Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:37 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,392,168 times

Advertisements

I was a little drunk last night when I posted, so I realize some of the stuff I posted was incorrect/offensive...here's some corrections:

U of A is not a good school period

U of A is a good school, I was confusing it with ASU, which has a less-than-stellar reputation. However, I've heard it actually isn't a bad school aside from what most people say.

You listed 6 schools that are actually West Coast schools, and 3 of them are public.

7 schools, 4 public.

You're theory that all the people going to these "East Coast Elitist" colleges is completely false

Your theory that all the people going to these "East Coast Elitist" colleges are blue-blooded "Trust-Fund Babies" is completely false.

For some reason after awhile they won't allow you to edit your posts, so that's why I had to write a new post...sorry about the confusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 09:48 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,073,076 times
^ *pfft* Angry drunk Bostonians.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:33 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,801,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
No, Texas is the South.
I agree, it is the south. But what about GA and Fla? Whenever people argue for the eastcoast they included GA, NC, FLA, VA, ect, ect.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:49 AM

784 posts, read 2,257,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
Harvard University - Private
Princeton University - Private
Yale University - Private
University of Pennsylvania - Private
Columbia University - Private
Duke University - Private
Cornell University - Private
Johns Hopkins University - Private
Brown University - Private
Emory University - Private
Carnegie Mellon University - Private
Georgetown University - Private
University of Virginia. - Public

Now let's look at the Best colleges out in the West:

University of California, Berkeley - Public [Ivy]
University of California, Los Angeles - Public [Ivy]
University of Southern California - Private
Stanford University - Private
California Institute of Technology - Private
Rice University - Private
University of Washington - Public [Ivy]
University of Texas at Austin - Public [Ivy]
University of Minnesota - Public
University of Colorado at Boulder - Public [Ivy]
University of Arizona - Public [Ivy]

Does anyone notices a pattern between all of the best "colleges" of the East and those out West.

The point is that the East may have a lot of things to offer, but let's be real, it's mostly geared to those who are already financially established, i.e. have a ton of money (mainly through trust-funds or inheritances), while out West, one has the mobility to improve his or her standard of living at a more reasonable cost. And PS: this can be done out west while dealing with a lesser amount of snobby, condescending, trust-fund having, preppy-turned-yuppie elitists breathing down their necks!

Wow, this has got to be the most innacurate post I have ever read on cd period. I think you should have done a little homework before you just called every west school you could think of Ivy league and neglected the true ivy league schools.

For your lack of understanding what an Ivy league school is, I'll make it simple. There are NO Ivy league schools on the west coast. I will repeat, there are NO Ivy league schools on the west coast. NONE.

Here are the list of Ivy league schools, oddly enough, all on the east coast.

List:
Harvard
Princeton
University of Pensylvania
Yale
Cornell
Columbia
and Brown, there location East coast. All of them..

Those are Ivy league schools. I shudder to think were you might have gotten your information from. Stay in school, you are too good to lose......

And by the way, Yes, I notice a pattern, all of the Ivy league schools are on the east coast. What that has to do with anything I am not sure. There are some nice schools on the west coast, but let's face it the most credited schools are in the east..

Personally from reading your post, I really think that you should take a little time off from your high profile job, and finish your GED. Trust me, Mc'donalds will still be there when you get back!

Old 04-20-2009, 11:49 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,904,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
Wow, this has got to be the most innacurate post I have ever read on cd period. I think you should have done a little homework before you just called every west school you could think of Ivy league and neglected the true ivy league schools.

For your lack of understanding what an Ivy league school is, I'll make it simple. There are NO Ivy league schools on the west coast. I will repeat, there are NO Ivy league schools on the west coast. NONE.

Here are the list of Ivy league schools, oddly enough, all on the east coast.

List:
Harvard
Princeton
University of Pensylvania
Yale
Cornell
Columbia
and Brown, there location East coast. All of them..

Those are Ivy league schools. I shudder to think were you might have gotten your information from. Stay in school, you are too good to lose......

And by the way, Yes, I notice a pattern, all of the Ivy league schools are on the east coast. What that has to do with anything I am not sure. There are some nice schools on the west coast, but let's face it the most credited schools are in the east..

Personally from reading your post, I really think that you should take a little time off from your high profile job, and finish your GED. Trust me, Mc'donalds will still be there when you get back!
One, have you never heard of "Public Ivy" colleges?!?!
Two, you've just prove one thing about the difference between the East and West: Unlike West Cost human beings, East Coast Elitists DON'T HAVE SOULS NOR THE CAPACITY TO BE CRITICAL WITHOUT BEING ANAL AND CONDESCENDING!!! The only thing I might have NOT done my research on is not mentioning that UVA is a "Public Ivy" University.

This proves once and for that the East Coast (particularly the Northeast) is the last region to refer to when it comes to human sincerity, camaraderie, genuineness, and respecting differing opinions. Take a couple of pointers from those out West and come back to me when you actually have a soul!

Last edited by Do a Barrel Roll; 04-20-2009 at 12:27 PM..

Old 04-20-2009, 12:30 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,752,798 times
People - I don't like this one about anywhere. I have traveled the nation enough to realize that there are jerks everywhere and really great people everywhere. I think the whole concept of "Oh, the people in _______ are so nice/nasty" is one that is made up and pushed by ignorant people. It's roughly the same proportions of nice to average to nasty people everywhere in the nation. Demeanors are different; west coast IS more "laid back" demeanor and east coast is more of a no-nonsense, get-things-done demeanor. Which is better? Neither - each has its advantages and disadvantages.

Climate - Depends on where. The climate I hate most is on the west coast but it is not the climate for the whole west coast. I am talking about the Pacific Northwest with all that rain and grey sky. It depresses me (I suffer from SAD). I could not live there very easily at all, despite how nice Seattle and Portland and the surrounding country is there. The weather kills it for me.

The climate I LOVE most is on the West coast also, and that is the Southwestern desert-ish climate. Dry, on the hot side, little rain, lots of sunshine. That's what I love the best.

East coast is pretty much all the same with the exception of Tropical Florida, which I really enjoy except for the rain and humidity. But elsewhere east of the Mississippi it's four seasons, a little or a lot of snow depending how far north or south you are, rainy springs, humid summers, dry, crisp, cool autumns, and cold winters (depending where you are some places get colder and snowier than others). That's it. To me, there's hardly any difference between suburban NJ and suburban Georgia, it all looks very similar. Deciduous trees, grass, brush and weeds, nice gardens and farms - all the same.

Work ethics? - East Coast is more aggressive and harder-working work ethic. West Coast has a nice outlook on life which is to work but not kill yourself working. I like the west coast attitude on this one.

Attitudes? - not uniform on either coast. I think NYC and L.A. have similar attitudes, even though there are differences. Both think they are the center of the world (and for good reason) - I get that vibe from both and I think they're both right to think it. San Fran has its own attitudes, the Southeast coast has a very laid back attitude but is more conservative in contrast to the laid back liberal attitude of the Pacific Northwest.

Any other subject - diversity is dependent upon city - I think NY and L.A. are the most diverse ethnically in the nation. Food, as a result, also goes by city more than "coast" - NY and L.A. to me are the big winners with food. There are cities like Boston, Washington, San Francisco, and Seattle which have great food in terms of "quality" dining, but N.Y. and L.A. win out because they have not only the best top restaurants but the best "common man" eateries. NY City area has the best pizza and Italian food in the nation, and the best bagels unlike anywhere else in the USA. L.A. has the best Mexican food easily, and they have better Armenian and Persian food, plus specialties like In-N-Out burger and Rubio's which are awesome fast-food chains (yes, Rubio's is San Diego originally, but I'd include San Diego with L.A. as "So Cal").

Asian food is a tie. It's more ubiquitous and generally better on the West Coast but very good on the East Coast. NY's Chinatown is as good and has as good or better food than any west coast Chinatown. I found SF's Chinatown disappointing, and L.A.'s little-heard-of Chinatown to be one of its biggest and best surprises, an undiscovered gem. There are fewer asians up and down the east coast though - it's only really the NY/NJ area, and a handful in the boston and philly and DC areas. Hardly any in the Southeast.

As for culture, I grew up in the NY metro area believing that NYC was the cultural mecca for the US (and I still believe that's probably true) and that Los Angeles was a cultural void dominated by Lala-wood. WRONG! L.A.'s art and culture blew me away and I would say it rivals NY city. I think the Getty is a masterpiece and is a great West Coast version of the Met. It's not as big as the Met and it's not the classic old "museum" look of the met, but it's very west coast with innovative, modern design up on the hills, using the perfect So. Cal weather as part of its showcase. Not to mention that LACMA is phenomenal, and that's still not to mention other gems like the Huntington Library, etc.

I think in terms of peculiarity again you have NY and L.A. leading the way with so much diversity and peculiarity of various neighborhoods and ethnic groups. Boston and San Francisco are beautiful cities with histories and they are "pretty".

Jobs, again, NY and LA lead the way. But jobs on both coasts are more plentiful than much of the middle of the nation.

I like the megalopolis in the Northeast. From my home I can reach, within 4 hours either direction, Boston, Philly, Baltimore, Providence, and D.C. Stretch that to 7 hours and I can reach Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Montreal, Canada as well. I love that.

I think Cal. is growing its megalopolises - you have the San Diego - OC - L.A. - Desert Cities - megalopolis, with Vegas and even phoenix within a 5 hour drive. San Fran has the whole bay area - San Jose, Oakland/Berkeley, to Napa, to Sac, with Tahoe and Reno a few more hours away.

My pick????

BOTH - I would want to be bi-coastal, ideally, having been bi-coastal in the past. For now I remain in NJ on the east coast because of family and friends. I do have family in So. Cal though so it's always tempting to go there. Either way, I would be flying a lot between EWR (Newark Airport) and LAX or LAS to visit the other place.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:14 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,392,168 times
Quote:
Two, you've just prove one thing about the difference between the East and West: Unlike West Cost human beings, East Coast Elitists DON'T HAVE SOULS NOR THE CAPACITY TO BE CRITICAL WITHOUT BEING ANAL AND CONDESCENDING!!! The only thing I might have NOT done my research on is not mentioning that UVA is a "Public Ivy" University.

This proves once and for that the East Coast (particularly the Northeast) is the last region to refer to when it comes to human sincerity, camaraderie, genuineness, and respecting differing opinions. Take a couple of pointers from those out West and come back to me when you actually have a soul!
There's nothing anal or condescending about the truth. You're still ignoring the facts.

The original eight Public Ivies

The original eight Public Ivies list by Moll (1985):[2]Moll also offered in the same book "a list of worthy runners-up" and brief summaries of them[7]:I like the touch of adding [Ivy] next to the West Coast schools, but not the public East Coast schools. So the final tally of West Coast "Public Ivy" schools: 3. East Coast "Public Ivy": 9. I would have counted University of Arizona as a West Coast school, but it's not a "Public Ivy" (it's currently ranked as the 45th best public school in the nation)...the whole term "Public Ivy" is stupid to begin with, as there is only one Ivy League, which of course is packed to the brim with soulless, blue-blooded elitisists.

"This proves once and for that the East Coast (particularly the Northeast) is the last region to refer to when it comes to human sincerity, camaraderie, genuineness, and respecting differing opinions."

I particularly like this quote because you claim we don't "respect differing opinions", yet when we present you with cold, hard facts you spout out that we're elitists and we have no human decency! I haven't said a single thing this entire thread to insult the West Coast, I've only presented facts. Slickrick also presented facts, even if he posted in a bit more....colorful manner.

Come back with some solid facts, or just accept the fact that the East Coast has better colleges than the West Coast. It's not the end of the world, and it certainly doesn't make us *******s for supporting our region.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:17 PM

784 posts, read 2,257,578 times
Quote:

Actually I have lived on both coasts, and really don't know which one I prefer. I admit, I was a bit sarcastic, but what you failed to mention was a pretty singnificant point for what you were talking about. Again, schools have little if nothing to do with the OP's question anyway.

As far as you generalizing the whole east coast. Very innacurate and very wrong. That would be like saying that everyone on the west coast surfs. I would be ignorant if I thought that I new the mindset and mannerisms of every east coaster as well as west coaster. There are rude, nice, easy going people on all coasts in all countries. To act as though west coasters are so very friendly and east coasters are all stuck up and snobby is way off. Many people think people from Seattle, San Fran and parts of LA are snobby. Does this mean that all west coast people are? Of course not.

Beyond all of that clear up, I honestly can't say which coast I liked better. I love cities like NY, and I love cities like LA (where I lived). I think both cities have a lot of haters and they both deserve their fair share of respect and appreciation.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:46 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,904,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
Actually I have lived on both coasts, and really don't know which one I prefer. I admit, I was a bit sarcastic, but what you failed to mention was a pretty singnificant point for what you were talking about. Again, schools have little if nothing to do with the OP's question anyway.

As far as you generalizing the whole east coast. Very innacurate and very wrong. That would be like saying that everyone on the west coast surfs. I would be ignorant if I thought that I new the mindset and mannerisms of every east coaster as well as west coaster. There are rude, nice, easy going people on all coasts in all countries. To act as though west coasters are so very friendly and east coasters are all stuck up and snobby is way off. Many people think people from Seattle, San Fran and parts of LA are snobby. Does this mean that all west coast people are? Of course not.

Beyond all of that clear up, I honestly can't say which coast I liked better. I love cities like NY, and I love cities like LA (where I lived). I think both cities have a lot of haters and they both deserve their fair share of respect and appreciation.
I realize that not everyone on the East Coast are douchebags, but there is a difference between being "constructively blunt" and being "plain anal" and many of the encounters I've had (whether on a forum or in real life) have been more of the later. This tends to drive me into "paintbrush-judgment" mode. And dealing with it on a constant basis just tires the patience to a point where I just need a break (possibly permanent) from the East Coast.

As I said before, I've been a tourist out West but a resident of the East, and I'll admit if it was the other way, my feelings of the East wouldn't be as judgmental, along with having a lot of other aspects about my life being more in the "right place for a 22-year-old."

Old 09-23-2011, 11:21 PM

4 posts, read 7,640 times
I can only compare California and Pennsylvania, and really only the cities of Los Angeles and Philadelphia from my own perspective. Philadelphia is charming for a short time. People don't tend to think outside the box. They call it tradition. I call it oppressive, boring, worse if you’re black and don't be Mexican. The city is dirty too. People are snobby, but it's okay because you don't want to know most of them. They're better than westerners at smiling in your face and shanking you in the neck. You will meet good apples, but they will be hard to spot because throwing each other under the bus is part of the culture. You’ll know you’ve given up when you start buying plaids.

Los Angeles is a place where people are too busy thinking of themselves to notice you, unless you’re “like” Stephen Spielberg or Tom Cruise. There are a lot of industry types, a lot from the east coast who brought their degrees and savvy. The win-win here is the same thing that makes it plastic. Beauty everywhere. You can be having a crappy day but it will be beautiful and perfect weather... Work is political like anywhere, but there’s more opportunity to move up in small companies or start your own. Key theme is opportunity. Philadelphia doesn’t have much of that unless you have a serious degree or connections. It’s too small and old – and nothing like New York.

Last edited by Acristal; 09-24-2011 at 12:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City