Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city's residential architecture do you prefer?
Minneapolis 11 9.24%
Kansas City 3 2.52%
Chicago 58 48.74%
Milwaukee 7 5.88%
St. Louis 42 35.29%
Indianapolis 6 5.04%
Detroit 14 11.76%
Cincinnati 21 17.65%
Columbus 4 3.36%
Cleveland 12 10.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 01:11 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,060,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
"half southern"? st. louis? not exactly sure what you mean by that, but perhaps you've never actually been to the south. st. louis feels culturally like detroit, cleveland, pittsburgh much moreso than memphis, nashville or atlanta.
Throw Louisville into that pile of cities which St. Louis is nothing like. Even Springfield, Missouri doesn't feel as southern as Louisville. Driving between STL and Louisville feels like a vertical trip rather than an almost horizontal one. Yep...same thing with Indy and Cincinnati. Kansas City also feels more like Minneapolis, Des Moines, and Omaha also than Tulsa or Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 01:15 AM

tI would say that in general, the Midwest and Northeast have the most interesting architecture. Large Midwest cities and Northeast ones I would say have very classic, stylish architecture architecturally that the south and west just can't matchi. With regards to St. Louis, no city in the Midwest has an answer to the Arch. That IMO is architecture at its most stunning. How they built it and got it to stand was a truly amazing feat of engineering. St. Louis' bridges over the river, its large mixture of frame and brick, etc. is pretty interesting. Not to mention, many of its Catholic churches have a Gothic look and feel to them, similar to many in the Midwest. All those factories and steel mills along the river make it interesting too.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I haven't been to St. Louis, but given the age of the city and its German influence, I'm sure it parallels Cincinnati quite nicely (which I chose for the poll).
Milwaukee actually has pretty interesting architecture for this reason as well..its German influence is just as heavy as those two cities.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:37 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,240,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Residential Architecture

1. Chicago - sheer scale and diversity unmatched obviously
2. St. Louis - best assortment of historic neighborhoods, would top Chicago if it didn't have so much blight and was larger
3. Cincinnati -most beautiful collection of rowhouse neighborhoods in the Midwest, Over The Rhine is amazing

All the other Midwestern cities have pretty indistinguishable architecture in my humble opinion
Agreed with this ranking.

Here is some of my hometown Cleveland housing:

1) http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=10928.0

2) http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/inde...c,27103.0.html

Old 07-06-2012, 12:20 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,946,214 times
Chicago is number one in my opinion. The sheer variety of residential architecture in Chicago can only be rivaled by a few other cities in North America.

I agree with a lot of the others in their praise for St. Louis and Cincinnati. They both have some great historic residential neighborhoods.

Detroit has (or had) some amazing residential architecture, but I honestly don't know how much of it is even in tact these days.

Milwaukee had some attractive neighborhoods due to it's utilization of Lake Michigan, but the architecture itself was nothing special for the most part.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:46 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,103,386 times
St. Louis and Cincy have better residential architecture than Chicago. I don't know what the Midwest love affair is with bungalows and flats. The top neighborhoods in cities on the east coast feature row houses. From Boston to NYC to Phillty to Baltimore to DC. Row houses are much more urban and architecturally better. St. Louis has some great neighborhoods in this regard.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:24 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,913,256 times
Different strokes for different folks.

I've been in rowhouses in DC and Baltimore, they're great. I like the use of space. But if you grow up with the big old wood frame houses or brick bungalows, you appreciate their beauty, too.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:38 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,020,080 times
I'm definitely an East coast cat. I'll jump over a dozen bungalows to get to one row house. There's just something impressive about looking down a street and seeing a solid block of attached houses. That's when you know you're in the city.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:49 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,103,386 times
I know I have an east coat bias because I grew up in a row house in DC and in BK. I just don't like flats and bungalows. They look like they are about the blow away. Plus, I hate the ones with the yard parking space. It screams surburbia. DC has bungalows too. I hate them with a passion.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:56 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,487,940 times
lots of you are forgetting that Chicago HAS row homes, brownstones, greystones, and just about every other architectural variation you are talking about.

http://chicagoinpictures.com/images/...-rowhouses.jpg

http://media.rubloff.com/pics/realtor/15711/9297/

http://img2.etsystatic.com/il_fullxfull.333238686.jpg

And although not technically 'rowhouses'...I'm not so sure I would "jump over" an opportunity of living on this street.
http://goo.gl/maps/HIAY

Last edited by ForYourLungsOnly; 07-06-2012 at 10:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City