U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Philly-San Francisco A Reasonable Comparison?
Yes 64 49.23%
No 66 50.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2012, 06:53 PM

5,256 posts, read 12,560,790 times

Advertisements

They are both wonderful cities but I am never in ah with Philadelphia as I am with San Francisco. Its unique architecture, the many hills, the cable cars and those beautiful street cars, the ocean and bay, the flowers and vegetation. I don't know maybe it's just me, but its such a unique and charming city. Also I hate to bring up Philadelphia's crime problem but it's a total downer imo. I know its probably concentrated in certain parts of the city but still, its there!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 08:16 PM

12,994 posts, read 17,117,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I guess. But if you really like NYC or DC that much to visit them all the time then why not just live in one of them?
Quote:
I hate America and that includes its history, its a terrible country but that's just my opinion.
Same reason you don't leave the United States even though you think it's "terrible" here, I suppose.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,740 posts, read 39,621,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The problem with that photo of the SF coast is its also fairly inaccessible. Other than die hard surfers in wetsuits what kind of fun can you have on that northcoast?
Hiking and seeing incredible views.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:23 PM

637 posts, read 744,623 times
Why wouldn't they be comparable? Any city is comparable to any city.

If every city was alike, then there'd be no comparisons.

I prefer Philly, some prefer SF. In real life, most Philly residents don't think about SF. I'm sure its the same about SF people feel the same way about Philly. The only West Coast city that anyone I hear talk about is LA, and even then, it isn't that common. Most people here talk about NYC, DC, Boston, Pittsburgh, etc. You get the idea.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:25 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,343,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
They are both wonderful cities but I am never in ah with Philadelphia as I am with San Francisco. Its unique architecture, the many hills, the cable cars and those beautiful street cars, the ocean and bay, the flowers and vegetation. I don't know maybe it's just me, but its such a unique and charming city. Also I hate to bring up Philadelphia's crime problem but it's a total downer imo. I know its probably concentrated in certain parts of the city but still, its there!
Philly still has street cars running too... you just don't see them in Center City because they run underground. You can see them run above ground in North and West Philadelphia however.

Pics I took myself of some in the Spruce Hill and Woodland Terrace neighborhoods of West Philadelphia.

Girard Ave Line by Parkside neighborhood in West Philly

Girard Ave Line by the Zoo in West Philadelphia

Girard Ave Line in Northern Liberties in North Philly

Old 06-20-2012, 09:33 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,343,787 times
I voted yes... these cities are pretty comparable. San Fran, Philly and Boston are probably the three most comparable and closest cities in the U.S...

On San Fran and Philly... some mention the crime in Philly and while I think that is a downer too the crime is mainly center in North and West Philly. Also Philly is MUCH larger than San Fran so all of the nice areas of Philly probably add up to the total square mileage of San Fran. Also most of San Fran's crime is centered outside of the city in places like Oakland and a lot of the wealth is centered in the city. Philly has wealth in the city in Chestnut Hill, Rittenhouse Square, Fitler Square and Society Hill there is a growing wealth in other areas as well like University City for instance... however, most of Philly's wealth is Centered OUTSIDE of the city like it always has been in Chester County, Bucks County, The Main Line and some other areas of Montgomery County, Cherry Hill and other locations in New Jersey and there is not much crime in the surrounding suburbs outside of the usual cities...Camden, Chester and Wilmington. What you may not realize is these cities are VERY small both population and square mileage wise.

I think they are absolutely comparable. Just different beasts. San Fran has more wealth in the city and Philly's wealth is for the most part centered outside the city except for the neighborhoods I listed.

Oh well, it is going to be at least a couple more years until most of the U.S. wakes up to Philadelphia's renaissance.

Both San Fran and Philly are great! Different beasts. While the both have their positives and negatives San Fran may have a slight edge FOR NOW... but Philly is quickly catching up. They are both easily comparable and it will be an interesting comparison to look at in 10 years.

Just think... in the late 90's Philly wouldn't have come anywhere close to San Fran... look where it is now... running right up there with San Fran and Boston.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:30 PM

2,208 posts, read 3,501,537 times
Quote:
Actually downtown Oakland reminds me of downtown Phily, the grit and activity is similar but Phily is a bigger denser city so it has more going on but if it had a mini version that would be Oakland.
Quote:
Never been to Oakland. Can anyone who has been in both downtowns(Philly-Oakland) verify this assertion please. That sounds like an untrue statement.
Untrue (to his comparison) to a certain extent. If we factor out Center City then yes, there is a similar downtown vibe and look. But let's face it, CC is the core of downtown Philly and last time I was there in Oakland, it has nothing like CC unless you include Emeryville, and if you include Berkley it could be like University City or vice versa. And also, Oakland isn't really a tourist destination, less people around. Even if we include the population of those cities, they don't add up to even half of Philly's population.

And I'm not sure what he means by "activity", seems to have negated that in the same statement though. Not sure where he's going with that. From previous posts he's made about Philly ... I wouldn't give any credence to his claims.

Last edited by BVitamin; 06-20-2012 at 10:50 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 12:16 AM

8,372 posts, read 8,442,466 times
Quote:
Ive always said that on a per capita basis SF blows Philly out of the water. That being said because Philadelphia is 3x the geographical size of the city of SF, there is actually a greater number of phenomenal areas to live in Philly.

As far as the overall region? Philaldelphia to live. Bay Area to sightsee.

My insightful analysis and reaction to your post is: no.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:24 AM

3 posts, read 6,326 times
Don't compare them. Every city is different for a reason. Just enjoy the unique things about both and stop moanin about it.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:26 AM

8,372 posts, read 8,442,466 times
Quote:
The problem with that photo of the SF coast is its also fairly inaccessible. Other than die hard surfers in wetsuits what kind of fun can you have on that northcoast?

The Philadelphia area obviously doesnt have the iconic landscape of Bay Area but overall you could probably make the argument that it is more livable. For every neat, interesting, desolate, mountain top in SF there is a pleasant, emerald green, valley in the Philadelphia region.

The barrier islands of South Jersey like Wildwood,Ocean City,Cape May have summertime population density numbers off the charts. Like 50,000 ppsq.m.

Correct.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or