Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is better?
Pacific Northwest 50 70.42%
Deep South 21 29.58%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:06 PM

183 posts, read 298,458 times

Advertisements

Now New Orleans is wayyyy more interesting and has more culture than Portland and Boise put together. However ecomomically, Portland is comes out on top and that is what really matters. Its almost like the Portland vs. ATL argument going on right now, yes Portland may have a better downtown than ATL but we all know what city has more to offer. Also, I forgot about Charleston and I actually would take Charleston over Boise anyday.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:03 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieIndy View Post
Seattle may be the coldest city that doesnt snow. The rain and misting makes colder than most people make it out to be.
Not to me. And when my geraniums never died out, trees start blooming in January, or the fact that I never owned a winter coat it never felt that cold to me, especially compared to winters back east.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:56 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb90 View Post
Now New Orleans is wayyyy more interesting and has more culture than Portland and Boise put together. However ecomomically, Portland is comes out on top and that is what really matters. Its almost like the Portland vs. ATL argument going on right now, yes Portland may have a better downtown than ATL but we all know what city has more to offer. Also, I forgot about Charleston and I actually would take Charleston over Boise anyday.
We ALL do? Who appointed you spokesperson for us all? As far as I'm concerned, Portland has much more to offer than Atlanta does.

But to this thread - I love New Orleans, and it's a great city. It has a very specific set of things on offer. But nothing like the variety of other cities. I would never want to live there, though it's great to visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Not to me. And when my geraniums never died out, trees start blooming in January, or the fact that I never owned a winter coat it never felt that cold to me, especially compared to winters back east.
Agree with this 100%. I don't think I've had a "winter" coat since I was six years old, and my mother made me wear one. I wear Birkenstocks year-round. Most of the boys in the family wear shorts year-round. Perhaps to someone coming from a very warm climate it would seem cold, but not to (most) residents.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:16 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
We ALL do? Who appointed you spokesperson for us all? As far as I'm concerned, Portland has much more to offer than Atlanta does.

But to this thread - I love New Orleans, and it's a great city. It has a very specific set of things on offer. But nothing like the variety of other cities. I would never want to live there, though it's great to visit.

Agree with this 100%. I don't think I've had a "winter" coat since I was six years old, and my mother made me wear one. I wear Birkenstocks year-round. Most of the boys in the family wear shorts year-round. Perhaps to someone coming from a very warm climate it would seem cold, but not to (most) residents.
Ive always just layered up in the winter. under shirt, Long Sleeve, Sweat jacket, and wind breaker on top!

Old 06-20-2013, 06:24 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,825,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Ive always just layered up in the winter. under shirt, Long Sleeve, Sweat jacket, and wind breaker on top!
Lol im one of the people who where shorts year around in Seattle . Im a manager at a Taco Time and its very warm in the kitchen .

Old 06-20-2013, 08:58 AM

183 posts, read 298,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post

I didn't say this as a knock at Portland as its a great city and does a lot of things a whole lot better than ATL and I can definitely see why people could choose Portland over ATL, but metro Atlanta is twice the size of the Portland area so its natural that Atlanta will have more to offer just based on pure size alone.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:51 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Quote:
I didn't say this as a knock at Portland as its a great city and does a lot of things a whole lot better than ATL and I can definitely see why people could choose Portland over ATL, but metro Atlanta is twice the size of the Portland area so its natural that Atlanta will have more to offer just based on pure size alone.
No it's not natural. Do you mean that it has more to offer because it has 20 bakeries (for example) instead of 10? They both have bakeries, and the same number per capita. That doesn't mean it has more to offer. And it certainly doesn't mean that we all know it does. For one thing, everyone doesn't think or even "know" alike. I don't care if you think Portland is a better place than Atlanta. I just care about anyone who thinks they speak for me, or that the world has come to some consensus on anything under the sun. It hasn't.

As for more ... there's some phone commercial on now with some guy talking to a bunch of kids about how "more" is always better isn't it. And of course they all agree. And every time I see it, I ask myself would they think that if they're talking about chores, homework, trouble, or any other things that I can think of that more definitely isn't better that are conveniently not brought up.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:39 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times
Quote:
Size of Metro means nothing when its composed of suburban sprawl and Chain-cities. Sizes doesn't mean "more" is offered just more of the same thing. Is there Malls in Portland? yes! But is there more malls in Atlanta? Definitely! Does that make Atlanta a better shopping destination? No it doesn't.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:45 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Just speaking as a Vancouverite here, British Columbians universally do consider ourselves to live in a region we call the Pacific Northwest, but we think of it as the Pacific Northwest of the North American continent, not of the USA, and really it's just taking the place of the old term, which was the Columbia District. I consider a place to be PNW if it was a part of the old Columbia District which shares a certain history as a big region originally established by the Hudson's Bay Company, which founded Vancouver, Washington and Boise as the two British hubs of the region which wasn't supposed to be heavily settled but was just supposed to be a place where the Indian's would be left alone and traded with. Then there was a long struggle for control between the US and Britain and the place was partitioned into BC and the American states, but being in such an integrated and isolated area there remained significant interaction and influencing of each other. BC is definitely a part of a foreign country in many ways to "American Columbia" but there are certain cultural traits held in common and the regions are deeply integrated economically and in the sharing of ideas. I would say PNW ideas and culture spreads within the PNW but greater American and Canadian influences and events only effect one side of the border or the other for the most part, leading to some interesting differences and divergent histories in some respects. In short, it definitely functions as one region despite being in two countries and locals certainly consider it to be so.

As for scenery, there is certainly diversity within the PNW, from the desert region of Osoyoos in the BC interior to the warm river valleys of Oregon to the untouched, primeval Great Bear Rainforest. PNW, and especially northern BC, has an untouched wildness to it like you just can't find in the South. I also think that many of the American posters here are not giving Victoria its due, as it is an amazing old, dense, classy British city full of a beautifully preserved stock of colonial architecture layered with beautiful modern mixed use urban strata housing with a solid university and I think it beats cities like Savannah and Charleston easily. Places like Kelowna are also not well known in the US but are pretty amazing resort areas filled with vineyards and outdoor adventures.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 06-21-2013 at 04:19 AM..

Old 06-22-2013, 02:19 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Size of Metro means nothing when its composed of suburban sprawl and Chain-cities. Sizes doesn't mean "more" is offered just more of the same thing. Is there Malls in Portland? yes! But is there more malls in Atlanta? Definitely! Does that make Atlanta a better shopping destination? No it doesn't.
Just stop it dude.You are only showing how ignornat you are.Atlanta(not the suburbs) is a better shopping area because of it;s dept and variety.Store like Hermes and Neiman Marcus.Does Poland have either?Thelist goes on and on.
Atlanta host 37million people each year so obviously there must be a lot more for people to do.

Also if we are discussing a metro by size, you are really being ignorant if you are really suggesting that a metro of just under 6 million is not going to have more amenities than a metro of 2 million.Really?

You cant even fly in or out from as many places in a much smaller city.Potland does not even have MLB or NFL.Atlanta suburbs has at least minor league hockey and baseball teams.Not to mention Arena football,Soccerr and WNBA.
Now how is that not MORE?Shopping and Sports.Shall we get into tourist sites also?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City