U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2007, 06:50 PM

3,517 posts, read 11,799,092 times

Advertisements

I'm prejudiced with my own perspective like everybody else, but I have lived for a long time on both coasts. Both have their charms and not so charming aspects. I prefer the west coast but also appreciate the east coast.

The east coast has a much longer history and the cities are much older. There are some places that are medieval (downtown Boston, for example) in origin with spooky graveyards. Its really interesting and you can feel like you can reach back in time 400 years. Because of the preference for colonial architecture, even the plastic subdivision's generic houses are more attractive on the whole than in most places in the west. But there are places in the west with neat looks to them (San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, e.g.). The countryside is uniformly bucolic with pleasant and green farms. It stays green (most years) in the east except in the winter. The fall is stunningly glorious in the east as the great eastern hardwood forests put on their spectacular show of colors. The true 4 seasons that match the calendar are nice. Manhattan is an amazing city unlike any other on earth. And the food is so wonderful. All the different little neighborhoods are fascinating. Despite its bad rap, I found the vast majority of the people there to be perfectly nice and the crime cleanup has really helped it. It is very expensive. Boston is also a really interesting city but the drivers are probably the worst in the country. DC is unique with a lot of really interesting and free history and museums. The humid summers are not pleasant. I was not pleased with southern food. Some of the worst meals of my life were in places that bragged about their fine southern cooking.

The west coast is more laid back in both good and aggravating ways. When paying for a service, a lackadaisical attitude is not good. But overly stressing is not good either. The west is full of dramatic and stunning scenery. Almost everywhere, a half hour drive yields dramatically different scenery whereas in the east, a day's drive is not all that different than where you started. The east has a pleasant landscape, the west has dramatic, breathtaking landscapes. In the east, they make mountains out of molehills. Bicycling is much nicer in the west because they have shoulders on most of the roads so you don't have to ride in the same lane as cars. My favorite west coast cities are San Francisco, Seattle and Portland, then San Diego. I don't care for LA. There's great food in all the cities with the best fish in Seattle. Some of the most creative chefs are there using the great bounty of vegetables available in the milder climate on the west coast. But, the east coast cities can boast some really great chefs too. California summers except right on the coastlines are brutally hot and dry. It's much nicer in the Pac NW.

Viva la difference!

But the very best Mexican food I've ever had was in a little hole in the wall in Dodge City, KS of all places.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 10:30 PM

5,256 posts, read 12,563,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
This is one of the biggest misnomers going imo.^^ All you have to do is look at Google live earth for 45 seconds and the proof is in the satellite imaging.

Concerning natural beauty I'll give you the wests icons are exceptional(Ranier,Tahoe,Yosemite etc) and the coastal landscape is impressive but overall the east coasts natural beauty surpasses the west and its not even close.

You go 30 miles west of Mount Ranier/Tahoe for instance and its completely uninhabitable.If you put a blindfold on someone and transported them to central wash/oregon and asked them if they are in Wash/Org.or if they were on Uranus they would have to think long and hard about the answer. Whereas the east goes 300-400 miles deep of incredible uninterrupted valleys/woodlands,mountains from the coast until the midwest.

No contest acre per acre. East Coast hands down.

Vermont

Maine

Key West
You've mentioned this before but imo if you take both coast overall from uninhabitable places to the major cities the west coast is the clear winner in my book. Yes parts of Maine, Vermont and Florida are quite beautiful but nothing like what I see out here.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:29 PM

8,185 posts, read 21,745,007 times
I was born and raised on the West Coast and I now live on the East Coast. The East Coast has more history, is older, but to be honest-I really don't see much of a difference. There are regional nuances, but you'll find that everywhere. The South and the Midwest are completely different-then you have the Great Lakes states that some claim are in the Midwest, and others in the Northeast.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:40 AM

4,887 posts, read 12,193,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
You've mentioned this before but imo if you take both coast overall from uninhabitable places to the major cities the west coast is the clear winner in my book. Yes parts of Maine, Vermont and Florida are quite beautiful but nothing like what I see out here.
No, not parts of Maine and Vermont are nice, all of Vermont/Maine are nice, along with CT,NH,NY,Mass,Pa,,NJ,DE,Md,Va,Wva,NC,SC,Ga,Fla. The sheer
quantity of pleasant landscape on the east coast dwarfs that of the west coast-the east coast is very gifted in regards to landscape thanks to the atlantic coast,Piedmont and sprawling Appalachian Mts.. West coasters seem to have a bit of tunnel vision in regards to this issue. Its great to have regional pride but when it begins to interfere with reality it becomes a drawback. If you asked a group of geologist to compare the overall beauty of Maine to that of Washington state, Maine wins that contest in a landslide.

The big cities argument is about as subjective as you can get. You prefer Seattle-SF-LA, and I would agree the quality of life is more pleasant on the west coast.But to say Sea-SF-LA are better cities than NY-Bost-Phil-DC is a completely subjective matter.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:03 AM

7,962 posts, read 16,775,537 times
Quote:

GAME,SET,MATCH.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:17 AM

5,256 posts, read 12,563,108 times
Quote:
No, not parts of Maine and Vermont are nice, all of Vermont/Maine are nice, along with CT,NH,NY,Mass,Pa,,NJ,DE,Md,Va,Wva,NC,SC,Ga,Fla. The sheer
quantity of pleasant landscape on the east coast dwarfs that of the west coast-the east coast is very gifted in regards to landscape thanks to the atlantic coast,Piedmont and sprawling Appalachian Mts.. West coasters seem to have a bit of tunnel vision in regards to this issue. Its great to have regional pride but when it begins to interfere with reality it becomes a drawback. If you asked a group of geologist to compare the overall beauty of Maine to that of Washington state, Maine wins that contest in a landslide.

The big cities argument is about as subjective as you can get. You prefer Seattle-SF-LA, and I would agree the quality of life is more pleasant on the west coast.But to say Sea-SF-LA are better cities than NY-Bost-Phil-DC is a completely subjective matter.
I never said one city was better than the other. I simply prefer west coast cities and west coast beauty. 'It's all subjective' is absolutely right. I certainly don't need a group of geologist to tell me which is more beautiful.
It's certainly not 'tunnel vision' either. In my lifetime I've done a lot of travel and I've been up and down both areas many times. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:10 PM

1,992 posts, read 5,921,246 times
Quote:

Bro you seem to have some sort of bizarre vendetta against Washington state. First you claim that the skyline of Seattle is only significant because of Mt Rainier (which by your estimation is over 100 miles away and is only visible from Seattle when looking through the Hubble telescope), and now you claim that a group of geologists would deem Washington's topography inferior to Maine's...Beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder, but I think a large group of people would disagree with you there.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:23 PM

4,887 posts, read 12,193,593 times
Quote:
I never said one city was better than the other. I simply prefer west coast cities and west coast beauty.

No problem then. I must have misinterpreted your post.

I could have sworn you said(declared) the west coasts landscape is far superior to that the east coast(which is a very very debatable subject, thus my knee-jerk reaction)If you said you "prefer" west coast landscape then I apologize wholeheartedly.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:16 PM

8 posts, read 35,390 times
Cool You East Coasterz Are STUPID

WE$T COA$T 4 LYFE. We got excellente food. Great Mexican and Chinese, and quality pizza places. So, shut up. We got the best cities. LA, SD, SF, Oakland, Long Beach, Sacctown, Portland, Seattle, Tacoma, Spokane. We got better weather. If u want palm trees and sun all the time, go to SoCal. If you want sun with moderate weather in the 60s and 70s most of the time, go to THA BAY. If you want "cool" weather go to the northwest. Seattle is hecka tight. East coast sucks. r u kiddin me? Rude nasty people lots of traffic, honking, disrespect, wanna-be tough people, horrible weather. too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer. never just right. worst mexican food i have ever had. so shut up and go cry in your pillow. nevah diss the west coast.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:21 PM

146 posts, read 623,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam98 View Post
WE$T COA$T 4 LYFE. We got excellente food. Great Mexican and Chinese, and quality pizza places. So, shut up. We got the best cities. LA, SD, SF, Oakland, Long Beach, Sacctown, Portland, Seattle, Tacoma, Spokane. We got better weather. If u want palm trees and sun all the time, go to SoCal. If you want sun with moderate weather in the 60s and 70s most of the time, go to THA BAY. If you want "cool" weather go to the northwest. Seattle is hecka tight. East coast sucks. r u kiddin me? Rude nasty people lots of traffic, honking, disrespect, wanna-be tough people, horrible weather. too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer. never just right. worst mexican food i have ever had. so shut up and go cry in your pillow. nevah diss the west coast.
This guy makes the best case for the east coast on this thread yet.

In all seriousness, though. either coast is great. I'm avoiding this debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or