U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2007, 11:51 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,960,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Thats exactly what I am talking about. Santa Barbara is spectacular,Ive been there.Now, head 50-75-100 miles inland and you start to hit, lets call them dead spots of the globe.Its a tradeoff out west. You have real high highs but even more real low lows.

You go 200- 300-400 miles inland from the atlantic coast and its all beautiful.Every acre of land can be farmed,fished or mined. The east coast was meant to be lived upon. Phoenix wasn't meant to be lived upon, Barstow wasn't meant to be lived upon, Las Vegas wasn't meant to be lived upon unless you are scorpion, copperhead or vulture.
You just described the differences between both coasts. The West is full of extremes--the good places are rich enclaves. The poor and the middle class have to live in those dead spots inland. It's like a second world country.

In the East, everyone rich or poor, urban or rural experiences the same misery and the same joy. I don't like being fooled that the temperature on a summer day in L.A. is much cooler than Houston right then. That cooler temperature only applies to the Basin not everywhere else in the area like Palmdale. The misery and the joy is shared equally in the East, whether on the coast or inland. It's still true here on the Gulf Coast. Go up U.S. 59 through the beautiful Piney Woods region of TEXAS. The beauty is not confined just in the cities unlike in the West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 12:38 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,399,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Thats exactly what I am talking about. Santa Barbara is spectacular,Ive been there.Now, head 50-75-100 miles inland and you start to hit, lets call them dead spots of the globe.Its a tradeoff out west. You have real high highs but even more real low lows.

You go 200- 300-400 miles inland from the atlantic coast and its all beautiful.Every acre of land can be farmed,fished or mined. The east coast was meant to be lived upon. Phoenix wasn't meant to be lived upon, Barstow wasn't meant to be lived upon, Las Vegas wasn't meant to be lived upon unless you are scorpion, copperhead or vulture.
That is your opinion and I respect it: home is where the heart is

That stated: the eastern USA sucks for me hence my 'walking the talk' and moving this way almost 30 years ago

Old 09-30-2007, 01:29 PM

2,770 posts, read 5,346,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Actually, none of the small areas that are growing faster than Phoenix are metro areas, they're all micropolitan areas (too small to be classified as metros).

Phoenix is the fastest growing METRO in the country.

Apology withdrawn.
You realllly should resubmit the apology and here's why:

Fastest-growing metro areas - Aug. 22, 2006

I provided this link before and you apparently didn't read it. It CLEARLY states that in sheer numbers, Atlanta's metro added more people than any other metro area. Yes-it cites big 'gainers' such as Dallas and Phoenix, but big gainers doesn't make it the 'fastest growing.

Micropolitan areas are listed separately
So Phoenix IS NOT the fastest growing metro

Old 09-30-2007, 02:12 PM

1,732 posts, read 3,972,921 times
That list is Bogus....L.A Metro is the Fastest Growing Region,and here's the reason why.

L.A Metro is composed of the 5 County Region of L.A-Riverside-San Bernardino-Orange-Ventura,but yet only Riverside and San Bernardino are represented on that list ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
You realllly should resubmit the apology and here's why:

Fastest-growing metro areas - Aug. 22, 2006

I provided this link before and you apparently didn't read it. It CLEARLY states that in sheer numbers, Atlanta's metro added more people than any other metro area. Yes-it cites big 'gainers' such as Dallas and Phoenix, but big gainers doesn't make it the 'fastest growing.

Micropolitan areas are listed separately
So Phoenix IS NOT the fastest growing metro

Old 09-30-2007, 02:22 PM

Here's another from the US Census Bureau. I'm merely providing my finds:

US Census Press Releases (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/population/009865.html - broken link)

Old 09-30-2007, 03:15 PM

I found it Very odd how Jersey and PA are included in NYC Metro,but Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario is not included with L.A Metro ???

L.A's Metro is not 13 Million,but rather close to 18 Million.

Like i've said in my previous post....Metro L.A is composed of 5 Counties,but yet on this list they are dividing Metro L.A in half,and I don't even see Ventura County on that list,which is also a part of Metro L.A.

Here's proof that Metro L.A is the Fastest Growing.

Numerical Growth from April 1, 2000-July 1, 2006 (Ventura Excluded)

Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, Calif. 771,314
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, Calif. 584,510

Total Numerical Growth For Metro L.A from 2000-2006
(1,355,824)

Quote:
Here's another from the US Census Bureau. I'm merely providing my finds:

US Census Press Releases (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/population/009865.html - broken link)

Old 09-30-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
I found it Very odd how Jersey and PA are included in NYC Metro,but Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario is not included with L.A Metro ???

L.A's Metro is not 13 Million,but rather close to 18 Million.

Like i've said in my previous post....Metro L.A is composed of 5 Counties,but yet on this list they are dividing Metro L.A in half,and I don't even see Ventura County on that list,which is also a part of Metro L.A.

Here's proof that Metro L.A is the Fastest Growing.

Numerical Growth from April 1, 2000-July 1, 2006 (Ventura Excluded)

Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, Calif. 771,314
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, Calif. 584,510

Total Numerical Growth For Metro L.A from 2000-2006
(1,355,824)
Sections of Connecticut are also included in NYC's metro so who knows what the number would be? And who knows how the US census divides their figures? The Greater LA area doesn't necessarily mean it's metro proper. Just like the Greater NYC area is much more than just on that list

ps: you should write a letter to the US Census Bureau, voice your concerns

Old 09-30-2007, 03:20 PM

21,148 posts, read 37,399,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
That I find weird as well.

Especially factoring in there is the Port Authority of NY and NJ (I hope I got the wording correct).

And the Wash DC metro area includes part of Maryland as well as NoVa (Northern Virginia) so three states are involved.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
That I find weird as well.

Especially factoring in there is the Port Authority of NY and NJ (I hope I got the wording correct).

And the Wash DC metro area includes part of Maryland as well as NoVa (Northern Virginia) so three states are involved.
The Port Authority of NY & NJ is just a bi-state agency that regulates major travel ports/sites in the NY/Northern NJ area

Metro areas are not necessarily bound or confined by state boundaries

Old 09-30-2007, 04:14 PM

I wouldn't bother writing to them,since they have their own methods of defining a Metro Area,while out here in CA we have our own methods as well.

Quote:
ps: you should write a letter to the US Census Bureau, voice your concerns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or