Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer the natural scenery in:
Texas 24 20.00%
Northeastern U.S. 96 80.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 06:04 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times

Advertisements

Great pics of the Palo Pinto/Possum Kingdom area. I wish I had those pics handy when posters say there's no scenic beauty in the DFW vicinity.

I think people are not considering the diversity of Texas landscapes. Nowhere in the Northeast do you have the diversity you have here. Southern moss covered swamps, sandy coastlines, rolling prairies, the great plains, desert, mountains, rocky canyons, and the Rio Grande Valley which is as tropical as you are going to get in the US outside of the southern tip of Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 06:36 PM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Great pics of the Palo Pinto/Possum Kingdom area. I wish I had those pics handy when posters say there's no scenic beauty in the DFW vicinity.

I think people are not considering the diversity of Texas landscapes. Nowhere in the Northeast do you have the diversity you have here. Southern moss covered swamps, sandy coastlines, rolling prairies, the great plains, desert, mountains, rocky canyons, and the Rio Grande Valley which is as tropical as you are going to get in the US outside of the southern tip of Florida.
Outside of the desert and tropical scenery, you can find pretty much everything else in the Northeast.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:04 PM

635 posts, read 1,540,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Outside of the desert and tropical scenery, you can find pretty much everything else in the Northeast.
Evidently. It's the desert and tropical scenery that, for some, tip the scales in Texas' favor.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:05 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Sorry, but it's blasphemy to claim that the Northeast has prairies and Great Plains. I have a hard time believing it has mossy swamps either, though I'll gladly recant that statement if shown otherwise.

Whether it's your taste or not, it's hard to deny that this isn't absolutely beautiful.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-XYZyaFtIa...+Landscape.JPG

Last edited by Westerner92; 06-22-2012 at 08:16 PM..

Old 06-22-2012, 08:06 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
I think, for me, a lot of it is related to my climate preferences. When I see sandy beaches, tropical scenery, or desert I automatically think "hot". And since I absolutely hate hot weather more than anything, it's hard for me to be attracted to those types of landscape.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:04 PM

635 posts, read 1,540,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I think, for me, a lot of it is related to my climate preferences. When I see sandy beaches, tropical scenery, or desert I automatically think "hot". And since I absolutely hate hot weather more than anything, it's hard for me to be attracted to those types of landscape.
I'm sure it gets cold in parts of Texas.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:28 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,330,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
That it does, and when the more southern parts of the state get that rare snowfall, it's truly a weird sight to see snow covering palm trees and live oaks.

This is Houston in 2010:

http://wizbangblog.com/images/2010/0...%20Houston.jpg

Old 06-23-2012, 02:51 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,107,813 times
Places like Vermont and upstate new york are known for their beautiful landscape so its hard to beat. But I think the hill Country which surrounds San Antonio and Austin is up there as far as beauty. East texas is very beautiful as well as parts of West texas. Texas has so many looks to it.

Here is a bit of the hill country area in San Antonio region Vanderpool Tx Bandera County
credit Lost Maples State Natural Area - The best autumn in South

credit Rick's Cafe: Lost Maples State Natural Area

credit San Antonio Texas ......Texas Hill Country

credit

Helotes, looking at the medical center | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

credit Flickr: paul heaston's Photostream

Guadalupe River New Braunfels
credit
The Guadalupe River | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by JMT; 06-23-2012 at 06:24 AM.. Reason: Max of 6 images per post

Old 06-23-2012, 10:21 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
I'm not a cold lover, I'm a heat hater. Actually, most of the Northeast gets too hot for my taste in the summer, too. But the pictures don't usually "look" hot. I also simply don't find brown, arid landscapes visually attractive. They might be interesting, but I don't see those pictures and think, "Wow, I'd really like to be there!"

Old 06-23-2012, 11:14 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Places like Vermont and upstate new york are known for their beautiful landscape so its hard to beat. But I think the hill Country which surrounds San Antonio and Austin is up there as far as beauty. East texas is very beautiful as well as parts of West texas. Texas has so many looks to it.

Here is a bit of the hill country area in San Antonio region Vanderpool Tx Bandera County
credit Lost Maples State Natural Area - The best autumn in South

credit Rick's Cafe: Lost Maples State Natural Area

credit San Antonio Texas ......Texas Hill Country

credit

Helotes, looking at the medical center | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

credit Flickr: paul heaston's Photostream

Guadalupe River New Braunfels
credit
The Guadalupe River | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Those are some very nice pics. I think both regions have natural beauty and will say it's a toss up. I would rather live in Texas due do warm weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City