U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 08:19 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,146,194 times

Advertisements

The Bestcoast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 08:19 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,236,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
Also I remember visiting Alaska when I was younger and we where on a tour in a forest and for some reason I remember the guide stating the park was as big (or bigger?) than the state of Georgia can anyone correct this or know what park it is?
There are a couple of HUGE parks up there. Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve is over 13 million acres all by itself. Gates of the Arctic is 7.5 million. NOATAK N PRESERVE is 6.5 million. All from: NPS Frequently Asked Questions

Old 03-20-2009, 08:34 PM

6,967 posts, read 17,801,019 times
i agree that both coasts have a-list idiots

Old 03-20-2009, 08:59 PM

1,694 posts, read 4,965,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
There are a couple of HUGE parks up there. Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve is over 13 million acres all by itself. Gates of the Arctic is 7.5 million. NOATAK N PRESERVE is 6.5 million. All from: NPS Frequently Asked Questions
Ah alright,thank you.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:01 PM

1,694 posts, read 4,965,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
East Coast all the way, the East Coast is getting out of the recession faster than the west coast is!!! But Detroit is in a straight up "DEPRESSION"...Plus the West Coast has few major cities (LA, San Fran, San Diego, [I refuse to say San Jose], Orange County [It's pretty known across the nation], Portland, and Seattle), while the East Coast has (in deciding order) Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington D.C., Charlotte, Atlanta, and Miami....We really have more than that but I'm trying to be fair, because could have said: Hartford, NJ (as a whole), Richmond, Raleigh, Jacksonville, and Tampa)!!! The Northeast portions of the East Coast are nearly populated as the West Coast!!! The Northeast has 54,680,626 residents, while the West Coast has 50-60 million residents!!! Plus no city in the nation has more power than D.C. or NYC!!!
Yay for population density!

Old 03-21-2009, 01:31 AM

343 posts, read 1,234,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Look up "North Maine Woods". You're wrong about no where on the East Coast being 300 or 400 square miles of wilderness. .)
I never said 300 square miles. I said 300 miles long. The state of Maine is not even 400 miles long.

I am not saying their is no wilderness on the east coast. I am just saying you do not see as large swaths of it as you do out west. The experience one has on the applachian trail is much different then one has on the pacific crest trail.

Just to give you an idea of how big some of the national parks out west are:

Yellowstone is almost the size of the whole state of Connecticut.
Glacier National Park in Montana, and Olympic National Park in Washington state are both around the size of Deleware. Wrangell St Elias park is the size of west Virgina.

That is not even half the parks!! I'm just saying the geology of the west is much more diverse then the east. That does not take away from some of the great historical significance of eastern cities. Its just from an outdoorsman stand points its not the same to compare the too really.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:18 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,077,702 times
Alll caucasians should vote for our mother atlantic........

Old 03-24-2009, 08:11 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,258,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
East Coast all the way, the East Coast is getting out of the recession faster than the west coast is!!! But Detroit is in a straight up "DEPRESSION"...Plus the West Coast has few major cities (LA, San Fran, San Diego, [I refuse to say San Jose]...
Because it would weaken your sorry argument?

Old 03-24-2009, 08:23 PM

33 posts, read 119,351 times
West

no contest

Old 03-25-2009, 03:48 PM

66 posts, read 228,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
I never said 300 square miles. I said 300 miles long. The state of Maine is not even 400 miles long.

I am not saying their is no wilderness on the east coast. I am just saying you do not see as large swaths of it as you do out west. The experience one has on the applachian trail is much different then one has on the pacific crest trail.

Just to give you an idea of how big some of the national parks out west are:

Yellowstone is almost the size of the whole state of Connecticut.
Glacier National Park in Montana, and Olympic National Park in Washington state are both around the size of Deleware. Wrangell St Elias park is the size of west Virgina.

That is not even half the parks!! I'm just saying the geology of the west is much more diverse then the east. That does not take away from some of the great historical significance of eastern cities. Its just from an outdoorsman stand points its not the same to compare the too really.
This just isn't true. Alot of upstate NY is one big park. Some info on The Adirondacks:

From wikipedia:
It is the largest park in the contiguous United States, the largest National Historic Landmark, and the largest area protected by any U.S. state.
The park covers some 6.1 million acres (24,700 km˛), a land area about the size of Vermont, or of the Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Glacier, and Great Smoky Mountains National Parks combined.

That's just one park. We have plenty.
That said, I do think the West have more impressive landscapes generally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or