U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you prefer to live in?
California 129 65.15%
North Carolina 69 34.85%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 11:22 PM

20 posts, read 35,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
The OP is pretty apples to oranges but...

I've never been to North Carolina but a couple of neighbors are from there and our real-estate agent/great friend also is and they definitely speak very positively of the state.

The attributes that you mention here are exactly the qualities that I would deem most important to me in whether I would ever consider living anywhere. Asheville area looks beautiful to me and it seems like there are enough progressive folks/neighborhoods there and in the college towns to offset the evangelical/nascar crowd (which would quickly do me in if I had to deal too much with). Just as much as I hate sprawl, boring, conservative suburbs here I would avoid them like the plague there, but it seems like I could.

The sweeping generalizations from both sides are pretty funny- California is far too diverse in culture, density and geography to ever make any of them true except for cherry picking, (I grew up in rural mountains CA where we drove just as many 4x4 pickups with gun racks as what you would ever see in NC) as I'm sure equates to the generalizations of NC/The South, there are examples that tend to create them, but there are just as many to disprove them.

I'll be the first to admit there are plenty of crappy places/people here, but enough stunning natural areas and great cities to make it a perfectly fine place for me to live. But you certainly would seem to find a fine place to live in NC for a lot less. If I didn't already own a beautiful home in what I consider the best neighborhood with great friends/neighbors whom I always am socializing with here in a sweet city I would certainly consider it.

I do love my state but I would love to visit sometime.
I feel ya', T. Damon. You make great points about sweeping generalizations -- which seem to be propping up this discussion in the first place.

Where I am (Chapel Hill/Durham), overzealous Bible thumpers are quite frowned upon -- not simply because they're religious, but because they are generally viewed as uneducated and/or unwelcoming. Divisive craziness in any form is simply not tolerated here.

I think you would loooove Asheville. Honestly, I've never heard of anyone not liking it. Only this is, Asheville is sort of a valley of incredible open-mindedness, flanked by several not-so-progressive mountain towns. Step 30 miles outside the city in say, Marion, and it's a COMPLETELY different story (i.e., 4x4s and gun racks aplenty!)

The Chapel Hill and Durham areas are both quite progressive, but in their own way. CH has more of a college feel -- its socially- and environmentally-conscious reputation extends well beyond the downtown area, into the 'burbs and onto the greenways. Durham has more of an urban edge -- as it is larger -- but contains its identity well within the city limits as an innovative, progressive community, churning out everything from sliding-scale-operated food merchants (access for all!), hand-churned, apple-balsamic ice cream (made with milk and apples from farms the next county over), and bike co-ops. The list is endless.

You should come on down and see us! Lots of pretty fall color on the trees right now, although the chill in the air has definitely kicked in. I'm not a real estate/welcome center agent or anything, but I'm quite proud of NC. As a non-native of the state, I was delighted to discover how unique it truly is.

I had a friend once tell me that I should become a travel writer. Looks like I may have "sold" you on Cackalacky I think I'll have to book a trip to Cali soon, too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 01:53 AM

4,638 posts, read 7,065,420 times
^^^
You have a lot of "Pride Of Place" which I always admire. I bet the trees there are beautiful now- I totally miss that and Chapel Hill and Durham sound like a lot of fun. You describe them like a huge version of my neighborhood, where chain businesses are not allowed and everyone is all about shopping local, getting your food sourced nearby and just plain getting involved in the 'hood.

SOUTH PARK San Diego - check out the Gallery>more photos and the walkabout and tell me that this doesn't look like a cool little area, it's not what most folks think of when they picture a neighborhood in Southern Ca. it's not the same as the lush, green South and the beautiful hills by Asheville but most everyplace has some unique beauty to experience I say.

I know that are places like this all over the country, even better when they are in a beautiful area as well right? I'm all about exploring them when I can and meeting some cool people along the way.

Cheers

Last edited by T. Damon; 11-07-2011 at 02:04 AM..

Old 11-07-2011, 08:52 PM

20 posts, read 35,753 times
Okay. I'm in love with South Park, San Diego! Very artsy, quaint and cozy. Reminds me a bit of Carrboro, NC (except Carrboro isn't quite as "souped up" for lack of a better word... but still pretty awesome: Matt Barrett's Guide to Carrboro, North Carolina). Takoma Park, MD comes to mind, as well.

But yes -- these are the kinds of places that speak to me. I wish more South Parks existed in the world, but I guess "balance" is important. Diversity is the spice of life, right?

Thanks for the link, T. Damon. Perhaps we'll cross paths sometime

Take care,
FF

Old 11-08-2011, 04:50 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 961,365 times
I would rather live in Charlotte, NC if forced to choose because the city/state has an econonomic future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or