U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Philly-San Francisco A Reasonable Comparison?
Yes 64 49.23%
No 66 50.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:39 AM

31,598 posts, read 53,177,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I am comparing downtown to downtown and I never said its exactly like "center city". I said its similar and it could pass off as a mini version of it. Do you know what mini means? Smaller scale size of something. Obviously Philly being the bigger denser city will have a larger downtown but tell me how it feels so much more different than Oakland.

Activity meaning amenities. I was not discrediting Phily's downtown just making a comparison and I wont back down from it. Downtown Oakland can pass off as a mini version of downtown Phily.

http://texaswatertowers.com/kayandly..._oakland_2.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7273/6...5d4fae96_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7279/7...6b647e4c_z.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5232/6...804f4608_z.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5238/6...1ebf986d_z.jpg

Oakland is grittier than San Francisco or San Jose and in that way its more like Phily. Its downtown is always active and pedestrian traffic is big for a city its size. Even its architecture is historic like the cities back east. This "Bill Cobb" of Flikr has a good collection from cities all over on his photostream. He's a very talented photo shooter.

Read the intro on Oakland and see more good photos here. It can pass off as a mini downtown Phily, no doubt. Oakland, California Pictures - California stock photos, fine art prints by QTL
Just like SF vs Philadelphia, the similarities between Oakland and Philadelphia are anecdotal at best.

Oakland is a bit more yuppified, is a bit more educated, a bit more affluent, has a noticeably lower poverty rate, is way more expensive to live in and is incomparably more racially diverse than Philadelphia. There are many other major differences as well.

Philadelphia County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Oakland (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 09:56 AM

4,888 posts, read 12,205,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Just like SF vs Philadelphia, the similarities between Oakland and Philadelphia are anecdotal at best.

Oakland is a bit more yuppified, is a bit more educated, a bit more affluent, has a noticeably lower poverty rate, is way more expensive to live in and is incomparably more racially diverse than Philadelphia. There are many other major differences as well.

Philadelphia County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Oakland (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Keep in mind the Op was referring to the comparison of downtowns(Oak-Phl) which there is no comparison.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Keep in mind the Op was referring to the comparison of downtowns(Oak-Phl) which there is no comparison.
Actually that's where there are similarities. Like Downtown Philadelphia, Downtown Oakland has lots of parking lots that are close to tall buildings, but Philadelphia at least has retail, albeit down market--Downtown Oakland has very litte retail apart from Chinatown, which is actually quite bustling.

They both have a veneer of grit to them as well.

But apart from that, we all know that Downtown Philadelphia far outsizes Downtown Oakland.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Downtown Oakland has lots of parking lots that are close to tall buildings, but Philadelphia at least has retail, albeit down market--

Montclair you better stick to the topics where the Bay Area has an advantage e.g. desolate rock formations, sky high real estate values (which is somehow a good thing) etc etc

Down market? Perhaps the stretch along Market east. On the otherhand The Rittenhouse Square retail district has higher per sq ft rents than just about every other downtown shopping district in the usa outside of Manhattan. University Citys retail is very upscale.

Parking lots? There is one here and there but not many.

http://www.skylinescenes.com/gallery...ne_26_8656.jpg

Last edited by rainrock; 06-21-2012 at 10:22 AM..

Old 06-21-2012, 10:16 AM

That's nice but anyone whose been to both downtwns knows that DT Philadelphia has way more parking lots smack in the middle of downtown than SF does...quite a bit more actually. Its a space thing really, SF has very little space for that.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
That's nice but anyone whose been to both downtwns knows that DT Philadelphia has way more parking lots smack in the middle of downtown than SF does...quite a bit more actually. Its a space thing really, SF has very little space for that.
We are jumping back over the bay to SF now? Very convenient.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:49 AM

12,391 posts, read 23,799,600 times
Hmm... they are, and they aren't... That is why I voted no. I think culturally they are almost complete opposites, so I voted no. There are more "SF" elements in areas of NYC and Boston..., or NYC/Boston elements in SF... However you want to look at it... In terms of similar neighborhoods, similar attraction of the people, etc. So I think those would be better comparisons even if you have to scale down NYC for instance.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:49 AM

20,199 posts, read 21,793,720 times
Philly is probably headed for a massive decade of growth and gentrification. It's going to be a different conversation pretty soon--it's just too bad the public infrastructure in both cities will continue to be crap even a decade from now.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
We are jumping back over the bay to SF now? Very convenient.
Well the point is like Downtown Philadelphia, Downtown Oakland also has tons of parking lots and your desire to put up pretty pics doesnt really change that---does it?

Yes, Downtown Philadelphia is larger and more vibrant than Downtown Oakland, but it still has a lot of parking lots compared to San Francisco, just like Oakland has many dt parking lots compared to SF.

I guess in that respect, Oakland and Philly are kindred spirits.

lol

Old 06-21-2012, 10:54 AM

8,702 posts, read 11,364,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
So you are saying that Phily is tit for tat as wealthy as San Francisco when you compare metros? I wont even bother comparing CSAs because that would be a blowout for San Francisco but heres something you should see MSAd houses valued over $1 million.

NYC 231,051
Boston 47,347
San Jose 67,521
San Francisco 132,783

Phily 22,039

American FactFinder - Results

Phily is not in San Francisco's league when it comes to desirable housing, its not in NYC's league, or Boston's league, and not even in San Jose's league.
Did I ever once mention that? No...All I said was most of Philly's wealth is centered outside of the city limits aside from a few neighborhoods in the city where a lot of San Fran's wealth is centered in the city. Never once compared the amount of millionares each metro has.

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 06-21-2012 at 11:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or