Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is better?
Pacific Northwest 50 70.42%
Deep South 21 29.58%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 12:55 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,427,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Those still don't compare to the PNW. The PNW has not just mountains but volcanic mountains such as Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Hood.
Does it really matter if both regions have mountains which are more magestic?This is silly discussion.
The fact is both regions have beauty other wise thousands would not be flocking to hose areas to enjoy.
Now if you have nubers to say which are more visited then that would be beyond subjective but factual.

The South has more diversity so if you get tired of mountains,you can go see a swamp or tropical beach.That is a major draw as much as weather is.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:56 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I grew up in SC. What about you? No history teacher that I had ever referred to it as the 'Deep South'.

Georgia could be included in Deep South b/c I believe much of the southern portion of the state was added to the state after the US was formed. Its two oldest cities are Savannah and Augusta, both on the Savannah River, across from SC.

To separate out SC from NC and VA is silly. Our history is similar to NC and VA as compared to FL, LA, MS, etc.
You must've had some pretty dumb teachers.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
Does it really matter if both regions have mountains which are more magestic?This is silly discussion.
The fact is both regions have beauty other wise thousands would not be flocking to hose areas to enjoy.
Now if you have nubers to say which are more visited then that would be beyond subjective but factual.

The South has more diversity so if you get tired of mountains,you can go see a swamp or tropical beach.That is a major draw as much as weather is.
Who wants to see a swamp? And the PNW also has beaches which are much more scenic than the Deep South.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:58 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,390,618 times
Quote:
South Carolina has more in common with Georgia than NC and VA. SC is not the Upper South.
Georgia had a lot different history than the other original colonies.

SC and NC were formed from the same province. Don't see how you split the two.

I think that you want to separate the two out based on what you think current politics are in both.

Your average SC person has little interaction with most of Georgia except the two cities on the border and Atlanta. I contend most people in SC have been all over NC. The interaction with Savannah and Augusta isn't all that much considering Charleston and Columbia are similar and many would say better versions of both.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:12 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Those still don't compare to the PNW. The PNW has not just mountains but volcanic mountains such as Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Hood.
Obviously the PNW has higher mountains, but the areas in the South I mentioned do have mountainous, hilly landscapes.

Quote:
South Carolina is most certainly the Deep South. The Deep South also can be referred to as the states that seceded immediately upon Lincoln's election or Fort Sumter, one of the two I can't remember, but they were the first to secede. With the exception of Texas, which I consider the Western South, that includes the states of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, and Florida. You excluded Georgia, are you going to tell me now that Georgia isn't the Deep South, which is a flat out lie. South Carolina was not only among the first to secede, it was the VERY first, and in many respects South Carolina encompasses Southerness at its most extreme. Not to mention it is due east of central Georgia, central Alabama, and central Mississippi. To say South Carolina is not the Deep South is one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard. If South Carolina is not the Deep South, there is no Deep South.
I agree that SC is the Deep South, but the earliest definitions of the term actually excluded SC. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_South#Origins

Old 05-19-2016, 01:14 PM

A good way to determine the Deep South states is look at which ones voted for George Wallace vs Richard Nixon. SC, NC, and VA voted for Nixon.

GA, AL, MS, LA, and AR voted for Wallace.

Should also be pointed out that Clemson's no. 1 ranked public university is in the ACC, a conference that includes schools in NC and VA and not 'Deep South' states, and G Tech / ATL would not be considered Deep South.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Sure some of these might have changed a little but I doubt anything that drastic. It still illustrates the point that southern states generally are the least developed and advanced in the US, that is well known except to those in denial of reality.

California's HDI is actually slightly higher than in 2009 FYI.
WOW. You need to get out more. The South is hisorically the most depressed so naturally it is still growing but that has nothng to do with the day to day live of most people with decent incomes. The depressed areas tend to be areas that have been depressed for years and where no one is moving to.
Hardly not the cities and towns that are booming with transplants fro all over.

You are stretching a point that shows you are just looking for ways you think can prove some sort of superiority.
Truth is the South is more populated and more diverse overall than the PNW which if you are white is great but dont be a minority or especially Native American.

See how that sounds?Thats what you are saying about a more populated area that has risen and fallen over the years n prosperity.Way before the PNW was first populated.Its history that has nothing to do with a South that is flourishing with people who want to live there today.If it did then many of those states would be dying
If people look at the Human Rights Index they would never leave their own areas.Totally irrelevant and juvenile point actually.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
A good way to determine the Deep South states is look at which ones voted for George Wallace vs Richard Nixon. SC, NC, and VA voted for Nixon.

Should also be pointed out that Clemson's no. 1 ranked public university is in the ACC, a conference that includes schools in NC and VA and not 'Deep South' states, and G Tech / ATL would not be considered Deep South.
Arkansas is not the Deep South. It is mid-South, arguably Upper South. And are you kidding me? Atlanta and Georgia Tech not the Deep South? THey are located in GEORGIA, a Deep South state. Your classifications of what defines the Deep South are arbitrary at best.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:23 PM

Atlanta has always been called the 'New South'.

Greenville SC has also been referred to as 'New South' since Civil War because it became the 'Textile Capital of the World' while many areas in the south including Charleston still tried to stick with being agricultural.

Much of what I call the Deep South was mostly agricultural, cotton fields, they weren't trying to industrialize.

The truth is the people who say SC is 'Deep South' are mostly Democrat voters and it is based on their view VA and NC are more 'moderate' than SC. If SC were to vote for Hillary this election, then these same people would remove SC from the 'Deep South' category.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:

You make no sense.How is Clemson and Georia Tech in the conference but only SC cannot be Deep South?
States in Dark Red are DEEP SOUTH. Every reference I found on the Deep South has SC in it so regardless of what you think,you are so wrong.SC is very much Deep South
Attached Thumbnails
Pacific Northwest vs. Deep South - which has better cities & scenery?-deep_south_map.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.