK, really none have great waves consistently...although I know surfers who live in Corpus and are pretty happy with it. I know during the Gulf's tropical wave season (starting now) the waves can get pretty gnarly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
This might be the biggest mismatch in the history of C-D polls. It's like comparing NYC to Enid, Okla.

The northeast wins in an epic landslide, caused by a 500-foot tsunami created by a mid-ocean asteroid impact.
I don't see how anyone could look at the pictures posted on the last few pages and still have the above opinion...no one is that ignorant/intransigent/blind, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Well I have to admit. I've seen a lot of Texas, but many of the photos posted here introduced me to parts of it I didn't know about.

I think the only flat areas of the northeast are New Jersey, and the Ontario plains. Even then northwest Jersey has Piedmont hills and the Ontario plains has scattered low ridges. I'd say the New England coast but I've never actually been there, I only know the mountains. I know there are a lot of cliffs in Maine.
Absolutely true...when it comes to proximity and accessibility Texas can't compare. The size of the state means variety but also means it takes forever to get places. I'm lucky enough to have some wonderfully scenic places near where I live (comprising most of the pics I posted), but it takes me 6 hours to get to Big Bend, 3 hours to the best parts of the Hill Country, 3 hours to the coast, 6 hours to East TX, etc. And I'm smack in the middle of the state

Old 06-20-2012, 01:24 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
Quit trying to stir the pot.
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed.

On another note, with nei's photos, I'm pretty sure I've seen the same waterfall photo atleast two or three times in this thread.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:30 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Some more pictures within a 100 miles radius from where I live:
Oswego sunset over Lake Ontario

Google Image Result for http://www.zonianlady.com/oswego/oswego_sunset_tobias.jpg

Thousand Islands with the 1000 Islands bridge in the background at the NY/Ontario border

Google Image Result for http://www.attractionsontario.ca/_assets/Image/1000_Islands.jpg

and more:

Google Image Result for http://www.1000islands-clayton.com/visitorinfo/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/welcome.jpg

Google Image Result for http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6135/6037088218_b9710f9a99.jpg

Google Image Result for http://www.warmus.com/Cayuga-Lake-autumn-Oct-20-1.jpg

Google Image Result for http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2209/2241670551_87fa4dc71d.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 06-20-2012 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: Max of 6 images per post.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:34 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I have never seen Caddo Lake or East Texas in general, but have seen it mentioned a number of times before on City-Data. It does look interesting and you are right that there seems to a "Deep South" feeling to East Texas, especially with the moss hanging from the trees.
Well, that would be because it is the Deep South.

In all seriousness, though, that lake makes me think of Huckleberry Finn, which was one of my favorite books as a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City