U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 02:44 PM

136 posts, read 466,180 times

Advertisements

Yes, those tacos shops--the west coast wins the award for beat tacos, and Mexican food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 09:20 AM

82 posts, read 75,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerinepuddle View Post
Who here has lived on both for at least a year? What were the BIGGEST differences you noticed?

People -
Climate - well I guess that's a no-brainer, we all know the differences, the main ones being more snow in the NE and the humidity all down the east coast

Work ethics?

Attitudes?

Any other subject?

Maybe this thread has been done before, but I am relatively new to this forum. I grew up in the NE, lived in the Southwest for a while, and have now been on the west coast for over a year. I have my own observations, which I will share, but am curious about others?
I have lived on both coasts but it is still very hard to generalize. For instance, California takes up much of the west coast but northern CA and southern CA are like 2 completely different states. Florida and New England might as well be on 2 different continents.

I strongly prefer the weather on the left coast (best coast in my book), due to the lack of humidity and - mountain areas excluded -the considerably more moderate temperatures from San Diego to Seattle. Also, my allergies do not drive me crazy and give me sinus infections the way they did everywhere I lived on the east coast (FL, MA, NH, PA) and I don't get bronchitis every winter like I did in MA, NH, PA or break my back shoveling snow in those same states. Where I live in the CA east bay I enjoy mild temperatures most of the year, cool nights and I can go from the beach to ski-ing at Tahoe in a few hours. Hard to beat!
The humidity in the south is oppressive. You walk outside a good part of the year and want to walk right back in. It is suffocating and keeps people locked inside in the A/C. To me this equals a low quality of life and more health issues. Florida is, of course, absolutely beautiful all winter though, and New England is a sight to behold in the fall.

Attitudes - I think they vary tremendously as well. In general the west coast is more relaxed and more accepting of people's differences, also much more diverse than the east coast. However, I grew up in Philly and find the people quite similar to the people where I live now in Oakland, CA.- very down to earth. The people in New England are good people but it is VERY hard to break into social groups there. Many have known each other since grade school. They are Not looking for new friends and are suspicious of "outsider's." I found it to be a lonely place to live. The extreme weather doesn't help either and being snowed in for days on end never helped anyone's sociability. Of course this is no doubt similar to mountain towns in the west.

Food - Overall the west cost wins hands down. The food out here is fresh, eclectic and never boring. We have fresh fruits and veggies all year-round plus the number of ethnic restaurants is outstanding. I have had Thai food so good in Nor Cal that it literally made life worth livingand the food (and WINE!) in Sonoma County and even southern Oregon...so good...
However, I still miss those Philly cheese steaks!

Last edited by MaireM; 09-24-2015 at 09:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or