Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you prefer to live in?
California 198 66.00%
North Carolina 102 34.00%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 08:36 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
4 Seasons climate exists in a large portion of California, you know that, right?
not where most of the population lives...
i.e. San Diego, Los Angeles, San Jose, San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 08:56 AM

37 posts, read 132,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatcity View Post
For what its worth, I spent over a decade living in each state (NC: mostly in Charlotte; CA: Los Angeles). As a friend of mine said, "North Carolina is heaven if you are a white Protestant." It has gorgeous scenery, mild weather and friendly people. It is very laidback. However, if you are not part of the majority group, you might feel more comfortable in a state that embraces diversity. Overall, I feel that California serves my needs better as a religious minority.
As an openly gay man, I can definitely speak to the experience of being a minority in NC. And I would never downplay the conservative, evangelical presence in NC (including the vast majority of my own family). It's alive and well. However, the gay and gay-friendly populations are alive, well and active here, too. We have defeated a constitutional ban on gay marriage being put on the ballot six years running. If it were to come to a vote in this state, we would undoubtedly vote to ban gay marriage, just like every other state has (except Washington... I think...) - including California - but the fact that it has not even been allowed to reach that point makes me proud. I am also proud of other progressive legislation that NC has passed, including hospital visitation rights for domestic partners on which Pres. Obama's federal order was based.

I can certainly understand people wanting to live in a place that embraces diversity (which I highly value), but, even in California, you have live on top of millions of other people to get that. A comparison of NC & CA 111th congressional maps shows large swaths of red in CA including highly populated areas surrounding LA and SD. Only the extremely urban areas of CA and the coastal area of NoCal appear to be consistently democratic. On the other hand, NC is a patchwork. Although I believe the whole red/blue mentality is a false dichotomy, I do find it instructive.

Here, I live on 3 acres, have a view of tree covered mountains, and have no more trouble (possibly less so) living as a partnered gay man than I would have in the vast majority of this country. And I have no problem whatsoever finding others here who are either progressive thinkers or open to diversity. For me, it is the perfect mix. It may not be for other people and that's fine. One great thing about diversity is understanding that what works for one person may not work for another and that your way isn't necessarily better. I could easily make a list of things I love and hate about both states and my list will undoubtedly differ from someone elses. That's a lesson some posters on this thread seem to need because there is one thing I do not tolerate - arrogance.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:45 AM

705 posts, read 1,660,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
not where most of the population lives...
i.e. San Diego, Los Angeles, San Jose, San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento
Yes, those who consider shoveling snow one of their top winter priorities can live in the Sierras. Four seasons climate is the standard midwest copout when talking about weather.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:27 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Yes, those who consider shoveling snow one of their top winter priorities can live in the Sierras. Four seasons climate is the standard midwest copout when talking about weather.
I don't see it as a "cop-out", since variety is more enjoyable; I love cold, snowy, wintry weather..

Having said this, I'd vote for CA; NC is just too hot/humid for me..

(BTW, neither state really has 4-season weather...)

Old 07-22-2010, 10:46 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,665 times
North Carolina. I wouldn't move to California for all the money in their treasury.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:54 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
You quoted me, then did not address the quote. The Sierras again, are not where most people live.
If you want a city that has 4 seasons climate, California does not offer it.
Again, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Jose, Oakland, San Francisco, Sacramento, are the 6 major cities in California, they are all mediterannean climates. Having 4 seasons *in* the city greatly changes the feel of the city during those seasons. That is all anybody is saying.
Most people who actually live in the northern cities do not shovel snow. They have city workers that clean the streets and sidewalks.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:58 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,759,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
You quoted me, then did not address the quote. The Sierras again, are not where most people live.
If you want a city that has 4 seasons climate, California does not offer it.
Again, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Jose, Oakland, San Francisco, Sacramento, are the 6 major cities in California, they are all mediterannean climates. Having 4 seasons *in* the city greatly changes the feel of the city during those seasons. That is all anybody is saying.
Most people who actually live in the northern cities do not shovel snow. They have city workers that clean the streets and sidewalks.
It's not like NOBODY lives in the Sierras. There are plenty of liveable towns and some small sized cities in the Seriia Nevada. Therefore unless you are looking for a big city to live in, then there are plenty of places in CA that offer a 4 season climate.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:17 PM

611 posts, read 774,246 times
Northern California with a capital "N" for me.
Northern and southern California are like two different states.
Many people wish they were.
I have friends in North Carolina and it's okay, but not my style.
Lots of fun stuff to so in southern California too.
Whatever turns you on!

Old 07-22-2010, 01:52 PM

179 posts, read 402,410 times
IMO this isn't even a contest. California!

North Carolina has what...Charlotte? Raleigh? None of those exceed a population of 1 mil.
California has Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, San Jose, etc. etc.

While NC has great national parks, beaches etc., but California's are 10x better (proximity to yosemite, Redwood) so you can't say there's no nature there. And they also have great skiing!

I can't think of one thing that NC has that CA doesn't.

Last edited by giantsfan11490; 07-22-2010 at 02:29 PM..

Old 07-22-2010, 02:24 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,759,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan11490 View Post
IMO this isn't even a contest. California!

North Carolina has what...Charlotte? Raleigh? None of those exceed a population of 1 mil.
California has Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, San Jose, etc. etc.

While NC has great national parks, beaches etc., but California's are 10x better (proximity to Yellowstone, Redwood) so you can't say there's no nature there. And they also have great skiing!

I can't think of one thing that NC has that CA doesn't.
Are you thinking of Yosemite?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City