U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 04:02 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,571,140 times

Advertisements

It looks like a giant drill came through the ground from below. That or a twisty phallus.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:05 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,152,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Chicago is currently building the world's first 2,000 foot tall building
You mean North America's first 2,000 foot tall building.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:11 PM

7,820 posts, read 12,324,125 times
I'd say Miami because of all the new construction going on.

Runners-up are Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta. Charlotte is a good one too. I prefer skylines in newer cities because I'm a big fan of modern archtecture and prefer glass skyscrapers vs. brick buildings that I find depressing. I don't think New York City should be upheld as America's showcase of modernity. Chicago is pretty good too though.

Nashville is supposed to start building the tallest skyscraper outside of NYC and Chicago, we'll see how that turns out.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:26 PM

2,880 posts, read 6,167,376 times
Dubai for #1. There is an amazing amount of construction and planned building now. Other cities that will have much more impressive skylines in 10 yrs are Shanghai, Seoul, Moscow, and London. Not saying any of these cities (even including Dubai) will beat Hong Kong and NYC for skylines but they will look much different.

As far as just the U.S., NYC and Chicago both have very impressive development but this is nothing new. in 10 years I'd have NYC still ahead of Chicago but with the difference being quite small. Las Vegas, Miami, and even Nashville will all look much different. Even LA is undergoing a building boom but since its so spread out its less publicized.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:37 PM

79 posts, read 379,209 times
I think Atlanta in the future will begin to resemble Chicago of today. Atlanta currently has a lot of gaps, but once the they fill in, it will be impressive.
Houston will also grow nicely. I think Miami's boom will halt for a long while...due to the highrise condo market being overbuilt and foreign investors looking to invest in other cities (i.e. Atlanta, Charlotte, and Nashville).

Old 02-04-2008, 08:52 PM

11,877 posts, read 32,908,658 times
If all of Atlanta's skyscrapers were concentrated in one area, I think more people would be impressed with its current skyline. But as it stands, it's still fun to drive up and down I-85 and GA 400 from one clump of skyscrapers to the next (downtown to midtown to Buckhead to Sandy Springs).

At any rate, of the cities I've seen and with the skyscrapers being developed, I agree pretty much with what's been said. Obviously, NYC and Chicago will continue to have impressive skylines. My votes for the best new skylines, in alphabetical order:

Atlanta
Charlotte
Dallas
Houston
Nashville
San Francisco
Seattle

Old 02-04-2008, 08:58 PM

I didn't mean to imply Atlanta isn't already impressive.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:07 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,321,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm1984 View Post
I think Atlanta in the future will begin to resemble Chicago of today. Atlanta currently has a lot of gaps, but once the they fill in, it will be impressive.
Houston will also grow nicely. I think Miami's boom will halt for a long while...due to the highrise condo market being overbuilt and foreign investors looking to invest in other cities (i.e. Atlanta, Charlotte, and Nashville).
how distance future will it resemble Chicago? it will probably be a very long time before Atl looks like Chicago

Old 02-04-2008, 09:10 PM

I don't know how long it would take, but Atlanta reminds me of Chicago in that it's skyline is very linear...not a dense cluster.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:19 PM

4,908 posts, read 12,523,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
At any rate, of the cities I've seen and with the skyscrapers being developed, I agree pretty much with what's been said. Obviously, NYC and Chicago will continue to have impressive skylines. My votes for the best new skylines, in alphabetical order:

Atlanta
Charlotte
Dallas
Houston
Nashville
San Francisco
Seattle
I think you guys are getting a bit carried away with the upstarts especially Nashville,Charlotte and Atlanta.

None of those cities are even in the same galaxy as SF and Philadelphia.Hou,Dall,Atl skipped the city building process and went right to the vertical suburban office parks. Those cities are a good 30 years behind SF,Bos,Philly. A perpendicular row of glass boxes does not constitute a skyline. And no offense but give me a break with Nashville and Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or