Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer the natural scenery in:
Texas 24 20.00%
Northeastern U.S. 96 80.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:21 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,827,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Northeast.
Quote:
Mountains
El Paso

Quote:
forests
The East Texas Piney Woods

Quote:
beaches
Galveston, Corpus Christi, Port Aransas, and South Padre Island (one of the biggest Spring Break stops in the country)

Quote:
lakes
.... seriously?

Quote:
rolling hills
Central Texas

Quote:
cold weather
Did you NOT see the coverage of Super Bowl XLV?

Quote:
warm weather.
.....again, SERIOUSLY?

Quote:
Everything else too.
Yeah, it's not like Texas has ANY of that....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 02:05 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,531,686 times
Having had the misfortune of driving I-10 and I-20 between El Paso and Dallas/San Antonio many times (and having driven a lot of other places in TX as well), I can quite confidently say the NE wins this in a landslide.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:21 AM

14,799 posts, read 21,426,844 times
Northeast but not by a landslide. In TX, the gulf beaches are very pretty, aswell as the hills west of Austin, mountains in West Texas and the Red River

Old 06-19-2012, 06:53 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,508,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
That's arguable. Texas has deserts and forests and everything inbetween. New England doesn't have such an extreme.

Texas benefits from being a humongous place located in seperate geographical regions of the country, and New England benefits from being a much smaller area largely concentrated around part of a major mountain range.
Allow me to try and explain this:

I think the Northeast has a greater variety of scenery and elevation than Texas. The Northeast also has a greater variety in climate and cultures.

While Texas has less variety, the variety it does have is far more drastic in appearance than the Northeast.

Does that make sense?

(And yes I know Texas quite well)

Old 06-19-2012, 07:03 AM

7,263 posts, read 10,533,004 times
Quote:
You've just proved that you don't know much or possibly anything about Texas.

It's a shame that in 2012 people still think of Texas as nothing but desert and flat land.
I never claimed that the entire state of Texas is simply desert, that forests are non-existent or the entire state is flat. It's pretty obvious, however, that Texas generally doesn't get as much precipitation, nor does it have as much forest cover as the Northeast.

I wasn't trying to be ignorant or insulting, and there's nothing nonfactual about that statement:

Average Annual Precipitation by State - Current Results

State-by-State Forest Facts

Old 06-19-2012, 07:07 AM

635 posts, read 1,536,763 times
Quote:
Texas only has snow capped mountains when it has actually just snowed lol.

Snow capped Mountains in El Paso, Texas | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Texas just went up in my book! Are those mountains by chance covered in Ponderosa or other evergreen? Or are they simply barren of all trees?

Old 06-19-2012, 07:36 AM

300 posts, read 522,820 times
I'm surprised this is being debated.

Texas, especially for its huge size, does not have particularly impressive scenery.

The Northeast is one of the nicer parts of the country, in terms of natural amenities. The Adirondacks, Niagara, the Gunks, Acadia, the Hamptons, Thousand Islands, Vermont, Hudson Valley, Champlain, Finger Lakes, etc.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:49 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,827,745 times
While I do think the Northeast does have better natural scenery, I don't think it's by that much.

I don't know where the hell you people are saying "by a country mile" and "by a landslide". There's way too much land and change in scenery here than what some of you are apparently thinking.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:12 AM

300 posts, read 522,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
While I do think the Northeast does have better natural scenery, I don't think it's by that much.

I don't know where the hell you people are saying "by a country mile" and "by a landslide". There's way too much land and change in scenery here than what some of you are apparently thinking.
To me, Texas is like four times the size of the Northeast, so should, in theory, at least, have far more interesting scenery.

In reality, most of Texas has pretty boring scenery. 80% of Texas is arid, and most of that is fairly flat and often treeless. You don't have iconic places like Niagara, Adirondacks, Hamptons, Acadia, Nantucket, etc.

I guess there's Big Bend, and Hill Country is nice, but I wouldn't compare it to places like the Hudson Valley, Finger Lakes, High Peaks, Vermont, etc.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:12 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,852,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Street View Post
I'm surprised this is being debated.

Texas, especially for its huge size, does not have particularly impressive scenery.

The Northeast is one of the nicer parts of the country, in terms of natural amenities. The Adirondacks, Niagara, the Gunks, Acadia, the Hamptons, Thousand Islands, Vermont, Hudson Valley, Champlain, Finger Lakes, etc.
I know it's been said before, but Texas overall is more dramatic in it's georaphical extremes. All those natural wonders you listed in the NE, while nice, they all seem very regional and similar. Same climate, same everything. They don't feel like you're in another region all together. The North east all together, hell, add the midwest doesn't have the geographical extremes of Texas and most Western states. Even if you took away West Texas the diffirence between East Texas and Central/South Texas stands-out more the the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City