Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:37 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times

Advertisements

I spent 2 weeks among some Bostonians (long story) and it seemed they make a really big deal about which neighbourhood they live in, grew up in.etc. Some nabes are equated with being rich/poor/tough, particularly Irish/Italian/Black.etc, it was interesting, kind of like watching an old movie. Personally I've not been anywhere where there is the same degree of pride in where one grew up.

There are people who are proud to be 'Northies' or 'Southies', or talk about gangs from even the outer areas like Quincy. It seems this is more prevalent among the working class, although I'm sure many will pridefully tell you about how they live in Beacon Hill or something.

What other cities do you find this?

I think obviously New York, then Philly, then probably Chicago and the rest. This actually seems to occur in LA more than other cities, even among people who aren't associated with gangs. People will talk about being 'Valley girls', from the coast, the San Gabriel valley, being from OC instead of LA County etc. It doesn't seem it's that strong in SF although I may be wrong..

Are there any other cities outside the NE and maybe some older Midwestern cities, and perhaps LA, and New Orleans, where people always talk about which hood they're from.etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 10:04 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,743,454 times
That's Everyhood USA... everybody reps where they're from. As far as where it's more ingrained in the culture though, I'd say NYC and LA more than other places... they're big enough where simply saying you're from NYC or LA loses its significance even when you're talking to people who aren't from those places. With other cities you generally say you're from x city when speaking with outsiders but when you're talking to locals you say what part of town you're from because the city by itself doesn't hold significance... people rep their neighborhoods because the neighborhoods symbolize what they went through growing up in them.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:21 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,094 times
LOL at the title. Any city or metro or what have you reps their hood strong. But i think East Coast cities and midwest cities have the most pride in their city and neighborhood.

Rappers from New York alway scream their hood or project (jay'z and marcy)

I know Chicago is like this (just listen to any random chief keef song)

Old 06-25-2012, 01:38 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,386 times
Houston and Texas in general. People there ALWAYS put where they are from in your face. I know of "Oakcliff" in Dallas and "Sunnyside, 5th Ward, South Park, Southwest, Northside, Acres, etc." in Houston just from listening to guys from there always bring it up.

Despite the huge transplant population, the natives of Atlanta with family roots there that go far back always talk about the "Zones" or some random roads in East Point, College Park, DeKalb County, etc.

New Orleans is the same way with the "Wards."

Memphis is the same way with people always talking about "North Memphis, South Memphis, South Parkway, Orange Mound, etc"

Country boys from random places down in the south love to tell you, with pride, what county they are from.

Although screaming a "county" name is mostly done by people from rural unheard of places, the people in metropolitan cities in Florida do the same. I almost get tired of hearing them scream DUVAL!!! (Jacksonville), Dade!! (Miami), Broward!!! (Ft. Lauderdale, etc.), etc

Detroit people are always talking about 6 Mile, 7 Mile, Puritan, Gratiot, etc

No offense, but as much of a landslide as the big 3 (NYC, LA and Chicago) or other older established cities on the East Coast (Philly, Boston) win over most other cities when it comes to density, population, amenities, economy, etc. ....no one can tell me that just because they are bigger, older, etc. than most of the cities I just named, they "rep"..."love" or have more "pride" in being where they are from than people in any of the places I just named or several others I didnt.

Personally, I think Texas edges everybody out.

If you want to talk about rappers, NYC and LA natives dont mention their cities or hoods any more than rappers from Memphis, Houston, Miami, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, etc. They FOR SURE dont pat themselves on the back as much Houston. You dont ever hear those guys NOT talking about their car/candy paint, syrup, DJ Screw influenced music, southern, laid back "H-Town" culture.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 06-25-2012 at 01:49 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 01:52 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,511,478 times
Santa Cruz, California--people who are born there and who've never left, never ever shut up ever about what side of town they are from or where they grew up surfing. Eastside, westside, West Cliff Drive, East Cliff Drive... Everyone has to have a Santa Cruz sticker on their truck and shout down anyone from the Valley or born somewhere else.

Hey, it's really as good an answer as any...

Old 06-25-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
LOL at the title. Any city or metro or what have you reps their hood strong. But i think East Coast cities and midwest cities have the most pride in their city and neighborhood.

Rappers from New York alway scream their hood or project (jay'z and marcy)

I know Chicago is like this (just listen to any random chief keef song)
This is funny. I've saw this guys name around and hadn't listened to him at all before browsing through his songs, just today, a couple hours ago before seeing this thread. He'd be a poor example to show "reppin" Chicago, bouncing around with dreadlocks and "trap" instrumentals like he's from Atlanta or Florida.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:00 PM

163 posts, read 259,279 times
D.C. point blank period. Cats die over there hood here.... same for Prince George's County, MD.
There are no bloods, crips, etc here in the DC area dudes just rep they hoods to the fullest.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:12 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,483 times
New York definitely.

Most teenagers/young adults wears a big NY/yankees baseball cap everywhere.

Plus when most new york guys leave state they make it known that there from new york since its a well known fact that girls love new york guys

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 06-25-2012 at 03:27 PM..

Old 06-25-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
New York definitely.

Most teenagers/young adults wears a big NY/yankees baseball cap everywhere.

Plus when most new york guys leave state they make it known that there from new york since its a well known fact that girls love new york guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptkid View Post
D.C. point blank period. Cats die over there hood here.... same for Prince George's County, MD.
There are no bloods, crips, etc here in the DC area dudes just rep they hoods to the fullest.

....and you guys dont think this goes on in Atlanta, Houston, Miami, Detroit or any where else???
Teens and Young Adults in the ATL, St. Louis, Detroit, etc. rock their respective MLB team caps just as hard.

What makes someone "reppin" Queensbridge any more prideful or authentic than dudes yelling out 7 mile or 6 mile in Detroit? NORTH NORTH for North Memphis? 5th Ward Houston? Just because it's NY???

Also, girls like ANYBODY that's different from what they're used to. It goes both ways. I know big city girls who talk about how much they love a "country boy."

I remember after Katrina when a New Orleans female told me she liked us "Georgia Boys" because we weren't filled with "War Wounds" (Bullet, Stabbing Wounds) like the dudes she was used to in N.O.

As a teen in the late 90s, I was visiting family in East Orange, NJ and drew extra attention from the girls outside in the neighborhood while hanging out with my cousins from up there. They were intrigued by my accent and what it was like "down south." So "Girls Love NY Dudes" doesnt really mean anything.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:01 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
This is funny. I've saw this guys name around and hadn't listened to him at all before browsing through his songs, just today, a couple hours ago before seeing this thread. He'd be a poor example to show "reppin" Chicago, bouncing around with dreadlocks and "trap" instrumentals like he's from Atlanta or Florida.
Yeah he sucks but he reps his hood in almost every song that i've heard from him. Something that alot of chicago rappers before him never really did(except twista and maybe common). Like they scream what side they're from but they wont go into detail like their specific neighborhood or street ect. Im not a fan of chief keefs music but I respect what he's doing especially at 16 years old. Plus his music is mostly for Partying and playing in the car.

As for your earlier post, I do agree that people from new orleans and Atlanta definitley have neighborhood pride in their zones and wards. Small towns all across America also have intense pride So this is not something reserved for big cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City