Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2007, 11:25 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times

Advertisements

Actually, if you want safety, NY is not the place. You have a better chance of witnessing a homicide in NYC than you do in LA. You see, LA is larger in area and has less homicides than NYC, while NYC is smaller in area and has more homicides. So within one square mile of NYC, 2 murders will take place, while in one square mile of LA .6 murders will take place, approximately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 12:57 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
as if having a higher cahnce of being killed is a GOOD thing
Yeah, crime rates are hardly something of which to be proud. Even though I will agree that East Coast cities tend to have more violent crime than West Coast cities, it's pretty messed-up that you'd want to brag about that. Some use that as a way to make us sound tougher, but I am personally devastated and angered by the fact that gun crime still plagues our urban cores. Philadelphia, for example, makes the top ten largest cities for gun murders, and every time I hear about a gun murder on the local news, I'm hardly, like "yeah, that's how we roll..." I think of how awful it must be for innocent people in crime-ridden neighborhoods to live among these criminals -- that they have to fear for their lives just going about a normal day.

Moral of the story: let's stop glorifying this ghetto "gun culture." It's only perpetuating an already difficult problem to solve.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:02 PM

Here's an article from this year about the Brooklyn North 64% crime increase...
SURGE IN SLAYINGS SHOCKS BROOKLYN

Old 10-06-2007, 07:43 PM

345 posts, read 976,671 times
Umm....let's see.

East Coast--beaches that are good for swimming?

West Coast--beaches that are good for surfing?

Discuss.

(Anything to get the thread away from NY v. LA, McDonalds and rap lyrics and back to its purpose...)

Old 10-06-2007, 10:46 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,747,524 times
Default Please Note

Any further attempts to hijack this thread to turn it into a debate about NYC/LA gangs etc. will result in infractions being issued to the posters.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
L. A. basher, indirect. Passive/aggressive. You are right about the 'amenities', but you illustrate my original position. By stating "to each his own" you are being subjective. The 'vibe' sucks to you, and the positive aspects of living in Los Angeles still remain, and are very material! Just ask, again, the hundreds of thousands of transplants from your area. You'll hear that so-called special belly laugh all over L. A., Roseba, improving our diversity every day!
Nobody is improving your diversity. Your diversity is diminishing rapidly. According to recent stats, LA is losing its native population to places like NYC, Chicago, Houston, and Miami, while the people that are making a noticeable accumulation in Los Angeles are Hispanic. Almost 50% of Los Angeles is Hispanic. Is this diversity? I think not.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:09 AM

What was the point of posting those pics? I was clearly discussing the diversity and demographics, and all of a sudden pics pop up quoting my reply to the thread? Oh, God, not another one... These clueless Angelenos just keep coming and coming.

Some of those pics prove my point. Los Angeles is unattractive to the true urbanite. It's attractive to the suburbanite (not really), but to a TRUE ubranite, it's the last place we'd live in. Look at the sprawl, you even posted a pic of TRAFFIC, you posted scenery (which I said was nice earlier).

But let's be serious, what do people go to a city for? They go to experience a mother****ing CITY! Not to hike in the damn woods, not to watch deer, not to go to the fricking beach. We go to experience the hustle and bustle of people, not cows. We want skyscrapers, architecture, history, walkability, density, diversity, public transportation, street vendors on every corner, street performers at the subway station, a saxophone player in Central Park, business people carrying their brief case WALKING to work, etc. This is exactly why NYC is the place to be for the urbanite. This is exactly why this forum is "bias" towards East Coast cities. This is a forum urban lovers go to. You want to glorify Los Angeles? Head over to the E! forums, head over to the Soccer Mom forums. But no matter what, NYC and Chicago will always be glorified and dominate city forums.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:22 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinPete View Post
wow such anger coming from you future. Typical New York animosity towards Los Angeles. Feel free to post up pics of Scarsdale, NY so we can judge
Actually Scarsdale is in Suburban Westchester County. He should post HIS pics of Manhattan and the other boroughs instead.

Those pics of West L.A., especially the picture of the intersection of Santa Monica and Wilshire Boulevards, describe why I love L.A. The entire Westside is my favorite part of the West (unless if my future visit to San Francisco steals my heart).

Old 10-09-2007, 01:51 PM

I have an animosity of Angelenos who act like their city is superior because of Hollywood. I have an animosity towards fakeness, boring architecture, car-cultured cities, who then act like they are the true city on the forum and stick their noses up. They're nothing but a bunch of softies who can't take THE CITY, they have to live in suburbia Southern California.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:49 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,008,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
What was the point of posting those pics? I was clearly discussing the diversity and demographics, and all of a sudden pics pop up quoting my reply to the thread? Oh, God, not another one... These clueless Angelenos just keep coming and coming.

Some of those pics prove my point. Los Angeles is unattractive to the true urbanite. It's attractive to the suburbanite (not really), but to a TRUE ubranite, it's the last place we'd live in. Look at the sprawl, you even posted a pic of TRAFFIC, you posted scenery (which I said was nice earlier).

But let's be serious, what do people go to a city for? They go to experience a mother****ing CITY! Not to hike in the damn woods, not to watch deer, not to go to the fricking beach. We go to experience the hustle and bustle of people, not cows. We want skyscrapers, architecture, history, walkability, density, diversity, public transportation, street vendors on every corner, street performers at the subway station, a saxophone player in Central Park, business people carrying their brief case WALKING to work, etc. This is exactly why NYC is the place to be for the urbanite. This is exactly why this forum is "bias" towards East Coast cities. This is a forum urban lovers go to. You want to glorify Los Angeles? Head over to the E! forums, head over to the Soccer Mom forums. But no matter what, NYC and Chicago will always be glorified and dominate city forums.
I think it's difficult to try and describe what ALL urbanites are looking for. I find it more than hilarious that you believe the qualities that urbanites look for match perfectly with qualities that New York has. If all urbanites desired thousands of mostly bland skyscrapers, filthy public transportation, tired saxophone players in Central Park, and annoying subway performers trying to siphon money out of your pockets by putting on some crappy performance, we'd all live in New York. Based on your post, it's a wonder that urbanites in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, Portland, and Denver aren't tripping over and stomping each other to death in an attempt to get the unearthly experience of living in the urban paradise that is New York .

Los Angeles, with its old, congested freeways, horrendous inland pollution, extreme crime rate, constant severe earthquake risk, is still appealing to some. Mixed into all of that you have world-class museums, dense skyscrapers in downtown LA, a few walkable neighborhoods, a subway system, street vendors, and diversity that surpasses any area of New York, with the exception of Queens. On top of that you have nice beaches, numerous recreational areas within a very short distance, and nice year-round weather.

You mention that urbanites don't care about recreation - such as mountain, forests, and beaches. I guess that's why so many New Yorkers frequent Central Park , or flee to the Hamptons, Montauk, Riis and Jones beaches, the Jersey Shore, Martha's Vineyard, the Poconos, and Maine on a regular basis.

I still find it interesting that you, yourself, are a suburban resident, but you have appointed yourself as the spokesman for urbanism. I have lived in Brooklyn, and believe me, Scarsdale isn't on anyone's radar. You certainly don't speak for all New Yorkers. For me, the West coast is truly the best coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City