U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 04:12 PM

28,070 posts, read 25,203,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I noticed that. "Not quite as much" implies that the two are somewhat close. It's like saying Kobe Bryant (6'6) is not "quite as" tall as Lebron James (6'8). That makes sense. But it wouldn't make any sense to say that Ty Lawson is not "quite as" tall as Kobe Bryant. There's an eight inch height difference between the two. Similarly, there's a pretty significant disparity between DC's daytime and nighttime pedestrian presence and Atlanta's.
Good lord you're a nitpicky one...lol. At any rate, I've made my point clear in this regard.

Quote:
I don't exactly consider West Peachtree Street, Courtland Avenue and Piedmont Avenue to be "walkable" routes. They are walkable in the sense that "they can be walked along" but not walkable in the sense that anyone who is not below the federal poverty line and owns an automobile would ever consider doing it (absent parking in a lot and having to walk a few blocks to get somewhere).
Well I was referring to the fact that other areas of downtown beyond Peachtree do have buildings pulled up to the street that are conducive to urban development. But the types of establishments in these areas (and some of the buildings are vacant) aren't those that would attract your average pedestrian. But if things turn around in these areas, you don't have to start from the ground up because the bones are already in place. To use the Charleston example, it would be akin to areas north of Calhoun outside of the historic district proper. So in downtown, Peachtree is still the main spine but things are a bit more fleshed out than in Midtown and Buckhead. There's a pretty noticeable difference in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or