U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 01:45 PM

897 posts, read 889,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR121 View Post
My intentions were to show that Chicago is on LA's level or maybe slightly ahead and I think I have. We can both agree on that.

BUT my other point is that LA is closer to the size of NYC, so why is it with Chicago to begin with?

For that, "for it's size" will have to do.
yes I understand, and maybe Chicago will always have an edge on LA in the downtown department I agree with you on that, however "for its size" LA does have a lot of other nodes that make up for the decentralization of the city and metro
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 01:51 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,884,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
I never been to Minny but have been told place gets deserted during winter
Sometimes in the coldest parts of the winter or during snowstorms there isn't much pedestrian activity but that is only a few months. Also winter cold is relative, after a few days below zero normal cold seems warm so people come back out. It was about 20 degrees when I took this picture:

ex2 by afsmps, on Flickr

Old 07-04-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Sometimes in the coldest parts of the winter or during snowstorms there isn't much pedestrian activity but that is only a few months. Also winter cold is relative, after a few days below zero normal cold seems warm so people come back out. It was about 20 degrees when I took this picture:

ex2 by afsmps, on Flickr
Yea you're right and this not only a Minneapolis phenomenon it happens in all the frost belt, I think I jumped to conclusions on Minny from heresay, I guess Detroit would be a good candidate however I don't know much about the pedestrian activity out there

Old 07-04-2012, 03:08 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,292,759 times
Quote:
your talking as if all 18 million people are in the city of LA, I am comparing downtown to downtown and surrounding neighborhoods, have you visited both cities before? If you did you would know LA's pedestrian activity is almost equal to that of Chicago's even with a crappier PT
I've lived in both, and there is no way LA has the pedestrian activity that Chicago does. I'm not simply referring to their downtowns either.

LA certainly has more pedestrian activity than any of it's sunbelt counterparts, but not Chicago.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I've lived in both, and there is no way LA has the pedestrian activity that Chicago does.
I went there in 2006 with a friend visiting and I did not see how Chicago blowing LA out of the water in pedestrian activity especially when we're talking about areas like Pico Union, Ktown, Mac Arthur park, Echo Park etc. unless you lived in another part of the city I don't see Chicago on a whole different level unless you're talking about seeing white people walking the streets which is a different story

Old 07-04-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I've lived in both, and there is no way LA has the pedestrian activity that Chicago does. I'm not simply referring to their downtowns either.

LA certainly has more pedestrian activity than any of it's sunbelt counterparts, but not Chicago.
You see I'm not saying LA out does Chicago that never was my intention I'm not blind either when I went to Chicago, all I'm saying is that Chicago does not blow away LA in pedestrian activity geesh what's so hard to understand about that

Old 07-04-2012, 03:28 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,292,759 times
Quote:
I went there in 2006 with a friend visiting and I did not see how Chicago blowing LA out of the water in pedestrian activity especially when we're talking about areas like Pico Union, Ktown, Mac Arthur park, Echo Park etc. unless you lived in another part of the city I don't see Chicago on a whole different level unless you're talking about seeing white people walking the streets which is a different story
Haha, well LA is certainly much more diverse and integrated than Chicago there is no question about that. I was working there last week and my wife and I kept getting looks from people. My wife is convinced it's because I'm Middle Eastern and she's Asian. We went to Chinatown and I got so many glares it wasn't even funny. I swear we were the only mixed race couple I even saw this time around. Chicago is segregated to the max.

This all said, I liked living in LA much more than Chicago. Im a bit biased because I grew up in the South Bay. But for foot traffic, we have to give them the nod on this one.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:53 PM

836 posts, read 1,557,879 times
The inner city of Rochester lacks the same level of pedestrian activity seen in similar sized cities due to a weak downtown, a suburban car-centric mentality and poor urban planning.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:57 PM

190 posts, read 354,257 times
Quote:
OK then 2 can play that game also, since you want to take this to a metro level LA flattens Chicago in pedestrian activiy, try Hollywood, West Hollywood, Santa Monica, Venice, Huntington Park, Florence/Graham district, DT Pasadena, East LA, etc. see how that works dawg check and mate
You forgot Long Beach, Huntington Beach, Glendale, Burbank, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, and Laguna Beach, there are more as well.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
You forgot Long Beach, Huntington Beach, Glendale, Burbank, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, and Laguna Beach, there are more as well.
All the ones you mentioned are spotty when it comes to pedestrian activity, downtown LB is probably the most constant one out of those, the other ones are hit or miss depending on the weather
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or